We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Teaching an old Trich new pups Options

Once
#1 Posted : 5/26/2011 4:24:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys,

I have been exploring the joys of Mescaline and San Pedro cultivation for the last few years. This spring I harvested three cuttings from my garden. Two of the stumps have produced pups, the third cactus however, has shown no signs of growth. I am hoping the some of you guys may have some advice on encouraging my San Pedro to continue growth or push out some pups. Would making a new fresh cut help? or do I just need some patience? The cuts were made about 8 weeks ago. I hope that this cactus is still viable, I got him a few years back, he is my first Trich!

Thanks,
Once
All statements made by Once have no basis in reality, if reality even exists.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Once
#2 Posted : 5/26/2011 9:44:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fair enough. If growing cactus can teach us anything, it's patience.

Madcap
#3 Posted : 5/27/2011 12:38:46 AM

illudium Q-36

I'm very well read, but fairly new to gardening cacti. With that said, i will share a recent occurrence.

We cut 2 similar cactus down to a 8 inch or so well rooted stumps. The pots were both taken indoors to heal for about a month+.

Once back outside, 1 was buried over loosely. The second was left to stand at the same depth as it had been pre-cut.

The one we buried had 3 new tips starting after a couple weeks. The other had none after 3.... so we buried (loosely) it as well. A week later, it has 1 new tip starting.

Buried loosely= brought soil mix level up to cover all but the top 1/2 inch and then tossed a couple handfuls over the top of the stump. It was covered but by the time I noticed new tips, about 30% was uncovered.

I'm not sure, but my guess is that IF covering did anything, it forced the cactus to grow a new tip for need of sunlight.

It may have just been time. . . . I have read that you should leave a foot above ground to give the cactus enough sun power to grow the new tips vigorously.

I'm just learning too, thought I'd share.

All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

Once
#4 Posted : 5/27/2011 12:59:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

madcap, thanks. That is really interesting. I would have to get quite a deep pot to bury the rest of this sucker, but perhaps it is worth a shot if I don't see any growth in the next month or two. Aso, three pups! Congratulations, I am only getting one pup on each of my cuttings (except for the one showing no sign of growth), I was hoping for a bit more, maybe next time.

happy gardening!
Once