We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Can you tell me how to remove green pigment from my plant extract? Options

TimePantry
#1 Posted : 7/11/2011 3:02:11 PM

It's a field.

Hi, I have a problem with a different process, but one that may be enough related to other projects here to find someone with an answer.

I have prepared an alcohol-based extract of a common green plant, intended for topical application to my skin. I am very happy with the results, with this one exception:

Because it is very concentrated, there is just a hell of a lot of green pigment in there from the chlorophyll. It gives my face a greenish caste which, you know, isn't cool.

After poring over my data, I have ascertained that the chlorophyll is not considered a part of the active compound, and so I don't need it in there for my extract to work.

The problem is, I can't get the green out. Filter paper didn't do much. I think that any process involving heat would be a bad idea as it might destroy the active constituents. And I don't have any apparatus for distilling.

Is there some other way I have overlooked? (Or never heard of.)
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 7/11/2011 3:04:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What active compound is it? The trick is usually to find a solvent the compound is (or isnt) soluble in, while the inverse happens with chlorophyl. Sometimes defat in acidic stage can work, but it would be more like an a/b and not an alcohol based extract as you are doing.. So better know which plant you are talking about and then maybe we can help better

bongz
#3 Posted : 7/11/2011 9:44:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nobody else seemed to find this useful but i know it works...

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=23236

TimePantry
#4 Posted : 7/14/2011 7:18:12 AM

It's a field.

Here's the abstract. I've just realized, they don't actually say what the active substance is; not sure why I know that the chlorophyll isn't necessary. I'll have to search the other data I have.

"Abstracts
Abstracts of papers that were published in the IFSCC MAGAZINE,Volume 10, No 1, 2007
Blackberry leaf extract: a multifunctional anti-aging active
Martina Herrmann*, Susanne Grether-Beck โ€  , Imke Meyer*, Helge Franke*, Holger Joppe*, Jean Krutmann โ€  and Gabriele Vielhaber*
*Symrise GmbH & Co KG, Research Cosmetic Ingredients, Mühlenfeldstr. 1, 37603 Holzminden, Germany , โ€  Environmental Health Research Institute, Auf'm Hennekamp 50, 40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
Copyright 2007 International Journal of Cosmetic Science
ABSTRACT

Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) play a major role in wrinkle formation. Their expression increases with aging and is further enhanced by UV irradiation. Blackberry (Rubus fruticosus) leaf extract has been shown to suppress MMP-1, -2 and -9 in cell-free assays. We have now further explored the activity of this extract. The effect on MMP-1 expression at the protein and the mRNA level was investigated using non-irradiated and UVA-irradiated human dermal fibroblasts. The extract showed a dose-dependent reduction of the MMP-1 protein level of both irradiated and non-irradiated cells with an almost complete inhibition at a dosage of 0.1%. MMP-1 mRNA expression of UVA-irradiated cells was decreased after pre-incubation as well as after post-incubation with the extract. Best results were obtained with combined pre- and post-treatment (0.1% extract led to 59% reduction in comparison with the respective control). Moreover, we found that blackberry leaf extract inhibits IL-1a, a cytokine known to induce MMP expression. At a dosage of 0.2% the inhibition was 40% compared with that of the stimulated control. The extract also exhibited a potent radical scavenging activity comparable to that of a-tocopherol as was shown by the ABTS assay. Taken together, these biological activities make blackberry leaf extract a highly efficient multifunctional anti-aging active."
"What's wrong with that generation? ... Is this what comes of putting on Pink Floyd laser lightshows down at the Planetarium?" --Spider Robinson

TimePantry
#5 Posted : 7/14/2011 7:28:02 AM

It's a field.

Found it! Okay, now my question has changed a bit. I have some french clay; would that work? If I were to use activated charcoal, how would the process go? Just grind it up & pour it in?

Here's the relevant paragraph from a different paper:

"A further advantage of the preparation according to the invention and thus also of its production process according to the invention is that the preparation can be largely or completely decolourised with conventional chlorophyll removal methods, for example by the addition of activated carbon or bleaching clay directly during extraction or in a subsequent step..."

fksongqi
#6 Posted : 7/14/2011 8:24:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks to share
]

bindu
#7 Posted : 7/14/2011 2:19:13 PM

i remember once adding some vinegar to my green much and then decanted all the green off

worked well for my reduced alcoholic chakruna extract
blessed be all forms of intelligence