We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
WARNING ~ DO NOT USE BIG GLASS JARS FOR EXTRACTIONS Options

RayOfLight
#1 Posted : 6/17/2011 6:51:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was haveing a lovely evening. I had some nice rue boiling away on the stove, two dmt extractions going in the living room. One blab and one normal A/B with naptha that was in a large glass jar on my living room floor, it contained 7 liters of basified bark . I thought nothing of it , 'as long as I'm carful and dont hit the jar with anything whats the problem?' I'm happily stirring my rue stew in the kitchen when I hear my girlfriend scream from the living room. I run to investigate.....

this jar decided out of the blue to self destruct. don't let this happen to you.
RayOfLight attached the following image(s):
062.JPG (5,155kb) downloaded 653 time(s).
‎"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect." J. Krishnamurti ~ The Dissolution of the Order of the Star. 1929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjAzA753sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEU5pBxY6E

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

ouro
#2 Posted : 6/17/2011 7:18:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ekstasis
#3 Posted : 6/17/2011 7:34:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Were the jars dissolved through, like in the vid ouro posted, or was it a build up of a pressure that popped them? I've left basified solutions sitting around for weeks at a time and never had this happen.
My mind craves nectar day and night.
Like a blue lotus floating on the sea of love.
Lingering in ashantic realms
Lingering in the akashic realms
Lingering in, lingering in the realms.
Blue lotus floats, floating, floating..
Some laugh, some weep, some dance for joy.

RayOfLight
#4 Posted : 6/17/2011 7:52:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

the jar had no lid so there was no pressure. I did however mix the lye and water together in this jar, that probably degraded it.
‎"I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect." J. Krishnamurti ~ The Dissolution of the Order of the Star. 1929

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjAzA753sg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AEU5pBxY6E

Ekstasis
#5 Posted : 6/17/2011 8:01:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ah, that might do it. The reaction itself is the most volatile. Good thing to know.
Like a blue lotus floating on the sea of love.
Lingering in ashantic realms
Lingering in the akashic realms
Lingering in, lingering in the realms.
Blue lotus floats, floating, floating..
Some laugh, some weep, some dance for joy.

Apoc
#6 Posted : 6/17/2011 8:17:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dang man, sorry about your carpet. You have to use caution with glass jars, whether you're doing an extraction, or using them for food. If you have a giant glass jar of liquid, you're probably not going to want it out in the open, in case it breaks. This problem could have been avoided if you just put the jar in a bucket. Then, at least if it broke, it wouldn't have destroyed anything, and you still would have been able to use the remains.

Phantastica
#7 Posted : 6/17/2011 9:17:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

i see a toblerone!!
yummVery happy
<3

Pharmer
#8 Posted : 6/17/2011 2:09:23 PM

ღஐ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~ஐღ

What a mess, so sorry to hear this happened to you! Big, black, smelly mess of sludge on your rug-no fun!!

What type of glass jug were you using? I see two big plastic jugs and two small glass mason ones(one is open on your coffee table-:shockSmile

I have heard of plastic jugs leaking and cheap reused glass pickle jugs (and other reused food containers) popping cracks from pressure but quality glass will last a life time if taken care of. I have one $8 glass jug that has been around for over a year now.

Maybe the lesson should be- Don't do extractions in your living room with all your cool stuff. Or Recycling glass jugs is not for exaction in your living room. Razz
Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions but it doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

Shaolin
#9 Posted : 6/17/2011 2:33:00 PM

Stiletto Stoner

RayOfLight wrote:
I was haveing a lovely evening. I had some nice rue boiling away on the stove, two dmt extractions going in the living room

Can't let this one slide.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

d*l*b
#10 Posted : 6/17/2011 2:48:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:
RayOfLight wrote:
I was haveing a lovely evening. I had some nice rue boiling away on the stove, two dmt extractions going in the living room

Can't let this one slide.

Yup, this was my first thought when I saw the photo too. Extractions using caustic and flammable substances are not things to be done in living rooms or bedrooms. Keep to the kitchen or bathroom and make sure your work area is totally clear of obstacles.
D × V × F > R

SHroomtroll
#11 Posted : 6/17/2011 3:01:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I cracked a gallon jar myself a few weeks ago by putting it in hot water, no harm though since i was able to pour it into a bowl before it started leaking.

gibran2
#12 Posted : 6/17/2011 3:09:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Always, always, always, keep extraction jars in a larger leakproof container. That way, if the jar breaks, not only do you prevent dangerous caustic liquid from spilling all over the place, but you will probably be able to recover most of the liquid too.

Live and learn.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Madcap
#13 Posted : 6/17/2011 9:24:24 PM

illudium Q-36

I will join in the conflagration. Be more careful. No lid. Heavy base. Living room... Carpet. You begged the galaxy for punishment and got away with a slap onthe wrist. Many living rooms are the first room of the house. Not the place to have what looks like a meth lab.

I have a tip for you. Big hdpe bins. Makes a great little work area. And if stuff splashes or spills or self destructs.... You take it out back and rinse it out.

Big white plastic paint buckets work almost as well. Less than five bucks..... Way less. You can just set your hdpe jugs in that ( we are using hdpe jugs now right )

Sorry for the harshness, thanks for sharing your mistake.

Does everyone see why the layman (big stainless steel bowl) tek enrages me so?

Love you ray, but be careful.
All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

dreamer042
#14 Posted : 6/17/2011 9:35:30 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

This is just one moar reason I quit using lye.

Lime doesn't shatter glass jars and using a drytek doesn't even require having having to deal with large amounts of extremely basic caustic soup.

but hey, if people wish to continue using outdated and inherently dangerous methods, that's their call. Less people buying up all my pickling lime Cool
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

benzyme
#15 Posted : 6/17/2011 10:41:45 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

ouro wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmktRTHL1NA&playnext=1&list=PLB0629700AA669AFE

'nuff said.

notice how hot the NaOH solution is.
one should never have to heat basified liquid to do an extraction.
a dirty cat always uses amber glass jugs with NaOH solution, leaves them for days, no breakage.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Xt
#16 Posted : 6/18/2011 5:27:23 AM

Beware the purple caustic nightmare.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

Rivea
#17 Posted : 6/18/2011 7:07:37 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

Doing extractions near or in a sink is the way I prefer to go. I've had basified solutions sit around a long time at pH 12 or 13 in glass jars and I have had no problem with glass jars.

I like the little demo of melting NaOH in a steel container and then etching holes in glass vial with the pure molten NaOH... that is a lot more extreme than hopefully anything that anyone would try here in an extraction.
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

smokerx
#18 Posted : 6/18/2011 10:06:34 AM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

I am sorry for that man. Its a big loss but it is good that nothing bad happened to you or anyone else. Next time use plastic bottles. I always use the ones from milk and never had any problem with it.

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

DeMenTed
#19 Posted : 6/18/2011 12:46:30 PM

Barry

I dont understand why anyone would use big glass containers when hdpe2 jugs are readily available 'sigh'

CosmicLion
#20 Posted : 6/18/2011 2:47:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Much love dude... I feel ya...

And what a great idea to use those large HDPE tubs!

I have to say though, what a slick style you have goin on! I like the plant + couch + foldable room separator. New carpets are easy to find, glad to hear no one was burned...
-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-

12NEXT