We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
gramine solubility Options

jamie
#1 Posted : 7/5/2011 4:51:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

not sure where to really post this so I posted it here..

Does anyone have a list or link to a list of various solvents gramine is soluble in?..Do we know if it is soluble in limonene? I dont want to bother with naptha or other toxic solvents unless I really have to, and I just started a phalaris extraction..

I cant find anything on the solubility of gramine in limonene anywhere..

Long live the unwoke.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 7/5/2011 7:51:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

https://wiki.dmt-nexus.m...sical_Properties#Gramine

If you can find more to add there, please do. I would suspect it IS soluble in limonene.

Wax
#3 Posted : 7/5/2011 5:28:07 PM

LUVR

This isnt really about solubility and may be a stupid question but could you do a xtal pull on some grass then very carefully melt the spice out and re-x since the melting point of spice is much lower than gramine?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Wax
#4 Posted : 7/8/2011 11:45:28 PM

LUVR

Sol in alcohol, ether, chloroform; slightly sol in cold acetone. Practically insol in petr ether, water.
Found this through a google search
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

endlessness
#5 Posted : 7/8/2011 11:48:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah merck index, its all there in our wiki as linked above

can you explain a bit more what you mean with the melting point separation?

Carrierwave
#6 Posted : 7/8/2011 11:52:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If it's soluble in ether/alcohol/chloroform isn't that all you need to know?

A/B on the grass, after acid cooks filter it all, add in ether/alcohol/chloroform, rinse and repeat, discard the solvent and then proceed to base with gramine free solution.

jamie
#7 Posted : 7/8/2011 11:57:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

^ is it insoluble in all alcohols? ..what about 99% iso alcohol?..ethyl alcohol? If gramine is insoluble in alcohols than that would be really great and easy to deal with.
Long live the unwoke.

Carrierwave
#8 Posted : 7/8/2011 11:58:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My bad I meant to write soluble, I originally was writing 'insoluble in water' and forgot to change the insoluble part.

My original idea was to do the acid cook then filter out the gramine from the water, then I realized that was near impossible so I went to just dissolving the gramine with the alcohol and removing that from the aqueous grass mixture, much easier.

Phalaris has to be defatted anyway so whatever means you have to siphon off your xylene/naphtha/whatever you can use to siphon off the alcohol.

endlessness
#9 Posted : 7/8/2011 11:58:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Its soluble in those solvents, read again..

Its insoluble in pet ether = naphtha .. I would think simply naphtha pulls might already separate your dmt from gramine... Would be nice to test it out.

Wax
#10 Posted : 7/9/2011 12:02:23 AM

LUVR

ya didn't see that for some reason.
The melting point separation is just a crude thought I had in that you could extract the spice and gramine all together and then use a controlled heating device to melt the spice out of the gramine crystals (without actually vaporizing the spice) because the melting point of gramine is so much higher than DMT.
But like carrierwave said it seems alot easier to just add pet ether, etc.

closet-chemist1010
#11 Posted : 7/9/2011 8:33:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys, all these posts related to grass tek's are getting me excited, I might have to grow a year round patch of grass in my basement with some T5 floro's!

If gramine was soluble in naptha that would be great, Only if it is soluble with a low PH.

So my question is, can anyone confirm gramine's solubility in naptha with a PH of 3 or 4?

I might have to start some experiments with some grass Smile

endlessness
#12 Posted : 7/9/2011 8:37:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

NOT soluble in naphtha... And most def in salt form at low pH completely insoluble in naphtha

closet-chemist1010
#13 Posted : 7/9/2011 8:54:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh wow this whole thread is filled with misunderstandings lol Sad
my bad Razz

so it wont be food safe, but if doing pulls with naptha there is no longer a worry of gramine, correct?

jamie
#14 Posted : 7/9/2011 8:55:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

my thing is I dont want to use naptha unless I really have to..I stopped extracting with it along time ago and have no desire to work with it.. I would rather use food safe solvents if at all possible. I cant find much on gramine solubility though in reguards to solvents other than alcohol, naptha, tolune, xylene etc..
Long live the unwoke.

Seraph
#15 Posted : 7/9/2011 10:30:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So column chromatography is not needed and all that is needed is naphtha pulls like every other tek? If someone does this can the final product be analysed to see if there is any gramine in the final product?

Carrierwave
#16 Posted : 7/9/2011 10:41:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry my brain farted out and disregarded the fact that DMT-salts are soluble in polar solvents.

So after you freebase the DMT, add in alcohol/chloroform which the freebase gramine will dissolve into but the DMT won't. Remove the alcohol/chloroform, double check the pH of the freebase DMT solution, then produce to limonene/naphtha/whatever it. Gramine gone viola, in theory at least.

Seraph
#17 Posted : 7/9/2011 11:12:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Carrierwave wrote:
Sorry my brain farted out and disregarded the fact that DMT-salts are soluble in polar solvents.

So after you freebase the DMT, add in alcohol/chloroform which the freebase gramine will dissolve into but the DMT won't. Remove the alcohol/chloroform, double check the pH of the freebase DMT solution, then produce to limonene/naphtha/whatever it. Gramine gone viola, in theory at least.

Freebase DMT is soluble in alcohol and chloroform, you are not getting this. Here is how it works:

Freebase DMT is soluble in naphtha

Freebase Gramine is insoluble in naphtha

If you do naphtha pulls on a mixture of gramine and DMT the gramine will be left behind while the DMT will dissolve into the naphtha. You then evaporate or do freeze precipitation on the naphtha to acquire DMT that is free of gramine.