We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
WARNING ~ DO NOT USE BIG GLASS JARS FOR EXTRACTIONS Options

Dreamwalker
#21 Posted : 6/18/2011 3:45:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow... That must have been a really fun mess to clean up after! I use glass jars for my extractions too but I ALWAYS make sure to keep them inside a larger pot or a sink just in case. preferably a larger pot so in case the glass breaks your extraction is still contained and not a total loss.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

crystalizer
#22 Posted : 6/18/2011 5:51:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Get some 2L bottel Borosilicate glass... SWIM used one for more than 10 extractions and is still using it Pleased They are not that expensive.... Uh by the way, expensive ones hold up to 20L Smile
Nevertheless its always a good thing to place them in an bucket.

Sorry for the mess on your rug.. that sucks...
crystalizer attached the following image(s):
105504.jpg (3kb) downloaded 278 time(s).
"It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."
-NOT Darwin

alzabo
#23 Posted : 6/18/2011 9:59:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow suks. I remember reading about someone's NaOH jar busting while they were holding it and it spilled all over their legs. They ran to the shower immediately and suffered only minor irritation.
I prefer to use sodium carbonate for my work.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

RayOfLight
#24 Posted : 6/19/2011 7:18:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the advise guys, wish I would have thought beforehand , oh well, live and learn. I Just hope people can learn from my mistake.
‎"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect." J. Krishnamurti ~ The Dissolution of the Order of the Star. 1929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjAzA753sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEU5pBxY6E

Dreamwalker
#25 Posted : 6/19/2011 7:40:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It is a very good thing you posted this unfortunate mishap of yours. You just may have prevented this from happening to someone else.
Wishing you the best of luck and safety on all your future extractions.

Rivea
#26 Posted : 6/20/2011 5:27:09 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

It seems that people have also had problems with plastic containers as well. I read a thread several months ago about someone using plastic that split open in a book shelf or cupboard and it made a hell of a mess....

I think it is best to be careful about whatever container that you are using and inspect it for visible flaws. If you see no flaws, I would still advise placing the container in another if you are not going to be attending to it all of the time. My preference is to work in or near a sink when working with caustics and solvents. In addition I also work under a good kitchen hood that ventilates outdoors.

It behooves each of us to be safe protecting our eyes and skin as well as being careful to avoid situations which will cause a fire. Basified solvents in containers with an extraction solvent are a hazard in multiple ways for sure.

Be safe my friends....
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

bindu
#27 Posted : 7/26/2011 8:32:07 AM

thank you very much for your report, will increase my security measures today
blessed be all forms of intelligence

a1pha
#28 Posted : 7/26/2011 8:49:20 AM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

Absolutely LOVE these things. They just keep going and going and.....

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

justine
#29 Posted : 7/26/2011 12:56:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've had borosilicated erlenmeyer flasks filled with NaOH-saturated water sit for months without issue, maybe only standard glass is dangerous to use with lye ?
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

endlessness
#30 Posted : 7/26/2011 1:35:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think a lot of the issues with lye and glass might be related to temperature changes, instead of only about lye etching glass. If you dont add lye slowly and/or keep stirring very well as you add lye, the temperature change will be concentrated in one spot of the glass where lye sits undissolved, and this can cause glasses to crack. Maybe this also in general would make glass less resistant to the etching, as well as to bumps and movements.

So yeah, use borosilicate or general good quality thick glass, mix well/add slowly, work in a safe place (bathtub, sink, with container inside a bucket, etc), avoid bumping, and if it isnt for sure quality glass, dont leave lye for too long.

For those using hdpe or other good plastic, I anyways would recommend salting your solvent, evaporating to have the salt, wash with dry acetone or similar and then freebase if wanted, to remove possible plasticizer/plastic traces

a1pha
#31 Posted : 7/26/2011 4:36:34 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

endlessness wrote:
For those using hdpe or other good plastic, I anyways would recommend salting your solvent, evaporating to have the salt, wash with dry acetone or similar and then freebase if wanted, to remove possible plasticizer/plastic traces

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

SnozzleBerry
#32 Posted : 7/26/2011 5:56:31 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

DeMenTed wrote:
I dont understand why anyone would use big glass containers when hdpe2 jugs are readily available 'sigh'

Maybe people don't want plastic in their product?

Quote:
In addition to many individual chemicals (mentioned below), Phillips lists two major classes of chemicals that are not compatible with HDPE: aromatic hydrocarbons, and halogenated hydrocarbons. The basic aromatic hydrocarbon is benzene (a major component of gasoline); others are toluene (also called methylbenzene), and the three xylenes (o-, m-and p-xylene). Others include naphthalene (moth balls), and pdichlorobenzene (also moth balls). These aromatic hydrocarbons "permeate excessively and cause package deformation," says Phillips.

Full link
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Ice House
#33 Posted : 7/27/2011 3:52:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

DeMenTed wrote:
I dont understand why anyone would use big glass containers when hdpe2 jugs are readily available 'sigh'

I dont want plastics in my stew, but most importantly...

My Old Granny has been using 1\2 gallon and Mason jars for many years. They work great for everything. They get boiled and pressure cooked they get basified and acidified and heated and pressurized. They work without failure. I just chance the lids each extraction.

These jars work without failure IME.

Fuck Plastic

I dont care if it is hdpe2 or HDTV2

Lab glass or canning jars. Canning jars like Grandma used were made to withstand the riggors of extractions.

I'm very sorry you had to go through that.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

PREV12