We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Cactus seed sowing for dummies? Options

nn-DMT
#1 Posted : 6/24/2011 2:26:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Okay so my foaf has some clones she is growing, but would like to expand her collection in a more personalized way by growing from seed. She is looking to sow about 300-400 peruvianus seeds in one big batch. She has tried several times to grow cactus from seed, but has never had a single sprout. She absolutely sucks at sowing cactus seed.

She wants to grow lots of them to maturity so that she can pick the ones with the characteristics she likes to be cloned, and give the other ones away.

She has thoroughly researched this topic and tried various tips and tricks, but still has had no success. That is why she is consulting the Nexus, the concentrated vessel of knowledge it be, and is asking for someone, anyone who is well versed in growing cacti from seeds, to post a 100% Fool Proof Trichocereus Seed Sowing Tek for dummies. My foaf would deeply appreciate such a post.
All post are made by SWIM. I am not SWIM.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

oneistheall
#2 Posted : 6/24/2011 6:11:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

seeds bought from khores kacteen gave me 80% germination, seeds from green icaro 0% (might be a bad batch and he is sending more).
dont sow your seeds, just spread them on the surface.a big tupperware with a lid with prevoiusly watered catus soil and holes in the bottom.put the lid on and leave them by a window with not too much direct sunlight, forget them for a couple of weeks, vaporize dayly and remove the lid after 3-4 weeks. it works for me.
im just a blue reindeer, dont listen to me, listen to her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ABIkH7m0s

Red Eclipse
#3 Posted : 6/24/2011 6:51:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This link may be of some help to you, nn-DMT:

http://www.sacredcactus.com/seedlings.htm

edit: upon rereading his "seedlings" sub-section of the site, I realize there is no really valuable information about seed germination, its more of an anti-KK rant.

Though, the rest of the site is filled with useful information.

heavenlypursuit
#4 Posted : 6/24/2011 8:14:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sowing cactus seeds is as easy as it comes. I just buy a bunch of those Jiffy pellets, then sprinkle some seeds onto each pellet. I then lightly cover each pellet with horticultural sand, then mist them all to keep them moist. I then put them in a seedling tray with a heating mat underneath, placed under a fluorescent light. Make sure not to let the soil dry out, or the seeds will not germinate. As the seeds germinate, I think out the weak ones from the strong ones.

This method has worked really well for me. I have a ton of Pedro's, torches, achumas and about 25 L. williamsii's.

Good luck.

nn-DMT
#5 Posted : 6/24/2011 11:49:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will try putting them in a tupperware out of direct sun

oneistheall wrote:
vaporize dayly

Are talking about misting? or vaporizing?
All post are made by SWIM. I am not SWIM.

oneistheall
#6 Posted : 6/26/2011 1:15:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sorry. I ment misting.
im just a blue reindeer, dont listen to me, listen to her:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ABIkH7m0s