We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
SWIMs crystals keep melting after freeze separation Options

Sojourner
#1 Posted : 6/17/2011 5:03:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

First of all, please don't give SWIM a hard time and tell Him to utfse. Because He has. SWIM has read the faq and has tried everything and He is brand new to all of this.

Anyhow, here it goes. SWIM did an extraction using q21q21 vinegar/Lime A/B with Naphtha as the solvent. He used 1ml of solvent per gram of bark powder. He got a lot of crystals in the pan. No matter what SWIM does they melt and SWIM is losing a lot.

Here is what he's tried. He's tried pouring off the solvent quickly and setting out the pan to dry, failed=melted.

SWIM tried scraping the crystals while in the cold solvent and filtering through coffee filter, set out to dry, failed.

SWIM did the same thing again, but this time put the coffee filter, back into the freezer for a few hours then took it out to dry, failed.

so SWIM figures, its the solvent getting warmed up and redissolving the crystals. what he does now is scrape the pan pour through a filter and THEN he pours cold water over the crystals (cause dmt isnt suppose to dissolve in water) to wash away solvent that could melt the crystals. set out to dry over a fan. failed. so SWIM repeated this step but this time put it in the freezer for a few hours, removed it, the coffee filter is now frozen and when he left it out to dry it melted.

Swim is visibly upset at this point, but hasnt given up. He now tries pouring off the solvent resealing the container and placing it back in the freezer upside down for 3 hrs. removes the lid and sets the pan out to dry, failed=melted.

Since this method is in the faq of the site and it must work, SWIM guesses he's not doing it right. After pouring off the solvent and placing the container in the freezer upside down, after taking it out swim suspects that when he removes the lid, condensation builds up on the crystals and melts them.Confused Should swim wait till the container gets to room temp. before removing the lid? if not what should he do?

ty peace

DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised.The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events or persons are purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarites or any other parallels that are imagined or drawn by the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

smc123
#2 Posted : 6/17/2011 5:14:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Try this: Put all the oil in a dish and dissolve as mush as possible in warm naphtha. After it looks like everything is dissovled, let it set out and let anything in the solution not dissolved settle to the bottom.

Decant the solvent into a jar, freeze precipitate for ~8 hours, filter, and let dry.

Hope it helps.

HermeticShaman
#3 Posted : 6/17/2011 5:21:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use the same tek. I let the thing freeze most of the time 8-12 hours first. Between pulling it out of the freezer and running off the solvent carefully and thoroughly, there is never enough time for the solvent to redissolve the crystals. How long are you waiting before running off the solvent? The only problem I run into is floaters. Sometimes, letting it freeze longer will deal with some of the floaters, sometimes it doesn't help at all, but I can usually salvage almost all of the product (not to mention, I run the solvent back into MHRB mush when I do this, so I'll be getting it all out anyway).

I'm really curious about the entire process you go through as I have never run into this issue a single time.
"'Tis true, without falsehood, certain and most true.
That which is below is as that which is above, and that which is above is as that which is below, to accomplish the miracle of the One thing.
And as all things have arisen from one by the meditation of one: so all things have their birth from this one thing by adaptation.
The Sun is its father, the Moon its mother,
the wind hath carried it in its belly, the earth its nurse."

-Hermes Mercurius Trismegistus

All posts by the above author, HermeticShaman are fictional segments of a fictional fantasy book about fictional psychedelic journeys and travels to fantasy lands of wonder and imagination. Any resemblance to real events, intentions, conspiracy to commit illegal activities, or confessions of illegal activity are merely a convincing way to build up an epic plot line, and in no way represent the lifestyle or actions of the man behind the name.

smc123
#4 Posted : 6/17/2011 5:44:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm honestly not familiar with the stb teks, nor am I familiar with the oily residues, but what I understand is that it typically doesn't dissolve well in the naphtha.

I was able to observe 5g of oil dissolved as much as possible into 400mL of warm naphtha.

The solvent was left in front of a fan till half the original volume was present. Then the solvent was decanted into a small jar, freeze precipitated and yielded ~2.5g of white crystals that appeared to dry perfectly.

I was also able to observe that a good portion of the oil never dissolved and settled to the bottom of the evaporation dish, and the naphtha turned really cloudy (which is good to observe when evaporating).

This was my first observation with oil and what its use became.

Global
#5 Posted : 6/17/2011 6:42:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

I've been in your position before. Quickly pour off the naptha, and put the container that has all of the crystals in it back in the freezer, upside down. Leave it there for like 15 min and then move it to the fridge (still upside-down) and spill off as much naptha as you can. After leaving it in the fridge for like 15 min, you can take it out to air dry, and they shouldn't melt.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

muad dib
#6 Posted : 6/17/2011 5:56:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Global's tip has been very helpful, as I was having a similar problem with melting / condensation. Thanks!

Muad'dib

bongz
#7 Posted : 6/17/2011 7:06:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Could it be that there is some kind of oxide(or some factor) present and outside of the solution the crystals just wont remain solid and take on more of an oil form? SWIM has achieved these results with impatient procedure.

Sojourner
#8 Posted : 6/19/2011 3:09:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply's everyone. SWIM finally got it to dry out, got about 4.5 grams out of 230g, but lost a lot. Next time SWIM will try a freeze precip using the cfc method https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&m=5949 (foxwalk's reply) and dry it out using Global's tip. SWIM thinks as bongz suggested some oxides present or something, that the cfc method is supposed to cure.

peaceVery happy
DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised.The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events or persons are purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarites or any other parallels that are imagined or drawn by the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.