We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Caffeine Can Cause Hallucinations Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 6/7/2011 7:59:51 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

http://www.livescience.c...eine-hallucinations.html

LiveScience wrote:
People who take in the caffeine equivalent of three cups of brewed coffee (or seven cups of instant) are more likely to hallucinate, a new study suggests.

The researchers found that people with a caffeine intake that high, whether it came from coffee, tea, chocolate or caffeinated energy drinks or pills, had a three-times-higher tendency to hear voices and see things that were not there than those who consumed the equivalent of a half-cup of brewed coffee (or one cup of instant coffee).

So it wasn't the LSD that made me hallucinate at work! Laughing

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Periphery
#2 Posted : 6/7/2011 8:08:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That would explain alot!
P

SWIMfriend
#3 Posted : 6/7/2011 8:31:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

All joking aside, caffeine is actually a powerful drug that exerts a life-changing influence on our mental states. The life you lead, and the paths your life takes, will be VERY DIFFERENT depending on whether you use lots of caffeine or don't, IMO.

I for one have trouble accessing truly deep levels of thought and analysis (and I would imagine feeling) while on caffeine.

Tsehakla
#4 Posted : 6/7/2011 8:41:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend: You build up a tolerance to it's effects. Once one gets up to 4-8 cups of brewed (real coffee, not that latte junk) you don't even notice it... except for the headache if you miss a day. Very happy
Two things to keep in mind:
1) It is all lies.
2) There is no privacy on the Internet.

BananaForeskin
#5 Posted : 6/7/2011 9:01:29 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

Not that latte junk? You mean espresso ain't real enough for you? Razz

I have a friend who drinks a shit-ton of coffee (which he combines ruthlessly with excedrin and beer), but won't touch other drugs 'cuz they mess with your mind. Going to send him a link!
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

christian
#6 Posted : 6/7/2011 9:07:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Coffee is more likely to cause possible lack of sleep psychosis by it's sleep cancelling properties, which mean more coffee the next day = even less sleep, and so on. Add to that extra stress in the working live+ the adrenal stress caused by the caffeine intake, and it wouldn't surprise me.
-It's also been said that coffee helps cause hostility at work also...
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

MySmelf
#7 Posted : 6/7/2011 11:23:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What? No way!

I've never hallucinated because of a few cups of coffee or even 10, or even popping caffeine pills and I have had a history of hearing voices and hallucinations before I ever did any "drugs". If anything caffeine has had the opposite effect on me, unless I've stayed up all night, tired and sleep deprived.

Maybe its a devious ploy to get kids interested in consuming more caffeinated drinks! Twisted Evil
Its the MeICNU

I am only someone's imaginary Smelf posting from hyperspace.

SWIMfriend
#8 Posted : 6/7/2011 11:25:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tsehakla wrote:
SWIMfriend: You build up a tolerance to it's effects. Once one gets up to 4-8 cups of brewed (real coffee, not that latte junk) you don't even notice it... except for the headache if you miss a day. Very happy

You build up "some" tolerance.

In my case, when I cut caffeine, after 2-3 days I CLEARLY notice an enhanced ability for deep/creative thought. It's VERY apparent for me. When I REALLY have to get down and come up with a solution to a difficult challenge, I find that giving up caffeine for a few days can make it happen.

This is in contrast to Paul Erdos, who once said that "Mathematicians are machines for turning coffee into theorems."

The Traveler
#9 Posted : 6/7/2011 11:28:14 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

SWIMfriend wrote:
Tsehakla wrote:

You build up "some" tolerance.

In my case, when I cut caffeine, after 2-3 days I CLEARLY notice an enhanced ability for deep/creative thought. It's VERY apparent for me. When I REALLY have to get down and come up with a solution to a difficult challenge, I find that giving up caffeine for a few days can make it happen.

Maybe this has to do with a better sleeping pattern if you take no caffeine? I notice that I have a sharp drop in cognitive ability when I have a shortage of sleep during several days.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Mindlusion
#10 Posted : 6/8/2011 12:18:05 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

coffee causes tricks hehehehe

drink up
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Tsehakla
#11 Posted : 6/8/2011 12:25:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

BananaForeskin wrote:
Not that latte junk? You mean espresso ain't real enough for you? Razz

Espresso tastes great--not enough caffeine in it for a die-hard addict like myself--but putting all that milk in it sucks.
Two things to keep in mind:
1) It is all lies.
2) There is no privacy on the Internet.

tigerstrike92
#12 Posted : 6/8/2011 12:37:24 AM

Homo-divinorum

Caffeine has been my everyday drug of choice for quite some time now. But I have notice two things

My tolerance for synthetic caffeine (pop/energy drinks) is quite high. I can drink a few energy drinks and go to sleep ten minutes later.

My tolerance for natural caffeine (organic coffee/tea) is medium to low. I don't notice to much from tea, but from my organic coffee I get a good 3 hour buzz going.
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

entheogenadvocate
#13 Posted : 6/8/2011 12:42:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I absolutely love coffee, any kind, as long as it's good. I average approximately 40 oz of brewed coffee a day (5 cups). I'm sure I have a tolerance, but it gets me jacked every time!

Despite being an avid coffee drinker for the past 9 years of my life, I have never experienced hallucinations. At least now I know that if I start hallucinating at work, its the coffee, not flashbacks Smile

peace and happy journeys
All posts are completely fictional and for educational purposes only

jamie
#14 Posted : 6/8/2011 1:06:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I never had hallucinations, but coffee gave me chronic anxiety. I used to drink it every single day for a few years and I noticed that it would speed me up alot and make me jittery, and being in that state all the time would make me anxious. Now I dont drink coffee at all. I havent drank even a cup in about 9 months, though I drink yerba mate and green tea occasionally. I cant even drink more than 1 cup of tea or I feel anxious and speedy. I like cacao the most though, it speeds me up also but in a different way and gives me a phenethylamine buzz similar to MDMA or light doses of mescaline.
Long live the unwoke.

SWIMfriend
#15 Posted : 6/8/2011 1:37:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
[quote=SWIMfriend]Maybe this has to do with a better sleeping pattern if you take no caffeine? I notice that I have a sharp drop in cognitive ability when I have a shortage of sleep during several days.

I think that's a possibility. Certainly, there's no question that ANY kind of sleep deficit (including shortening of particular phases of sleep) can have cognitive effects.

Still, for me, it's a matter of "quietness of mind." I'm not talking about "work" in general. I'm talking specifically about the times when you really want to think DEEPLY about something, really burrow down into it. I simply CANNOT do that even after drinking caffeine (ESPECIALLY after drinking caffeine). But then again, I don't know that lots of people often ACCESS those deep down concentration/attentive states--so they don't necessarily notice it...

Caffeine "pushes." Sometimes you have to reflect on ideas when there's no pushing going on.

۩
#16 Posted : 6/8/2011 1:47:42 AM

Don't know about ya'll, but I'm proud to be a bean tweaker.

cave paintings
#17 Posted : 6/8/2011 5:40:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIMfriend wrote:
The Traveler wrote:
[quote=SWIMfriend]Maybe this has to do with a better sleeping pattern if you take no caffeine? I notice that I have a sharp drop in cognitive ability when I have a shortage of sleep during several days.

I think that's a possibility. Certainly, there's no question that ANY kind of sleep deficit (including shortening of particular phases of sleep) can have cognitive effects.

Still, for me, it's a matter of "quietness of mind." I'm not talking about "work" in general. I'm talking specifically about the times when you really want to think DEEPLY about something, really burrow down into it. I simply CANNOT do that even after drinking caffeine (ESPECIALLY after drinking caffeine). But then again, I don't know that lots of people often ACCESS those deep down concentration/attentive states--so they don't necessarily notice it...

Caffeine "pushes." Sometimes you have to reflect on ideas when there's no pushing going on.

Definitely empathize with you there a bit in the sense that I believe coffee does promote a certain state of mind that is not necessarily conducive to deep reflection. It is a stimulant after all. I'd rather have coffee in me for typing up a report in the morning than I would for contemplating existential possibilities. Still, I have been drinking coffee everyday for about a year now, which says little contrasted against bean tweakers. Still I don't find myself dependent on it as of yet for waking up, or performing certain tasks more efficiently so I'm gonna probably keep drinking it unless I find myself dependent on it for waking up or I start hallucinating..
Living to Give

Ginkgo
#18 Posted : 6/8/2011 12:47:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

400+ mg of caffeine in one dose? Shocked That would cause trembling and other very negative bodily symptoms for me, a daily tea drinker and an occasional coffee drinker. Anything more than ~200 mg is, to me, not worth taking because of the symptoms associated with high doses.

A normal++ dose (75-150 mg) without caffeine tolerance even gives me slight to medium euphoria. It is indeed a potent substance, not at all nice with an overdose. Obviously we are different, but I would recommend anyone reading this to be careful when experimenting with caffeine.

rOm
#19 Posted : 6/8/2011 12:47:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

caffeine...
Do you thinck that what we like tastewise could be linked subconsciously to what we seek for brainchemistrywise ?
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

biopsylo
#20 Posted : 6/8/2011 10:59:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://derekgittler.com/...e/the_story_of_the_beans

deans' beans : Ahab's revenge--may cause mild hallucinations

i always preferred their birdwatcher's blendSmile