We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT»
Art Bin Options

Guyomech
#101 Posted : 5/5/2012 7:03:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Yeah, thanks to Spire Catalyst for starting this!

Archaic: contrary to popular belief, art is NOT a perishable skill. You just have to do it. The rust falls away pretty quickly, and you'll find that all the growth you've experienced in the meantime is a way bigger factor than any lack of practice. With the right mindset you can progress very quickly. Example: look at Daedaloops... Check out the two Daeda images posted earlier in this thread, then look at the Daeda Nexus banner, then at the recent oil painting. That all happened pretty quickly.

Jamie: love the vibe, can't wait to see the table!

Pup: velvety, gorgeous.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Wax
#102 Posted : 5/6/2012 1:26:39 AM

LUVR

Ya I think you are correct on that one Guyomech, I decided to do a self portrait the other night after posting and so far it is amazingly better than any realistic portrait I have ever done! Thats not to say it is amazing in itself, just amazingly better than any previous attempt Smile

I'm going to be adding more to it slowly and chipping away at that rust. Needless to say I won't be posting it here though.

I feel the biggest blockage for me is not being able to decide what to draw and then ending up doodling little nothings all over the paper. I think I need to take a few more trips to hyperspace to get some inspiration Pleased
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Guyomech
#103 Posted : 5/6/2012 4:19:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

A big block that a lot of artists let get in their way is letting things matter too much. It's fine to have a sketchbook filled mostly with scribbles, as long as you discover something in the process... Forcing yourself to "make every page count" is a surefire way to keep yourself from drawing. In addition, drawing that hyperspace stuff is hard- trust me, it's a subject that's gotten a lot of my attention for many years, and I still haven't come close. So you have to not let that stop you either.

Start small; try taking on projects that you can finish in a single session (another common artist block: starting out too ambitious and then losing steam). Drawings of people on the bus or of interesting found objects will help you develop a vocabulary that makes it easier to draw imaginary things.

Dont be shy about posting that portrait! Technical polish is not a requirement in this thread.

Wax
#104 Posted : 5/6/2012 4:36:44 AM

LUVR

Very sound advice. I dunno you've come close enough to portraying hyperspace my friend!
Also the only reason I won't post this one is because it is a self portrait Pleased
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Guyomech
#105 Posted : 5/6/2012 6:47:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah yes- fair enough.

Dante
#106 Posted : 5/7/2012 11:35:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some of my life drawings Smile

Edit: Sorry for the messed sizes.
Dante attached the following image(s):
Untitled 01.jpg (493kb) downloaded 798 time(s).
Untitled 02.jpg (517kb) downloaded 795 time(s).
Untitled 04.jpg (341kb) downloaded 797 time(s).
Untitled 06.jpg (343kb) downloaded 793 time(s).
Untitled 07.jpg (254kb) downloaded 792 time(s).
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

daedaloops
#107 Posted : 5/7/2012 11:58:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice! You have a very cool style of drawing.. Have you ever done anything surreal/abstract? I'd really love to see more Smile

ChaoticMethod
#108 Posted : 5/8/2012 4:17:28 AM

Eye of the Beholder

Just sharing the last drawing I did. This was actually drawn as a gift for my girlfriend's birthday. Definitely inspired by psychedelics.

"If you have any answers, We will be glad to provide full and detailed questions."

[url=http://shimeon.tumblr.com//url]

SpireCatalyst
#109 Posted : 5/8/2012 5:25:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome drawing chaotic method, reminds me of a praying(preying?) mantis. Good job, keep em coming!
"..I find myself stirred awake by the ambient noises of the world outside and a realization that my train of thought may not be running on time…but I've nowhere to be...except here."

Dante
#110 Posted : 5/8/2012 12:54:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

daedaloops wrote:
Nice! You have a very cool style of drawing.. Have you ever done anything surreal/abstract? I'd really love to see more Smile

Cheers! Im planning to make my first "psychedelic" painting, Ill post it as soon as it's finished Smile
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

Bill Cipher
#111 Posted : 5/8/2012 5:13:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So many talented characters around here.

Creativity abounds!

Guyomech
#112 Posted : 5/8/2012 5:29:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dante- beautiful, I love how expressive they are. I've done a lot of figure drawing and although they are clean and technical and proportional (think Philip Pearlstein) I always envy artists who can describe the energy of the figure so well without resorting to a diagrammatic approach. Definitely a gift. I also really like how you capture the room and furniture so economically. Very much looking forward to seeing your first excursions into visionary art. You have a great foundation to build upon.

Chaotic: love it... Reminds me of Bosch at his most hallucinatory. To me, this looks like what you get on 3-4 grams of shrooms while outdoors at night with a really rich field of bug noises going on...

Pup Tentacle
#113 Posted : 5/8/2012 6:09:25 PM

lettuce

Chaotic..... sweeeeeet!

I agree with Guyo... very nature-shroomy vibe!
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Dante
#114 Posted : 5/8/2012 11:58:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Guyomech for the kind words, they are well needed at this point of my production. Switching from representing the material world to the world of spirits and ideas it's not an easy thing to do.

Guyomech
#115 Posted : 5/9/2012 3:24:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Have you read The Mission Of Art by Alex Grey? Very inspirational... Sometimes you need to take a plunge into the void to discover where you're naturally headed.

Your technique has a great expressive quality to it- curious to see how that translates...

Dante
#116 Posted : 5/10/2012 1:08:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

No, but Ill read it for sure! Cheers!

Ill keep you posted Thumbs up

Pup Tentacle
#117 Posted : 5/11/2012 5:32:29 PM

lettuce

I'm working on a handbill for a regional band's fall music fest and was really please with the way this came out... they asked for a clockwork type theme... so I pulled out the DMT clock ... Razz

Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

SoulCrushingBass
#118 Posted : 5/11/2012 6:29:20 PM

Keeper of the spice

Pup tentacle, that is nice. I think I might have to print that and frame it, that's one I need in the mancave for sure.
Well, y'know, it's like this experience that I had was like, y'know, erm, it was kind of the most profound experience I've had in me life, like

Guyomech
#119 Posted : 5/13/2012 7:16:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pup- fantastic, very hyperspatial. And original too. The diagrammatic elements really help it feel like its pointing at something deeper and more complex...

blue lunar night
#120 Posted : 6/9/2012 5:21:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is such a juicy thread, i love it Thumbs up

diggin' your style, Chaotic Method!

Here are my 2 most recent pieces: Green Tara and Forest Kalika.

These are large image files; I'll replace them with smaller files soon to cut loading times for people with slower connections Smile

You can get a closer look at my deviantart page: Green Tara and Forest Kalika
blue lunar night attached the following image(s):
Greg's Drawings2 002.JPG (4,850kb) downloaded 977 time(s).
Gregs Drawings 004.JPG (4,166kb) downloaded 966 time(s).

«PREV45678NEXT»