We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Permaculture Options

Aegle
#1 Posted : 8/8/2011 11:05:32 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Ive been studying permaculture and its really awe inspiring how just working with nature in such a passive way works so beautifully... I came across Geoff Lawtons videos the other day and I find his approach and attitude so refreshing and intriguing so I really wanted to share these with you guys.

Here are a few links to some of Geoffs videos:

Greening the Desert

300 Year Old Food Forest in Vietnam

2,000 Year Old Food Forest in Morocco

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Laban Shrewsbury III
#2 Posted : 8/9/2011 12:57:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm interested in the principles of permaculture too, but I've noticed that the field seems to be beset by a lot of well-intentioned but naive theoreticians and even some outright hucksters. Case in point: one of the foremost examples of permaculture in action, the chicken coop greenhouse, works very well in theory but in practice is basically unworkable; nobody knows anybody who has successfully implemented this famous idea into any kind of small-scale farming setup over the 30+ years of it being taught. But that doesn't stop the permaculture 'experts' from preaching it as part of their expensive courses.

This general lack of practical testing supported by the overwhelmingly for-profit ethos of the experts means a lot of bullshit ideas such as this get perpetuated, and if nobody has challenged the stupid chicken coop idea, which has been permaculture 101 for decades now, then that rather casts doubt on the credibility of the experts' more elaborate and ambitious proposals, doesn't it?

I do support permaculture in general and it's certainly worth studying the theories behind it. But remember they are just that: theories. Until there emerges a worldwide base of amateur practitioners exploring and developing the field through empirical means (as is happening currently with, say, aquaponics) and sharing their knowledge freely with others, take everything bearing the 'permaculture' tag with a grain of salt.
Sometimes I believe that this less material life is our truer life, and that our vain presence on the terraqueous globe is itself the secondary or merely virtual phenomenon.

MelCat
#3 Posted : 9/14/2011 10:58:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Aegle, thank you for sharing this.

I've seen these videos and he has a lot more videos available as well. I've just started watching the Permaculture Design Certificate Course program and it is packed full of useful information. There is another video called Permaculture Soils which shows you step by step on how to create your own compost and the best ways to distribute it throughout your growing area.

I think it is amazing how you can orchestrate and improve on nature with a bit of innovation and hard work.

I feel that everyone should study as many permaculture techniques as possible. My personal opinion is that it is the only thing that can really save our species for the long term.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope others will choose to learn more about these concepts.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Aegle
#4 Posted : 9/23/2011 10:21:16 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
Hey Aegle, thank you for sharing this.

I've seen these videos and he has a lot more videos available as well. I've just started watching the Permaculture Design Certificate Course program and it is packed full of useful information. There is another video called Permaculture Soils which shows you step by step on how to create your own compost and the best ways to distribute it throughout your growing area.

I think it is amazing how you can orchestrate and improve on nature with a bit of innovation and hard work.

I feel that everyone should study as many permaculture techniques as possible. My personal opinion is that it is the only thing that can really save our species for the long term.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope others will choose to learn more about these concepts.

Melodic Catastrophe

No worries, I hope so to my friend as I really truly feel the best way forward is through permaculture, cultivating our own food as well as reconnecting through community. I am trying my best to make permaculture a way of life as well as my vocation so that I can truly change the world through changing myself, it is such a profound concept which really resonates with me as I have made a complete metamorphosis from being an environmental activist trying to change the world to a permaculturist trying to change myself so that i may change the world. Thank you for your kind words...

Much Peace and Happiness
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

clearlyone
#5 Posted : 9/29/2011 1:20:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Aegle

Thank you for the links. 300 years - 28 Generations! Almost all their food and medicine on 2 acres.

Permaculture is an emerging passion and study for me as well. In some ways it's more than just permanent agriculture - it really points toward permanent culture. I have been feeling a strong need internally to connect back to the basics of humanity and nature - not unusual around here. Starting with food self sufficiency at least at the community level is what speaks to me.

The best thing I could imagine leaving my children is such a food forest - the beginning of 28 generations of sustainability and connection with the earth.

A good resource on permaculture in temperate climates (if that's your lot): http://www.tcpermaculture.com

Peace
"Blinded by their own sight, hearing, feeling, and knowing, they don't perceive the radiance of the source. If they could eliminate all conceptual thinking, this source would appear, like the sun rising through the empty sky and illuminating the whole universe." - Huang Po

balaganist
#6 Posted : 1/21/2012 2:59:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did a permaculture course in the summer, and now studying for a diploma in applied permaculture here in the UK.

It was one of the most inspiring courses I've done in my life.
Laban - I totally get what you mean. I have seen very few places implementing those kind of full-on permaculture ideas. Mostly I have seen polyculture vegetable beds and forest gardens in their early stages. I think this whole way of thinking is still quite new, (actually I think its very old but we have forgotten it..) but spreading. I think to really succeed and spread as far as it should, I think people need to let go of the permaculture label.. I think it puts some people off.

At its core, its basically common sense and a sane way of doing things. Concious design, adhereing to the principles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture#Holmgren.27s_12_design_principles) and ethics - Earth care, People care, Fair share.

The trouble is the people that need to be convinced most, the mass monoculture industrial farmers and agrobusiness, are the ones who really don't care about some hippy ideas about saving the planet. They want figures, results. Even a lot of organic farming isnt very good for the earth.

But the power of this information is giving people the courage and knowledge to go out and try and implement these ideas into their lives.
Its a breath of fresh air after all the doom and gloom predictions. I for one am pretty fired up these days about living sustainably, being less dependent on the state... growing my own food and medicine, and generating my own energy are a big part of that (I am not doing it yet but def moving towards it!)

Laban Shrewsbury III wrote:
I'm interested in the principles of permaculture too, but I've noticed that the field seems to be beset by a lot of well-intentioned but naive theoreticians and even some outright hucksters. Case in point: one of the foremost examples of permaculture in action, the chicken coop greenhouse, works very well in theory but in practice is basically unworkable; nobody knows anybody who has successfully implemented this famous idea into any kind of small-scale farming setup over the 30+ years of it being taught. But that doesn't stop the permaculture 'experts' from preaching it as part of their expensive courses.

This general lack of practical testing supported by the overwhelmingly for-profit ethos of the experts means a lot of bullshit ideas such as this get perpetuated, and if nobody has challenged the stupid chicken coop idea, which has been permaculture 101 for decades now, then that rather casts doubt on the credibility of the experts' more elaborate and ambitious proposals, doesn't it?

I do support permaculture in general and it's certainly worth studying the theories behind it. But remember they are just that: theories. Until there emerges a worldwide base of amateur practitioners exploring and developing the field through empirical means (as is happening currently with, say, aquaponics) and sharing their knowledge freely with others, take everything bearing the 'permaculture' tag with a grain of salt.

balaganist is a fictional character who loves playing the game of infinite existence. he amuses himself by posting stories about his made up life in our plane of physical reality. his origins are in other dimensions... he merely comes here to play.

Aegle
#7 Posted : 9/4/2012 7:36:10 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Clearlyone

No problem, nature never ceases to amaze me... If you find permaculture fascinating you should also look into biodynamic agriculture developed by Rudolf Steiner as its also a system of agriculture that is similar to permaculture that i find incredibly interesting.

Indeed our existence is about contributing to humanity and a food forest is an incredibly profound gift to give. Thank you so very much for the link its an excellent source of information. Pleased

Aegle
#8 Posted : 9/4/2012 7:41:47 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Balaganist

I think living through example is the most powerful thing we can do when it comes to changing the system as it does create a ripple effect and the only way we can truly inspire and change things is through changing ourselves. Very happy

Much Peace and Respect

Aegle
#9 Posted : 11/7/2012 9:37:01 PM

Cloud Whisperer

My Permaculture Community Design...

Design Checklist

Environmental Analysis

1. Site

History - logged, cropped, pastured, sprayed...
(talk to locals, use old maps, photos)

2. Zoning

From council, also zoning history

3. Topography

From contour maps or field survey
Identify key line
Mark valleys and ridges
Determine slope gradient

4. Aspect

South to South - West most desirable
Hot summer slopes
Cool summer slopes

5. Wind

Wind direction and strength for specific seasons

6. Soils and Geology

Geology maps
Types of soil and analysis
Soil tests
Field test kits
Drainage and absorption
Soil depths, a and b levels
Stability of site

7. Vegetation

Flora - mix, identification, health
Forests - type, age, condition, value
Density
Exotic species present
Ground cover
Poisonous plants

8. Habitation

Fauna - grazing animals
Water fowl - native birds
Native animals
Introduced animals
Creatures of pain and fear (eg: green ants)

9. Climate

Altitude
Frost
Hail - timing, frequency, directions
Storms - timing, frequency, directions
Ave. rainfall
Min. and max temperatures

10. Hydrology

Drainage patterns
Springs
Creeks and streams - permanent

11. Transport

Farm roads
New roads required - cost?

12. Particular Features

Rock outcrops
Slips
Water falls
Caves
Swimming holes
Suitable windmill, hydraulic ram sites
Views

13. Utilities

Electricity, gas, town water, telephone, sewage,
shops, schools, hospitals, public transport,
sawmills, fire bridge

14. Council Constraints

Permission of land use
Water use
Easements

15. Macro

Whats happening upstream and over the fence

16. Resources

Sawmill
Free plant and seed sources

17. Also to Consider

Noise levels, rail, aircraft, rods, visual pollution,
archaeology, sacred sires, fire timing ans direction

MelCat
#10 Posted : 11/7/2012 10:04:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome work Aegle!! I can't wait to see how this progresses.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Aegle
#11 Posted : 11/7/2012 10:12:17 PM

Cloud Whisperer

MelCat

Why thank you, you are too kind Sir... Just thought it would be lovely to share with you guys. Embarrased

Much Peace and Happiness

Vodsel
#12 Posted : 11/7/2012 10:45:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

My utmost respect for this, Aegle. Looks awesome and solid. I'd happily move with my family to a project like this and break my back digging.

Aegle
#13 Posted : 11/7/2012 10:57:03 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Vodsel

I'm greatly honoured by your post... I am pouring a lot of love and concern into every detail of this project. These are my plans for the near future, it is of a great importance to move towards a more sustainable and community orientated way of living. Truly its all about recreating the tribe.

Much Peace and Understanding

Ice House
#14 Posted : 11/18/2012 4:01:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

Very nice thread Aegle. Wonderful information! Thank you for sharing. I dont read enough about permaculture. I have been doing it for a while now but not as efficiently or as effectively as I could.

Warm Regards,

IH
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

staresatwalls
#15 Posted : 11/19/2012 6:32:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MelCat wrote:
Awesome work Aegle!! I can't wait to see how this progresses.

yeah, geoff lawton is awesome. i can't believe how uncommon food forests are. Thumbs up
‎"Trust in your own wetware; your psyche and your body will be reunited." -Gracie and Zarkov

in plants we trust

Aegle
#16 Posted : 11/21/2012 3:05:54 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Ice House

Thank you for your kind words, though I think that you are being incredibly modest as I have seen the photographs of your beautiful homestead... Which are amazing and exuded the very essence of permaculture, they left me in awe and completely inspired.

Much Peace and Kindness

Vodsel
#17 Posted : 12/17/2012 8:22:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Aegle
#18 Posted : 12/18/2012 4:05:59 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Vodsel

Such a beautiful thread, thank you for making my day...

Much Peace and Understanding