We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Question about the Properties of IPA Options

Apoc
#1 Posted : 8/7/2011 7:02:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

HI! I was wondering about using IPA for ayahuasca instead of water. Don't worry, I'm not thinking of boiling IPA, this would be a cold IPA wash. Reason being because IPA evaporates fast and I'd like to evap the aya down to nothing. So I was just wondering if this would work. Anyone know if IPA has any particular ability to hold naturally salted dmt in solution? Does it work better than water?

One more question. Suppose one has a a mimosa tea composed of IPA. What if one were to add naptha as a defat step? Is it ok to mix ipa with naptha? Thanks, mates.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 8/7/2011 11:28:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if you dont base the plant material, IPA isnt usually a very good solvent for alkaloids in salt form, I know that specially for harmalas it sucks as a solvent, even if harmalas are in freebase form. Look into the "cake method", its kinda similar, do a pre-extraction with soak in a similar solvent, evap it down for a crude product which can be further cleaned up. Maybe doing mimosa paste with calcium hydroxide, letting dry and then pulling with IPA a couple of times would get most alkaloids, but yeah a lot of impurities too, it would be quite crude.

In the beginning of the post you say "ayahuasca", so if that includes extracting harmalas this way, forget about it because as I said IPA sucks as solvent for harmalas. Ethanol works a bit better, and methanol works better than both. But methanol is toxic so make sure it has evaporated completely before u consume it, maybe adding a bit of water at the end once it seems dry and letting it dry again. Also make sure the solvent being used evaps clean.

Lastly, what do you mean with mixing naphtha? What is the point of what you're doing? Are you mixing naphtha with the dry product or with the IPA/solvent before it evaps? I dont see the point of adding before it evaps, because naphtha/ipa will mix, so how will you separate them? If its when dry and if you pulled salt alkaloids, yeah you can use it to defat, but what do you want to do? Why not simply recrystallize the final base product with naphtha if you're using that solvent anyways, and avoid a wasteful defat?

Apoc
#3 Posted : 8/7/2011 6:17:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dang, ok I guess I can scratch that idea. The idea was to get an evaporated crude product for oral use, with zero steps except soaking, and quick evaporating, and an optional defat. No heating at all. To me, it would be the ultimate efficient ayahuasca (including mimosa), and easier to store, with the option of adding vinegar and storing as an acetate tincture. Also, I thought the lack of heat in this potential tek might even preserve the highly sought after jungle spice or yuremamine, or whatever it is that makes raw mimosa so interesting.

But if I have to add base, I might as well just do an a/b, and might as well use a more common solvent. I thought IPA would work because I thought it was non polar, which is why I thought it would be ok to use ipa and naptha together. I thought they would separate and the naptha would pull the fats, while leaving the dmt salts in the ipa, like how a defat works with water and naptha.

Unfortunately, ethanol is too expensive, and methanol is too poisonous for my liking. There’s still the option of just using water, except it takes long to evaporate, and I believe that by using heat to evaporate the liquids, it results in a sticky resin that’s hard to work with. I was hoping that a room temperature evaporation would result in an easy to work with oil, or maybe even a solid, if fumaric acid is added, dare I say.

Acetone wouldn’t be good for pulling salts either, would it?

endlessness
#4 Posted : 8/7/2011 6:21:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What about vodka? Maybe that could work..

and no acetone will not be good either (thats why you use it to wash dmt fumarate for example)

The Day Tripper
#5 Posted : 8/8/2011 1:34:26 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
When i did my drytek, i evapped my mimosa down to a powder. Granted it was a thick liquid, then a goo, then solidified goo, then i had to scrape it up as it broke up as shards. It was a solid, and i was able to grind it down to a powder. I used fumaric acid, and did not boil it for long periods of time/reduced over a amount of time. No hard boiling and stirring often. Possible that brewing longer/hotter will result in a goo and not a powder.

However, even if you end up with a goo, you can just freebase that with lime, make a paste adding just enough water. You could then spread this paste out and let it dry naturally, or just add some dehydrated mgso4 from epsom salts. Once its dry, you can pull with dlimo, naptha, etoh, ipa, acetone, etc. Just mix powder well with solvent, decant or filter well. Then salt or evap.

I have even considered doing an acetone only or ipa only drytek a/b and salting my alkaloids out of the solvent. If you just added fasa or fasi into your DMT containing ipa/acetone, wouldn't dmt fumarate precipitate out?

Definitely something i plan on trying.

Good luck with your mimosa, however you decide to prepare it.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

Apoc
#6 Posted : 8/25/2011 7:31:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I did a small acetone experiment. I put put 5g of mimosa in a small jar, put in some acetone, let it sit for a day. The acetone turned very purple very quickly, and that was encouraging. Then I poured off the acetone and let it evaporate. There were no solid impurities, as the acetone soaked mimosa stuck quite hard to the bottom of the jar. The result was about 1g of goo that turned solid when fully dried and was easy to scrape up. My hopes were high at this point because I took away 1/5 the weight of the mimosa with the acetone wash. Some of that has to to be dmt right?

Well, I consumed the extracted mimosa, 20 minutes after dosing with my standard 4g Syrian Rue dose. The effects were very mild. It was more sedating than the rue alone, but no notable psychedelic effects. There must have been SOME dmt in there, but not much. Maybe 5mg from 5g of mimosa. So, unfortunately, the acetone wash did not work well at all, despite removing a significant amount of other soluble matter from the mimosa powder.

The Day Tripper
#7 Posted : 8/25/2011 8:43:50 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Apoc wrote:
I did a small acetone experiment. I put put 5g of mimosa in a small jar, put in some acetone, let it sit for a day. The acetone turned very purple very quickly, and that was encouraging. Then I poured off the acetone and let it evaporate. There were no solid impurities, as the acetone soaked mimosa stuck quite hard to the bottom of the jar. The result was about 1g of goo that turned solid when fully dried and was easy to scrape up. My hopes were high at this point because I took away 1/5 the weight of the mimosa with the acetone wash. Some of that has to to be dmt right?

Well, I consumed the extracted mimosa, 20 minutes after dosing with my standard 4g Syrian Rue dose. The effects were very mild. It was more sedating than the rue alone, but no notable psychedelic effects. There must have been SOME dmt in there, but not much. Maybe 5mg from 5g of mimosa. So, unfortunately, the acetone wash did not work well at all, despite removing a significant amount of other soluble matter from the mimosa powder.

Try making a lime or sodium carbonate paste with your bark and drying before pulling with acetone. That should work much better than a straight acetone pull, being that the dmt is more soluble as a freebase in acetone.

I never really understood why people try to pull alkaloid salts with alcohols, when the freebase forms are much more soluble. Not to mention that basifying will greatly reduce the amount of impurities pulled.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.” - Wendell Berry

endlessness
#8 Posted : 8/25/2011 9:20:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Apoc wrote:

As I said and as daytripper also mentioned, dmt salts are very poorly (or not at all) soluble in acetone. Freebase the mimosa before.