We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
electric shocks? Options

polytrip
#1 Posted : 6/30/2011 2:07:23 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Has anybody ever experienced 'electric shocks' during iboga? During my last iboga journey, this continuously happened to me, especially when i had thoughts that where somehow related to death.
It was most unpleasant, because these shocks where very intense and caused my body to make seizure-like movements or shiver heavily.

I never heard of anybody having this with iboga and i think that it wasn't ibogaine itself but some related alkaloid like ibogamine or voacangine that must have caused it.

All my previous experiences with iboga where extremely nice. But i don't want to experience this shocking ever again, so i want to find out what caused it to be able to eleminate that factor in future iboga sessions.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

ragabr
#2 Posted : 6/30/2011 2:45:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

One of my fellow iboganauts had an experience that he described as high voltage electricity running through his body for the entire peak. I will ask him to read over your experience and compare it to his own.
PK Dick is to LSD as HP Lovecraft is to Mushrooms

۩
#3 Posted : 6/30/2011 4:23:17 PM

I have learned to love, accept, and channel this neuroelectrical energy. Feels like surges of pure life force moving through my body and even into the smallest of capillaries. Happens with all the good psychedelics I've found. Reminds me of thunder, of earthquakes, of stars and galaxies colliding. I have learned a lot from whatever this is. Maybe you can too.

polytrip
#4 Posted : 6/30/2011 5:25:56 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So now i've read that people who quit SSRI's often have these same electric shock-like sensations, like their brains are being electrocuted. The intruiging thing is that that feeling is often paired with vertigo in these patients, wich is also something i was having. But i don't take SSRI's and ibogaine is being metabolised into an SSRI that's normally present within the body for a long period of time. How can the flooding of the body with an SSRI, create SSRI withdrawall effects? What compound in iboga is doing this? Could there be some compound present in iboga that acts as an noribogaine antidote, blocking it's effect?

۩
#5 Posted : 6/30/2011 5:40:56 PM

I also have to wonder what would have happened if you relaxed and thought nothing of the sensation and if this process in itself would resolve them.

polytrip
#6 Posted : 6/30/2011 6:51:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
I also have to wonder what would have happened if you relaxed and thought nothing of the sensation and if this process in itself would resolve them.

If it would have been mild shocks that would probably have worked. But it where very heavy electric shocks. They where so strong that they made my whole body tremble and blurred my vision when they happened. I have never had anything like that with either iboga or any other drug. I can see how they could be used in a therapeutic way, but it was realy a very extreme sensation. Realy a hard experience. I want to find out what caused this because i'd like to prevent it from happening again.

polytrip
#7 Posted : 6/30/2011 7:08:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I've posted about this on eboka as well, and i'm getting a clearer picture of this by the minute. Beside the fact that some other people have had a simmilar experience and that it seems to be an experience simmilar to withdrawal effects from SSRI, it also seems to be related to negative thoughts. I constantly experienced these shocks everytime i thought about death and it was realy stressfull, like i was directly confronted with death in a sudden way. For instance, when i drunk a cup of tea, i suddenly thought about drowning and 'shock' there i saw myself swimming in the middle of an endless ocean and i felt a shock as if this was realy happening. It was constantly like that: experiencing a shivering realisation paired with real physical heavy shocks.

I also have to find out what caused this, because i want to know if it was caused by a specific compound or whether it could have been my method of ingestion that was responsible.

I have posted on this site and on eboka-info about a method of taking iboga without having to vomit and without nausea. The thing is that if my method of flooding the brain with noribogaine eventually will cause these most unpleasant effects, then i should immediately report that as well. I have no reason to assume that, but as long as there is no explanation for these shocks, i feel i must take everything including this into consideration as well.

۩
#8 Posted : 6/30/2011 7:23:56 PM

During my one iboga trance I would get these neuroelectric tremors that would seemingly push me into a corner of a habit that was replaying in my mind ...

and by doing that i was able to really analyze, process, and let go certain aspects of myself. not sure why it occurs like that it just does.

DiMiTree
#9 Posted : 7/1/2011 6:10:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes you are right polytrip - as soon as i read this topic in knew that you were going through SSRI withdrawals - my gf had the same thing. It took about three weeks off the meds before the brain reset itself to basal levels. As for the terrifying visions/fear reactions, those are within yourself you can see them as terrifying or you can look at what they are and what your subconscious is trying to help you heal/get through. - i'd go with what house said.
Hope you have a speedy recovery - SSRIs are nasty drugs, symptoms of a disordered and (imo pathological) system called medical psychiatry.

polytrip
#10 Posted : 7/1/2011 9:50:12 PM
DMT-Nexus member

DiMiTree wrote:
Yes you are right polytrip - as soon as i read this topic in knew that you were going through SSRI withdrawals - my gf had the same thing. It took about three weeks off the meds before the brain reset itself to basal levels. As for the terrifying visions/fear reactions, those are within yourself you can see them as terrifying or you can look at what they are and what your subconscious is trying to help you heal/get through. - i'd go with what house said.
Hope you have a speedy recovery - SSRIs are nasty drugs, symptoms of a disordered and (imo pathological) system called medical psychiatry.

But the point is: i'm not on med's and haven't been on med's. The iboga somehow caused symptoms simmilar to SSRI withdrawal-effects. I don't have a clue to how that's possible.
Could a surge of iboga cause the body to metabolise noribogaine more quickly? could a compound in iboga rootbark block the effects of noribogaine? could a compound in iboga cause SSRI withdrawal symptoms by itself?

GratefulDad
#11 Posted : 7/3/2011 11:21:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

With full/total alkaloid profile extracts and bark in high enough doses I shake like crazy. Wouldn't say brain shocks, but I definitely get a twitch that runs up my spine here and there and my hands will tremble like mad. I have had the twitch up my spine on LSD and probably other psychedelics as well. I just got used to it and it doesn't seem to be permanent when I abstain for a longer period. I still get a shiver like that once in a great while, or even just goosebumps when talking about very significant things sometimes.

While on a flood range dose of iboga I needed help with focused tasks and things requiring steady hands and good coordination. Only during my first very strong, high dose experience was I nearly incapacitated and could not do menial things. My two other floods, I could definitely go to the bathroom by myself, or grab a drink if I needed, although I didn't want to, and it was much more difficult with the ataxia. But I did notice during both of those floods that my hands would shake a lot. I would on occasion get that vibration up my spine, but it soon turned to a pleasant overall body buzz.

I think it is probably another alkaloid in the full plant alkaloid extracts that do this. I also, from talking to various people who've tried different barks, have heard many of these physical symptoms are much higher with certain barks, while next to nil, in others. I haven't heard of these things with the pure ibogaine HCl use, either.

I am not exactly sure if I experienced the "brain-shock" but I can say I have had very significant experiences with some of the things people experience and have spoken about that sometimes worry them. I just took it as an effect of the plant alkaloids and didn't worry about it, after all, they eat it in the jungle and have pretty difficult experiences, which may sometimes be the goal when trying to "break open the head". Iboga is a very powerful medicine, mentally and physically, but I have only had rather inspiring experiences with it, and I don't think I ever once worried about dying or the dangers. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

Luckily iboga has been wonderful to me and is very useful in many aspects of my life. Plus, it's pretty easy to use sparingly once you have "broken open your head" a few times, lol! Small boosters as needed can be great reminders, and help you remember to be who you want to be!

I would maybe suggest trying a purified ibogaine HCl extract to see if this happens again. From all my reading and talking with those who have a fair bit of experience with varying barks and extracts, my vote would be on some alkaloid that varies from batch to batch of bark/extract.

Periphery
#12 Posted : 7/5/2011 4:02:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I get this when I smoke marijuana too :\ I don't know if that helps your situation at all in understanding this phenomenon or not, but I think if we are all experiencing such sensations then maybe it is a neurological reaction or something. Maybe our altered conciousness makes our neuroelectric signals more pronounced. My lumbars are twisted a bit and I find when I am on drugs, especially cannabis, I can feel the electric energy coursing around that general area. An experience I can relate the feeling to is when my foot is asleep but more concentrated to specific paths. I dont know if this is similar to you guys.

Hope you dont have too much trouble figuring out your predicament polytrip.

Regards,

Periphery
P