We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Equipment that makes your life easier Options

kemist
#21 Posted : 10/11/2008 10:27:04 AM

John

69ron wrote:
Another item which is REALLY COOL is the pH Turtle. Here's a pick:

It cost about $100 bucks and is one of the best pH meters you can buy for the money. It plugs into a PC and it can graph pH changes, keep logs and notes for you, it auto-calibrates really easily, allows you to set min and max alarms (a really cool feature).

I own this. I got it a few days ago and it’s the best pH meter I’ve ever used that doesn’t cost a fortune. The alarm feature is really handy. You can setup some acid to drip into a beaker of liquid while you go off to watch TV, and once the pH goes down to say 2.5 then an alarm will sound on your PC. It’s REALLY COOL.

It cost only 50 quid and UK suppliers have itSurprised . Cheers for usefull info mate
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

eindreizig
#22 Posted : 10/12/2008 10:35:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
Only some have a shut-off valve, not all of them.

Here's a heaver than water model without the valve:

Here's a heaver than water model with the valve:

Here's a lighter than water model without the valve:

Here's a lighter than water model with the valve:

The heavier than water models work with solvents like DCM that are heavier than water, the others work with solvents like heptane which are lighter than water.

You see where the valves are? When opened, they work as liquid/liquid extractors, when closed they work as distilling apparatus.

Which kind do you have?

I have the heavier than water model. The valve seems like a great idea and I wish I'd known about it before.

69ron
#23 Posted : 10/13/2008 5:29:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tell me about it!

I wish SWIM had known he could use a liquid liquid extractor with a shutoff valve as a still before he bought his whole distillation setup! Instead of all that expensive distillation apparatus he bought, he could have bought 1 liquid liquid extractor with a shutoff valve, the condenser for it, and a boiling flask, and he’d have a system with many possibilities at a fraction of the cost of all the lab glass he now owns.

Did you know you can also use a heaver than water liquid liquid extractor as a type of Soxhlet! Damn! Another peace of lab glass SWIM has that he could have saved money on by just buying a liquid liquid extractor setup!

To use it as a Soxhlet type system, all you do is put the herbs in a sock or similar long cloth bag, put it in the liquid liquid extractor body, and run the system with a single solvent! It works JUST AS GOOD AS A SOXHLET, and if you have the liquid liquid extractor with the shutoff valve you can also concentrate your extraction all in one system!

Man! I wish I’d know that sooner. SWIM now owns 3 condensers, 1 for his original distillation setup, 1 for his Soxhlet, and one for his liquid liquid extractor! Of course they are all different sizes and incompatible with each other! SWIM could have just got the liquid liquid extractor setup with a condenser and boiling flask and saved hundreds of dollars on the rest of the lab glass he bought for his Soxhlet and still! Not to mention all the space he’d have saved in his lab too!

Before anyone goes out and buys a distillation setup or a Soxhlet, I advise looking at a heaver than water liquid liquid extractor with a shutoff valve. It functions like a Soxhlet, like a still, and a liquid liquid extractor, all in one piece of equipment!
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

burnt
#24 Posted : 10/13/2008 11:54:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

roto vap is key

eindreizig
#25 Posted : 10/14/2008 6:08:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
Tell me about it!

I wish SWIM had known he could use a liquid liquid extractor with a shutoff valve as a still before he bought his whole distillation setup! Instead of all that expensive distillation apparatus he bought, he could have bought 1 liquid liquid extractor with a shutoff valve, the condenser for it, and a boiling flask, and he’d have a system with many possibilities at a fraction of the cost of all the lab glass he now owns.

Did you know you can also use a heaver than water liquid liquid extractor as a type of Soxhlet! Damn! Another peace of lab glass SWIM has that he could have saved money on by just buying a liquid liquid extractor setup!

To use it as a Soxhlet type system, all you do is put the herbs in a sock or similar long cloth bag, put it in the liquid liquid extractor body, and run the system with a single solvent! It works JUST AS GOOD AS A SOXHLET, and if you have the liquid liquid extractor with the shutoff valve you can also concentrate your extraction all in one system!

Man! I wish I’d know that sooner. SWIM now owns 3 condensers, 1 for his original distillation setup, 1 for his Soxhlet, and one for his liquid liquid extractor! Of course they are all different sizes and incompatible with each other! SWIM could have just got the liquid liquid extractor setup with a condenser and boiling flask and saved hundreds of dollars on the rest of the lab glass he bought for his Soxhlet and still! Not to mention all the space he’d have saved in his lab too!

Before anyone goes out and buys a distillation setup or a Soxhlet, I advise looking at a heaver than water liquid liquid extractor with a shutoff valve. It functions like a Soxhlet, like a still, and a liquid liquid extractor, all in one piece of equipment!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've got two Alihns that are not interchangable with my liquid/liquid and Soxhlet. Do you know of anywhere you can just buy the sidearm w/shut off valve? I believe that is the term for that piece of the appartaus. I am not stoked about buying a distillation setup and would rather stay away from having expensive and breakable glassware.

benzyme
#26 Posted : 10/18/2008 2:32:03 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

vacuum dessicator.
great for protecting products from oxidation/carbonation/hydration from air
benzyme attached the following image(s):
DSC_2614.JPG (116kb) downloaded 374 time(s).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Eagerfish
#27 Posted : 11/19/2008 3:07:43 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM is currently setting up a more lab like spice factory. SWIM likes the all-in-once device idea, however the extractors that can be used as a soxhlet seem to be hard to find. SWIM only found the one below and it's actually more expensive than a separate soxhlet + extractor.

EXTRACTION APPARATUS 500 ML, LIQUID-LI./ST-COMP. ST.-COCK, EXTRACTOR SOC. ST 45/40, INSET CONE ST 45/40, SOCKET ST 29/32, COND. 2XST 29/32, JAC.L. 250 MM, FLASK RD.BOT. 1000 ML, ST 29/32

Any help would be very much appreciated!

If I dont meet you no more in this world then uh I'll meet you on the next one and don't be late

Eagerfish
#28 Posted : 11/19/2008 9:55:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Found one on ebay today, the photo's are a bit blurry but I think it's the Pyrex 3922 extractor, capacity is 1000 ml. It doesn't come with a shut-off valve but it's modular so that can be fixed in the future. The seller has another one available, see here

If I dont meet you no more in this world then uh I'll meet you on the next one and don't be late

69ron
#29 Posted : 11/19/2008 11:06:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Eagerfish wrote:
Found one on ebay today, the photo's are a bit blurry but I think it's the Pyrex 3922 extractor, capacity is 1000 ml. It doesn't come with a shut-off valve but it's modular so that can be fixed in the future. The seller has another one available, see here

I'd be worried about it leaking. I don't trust that kind. I prefer it all one leak proof piece.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

eindreizig
#30 Posted : 11/20/2008 6:34:03 AM
DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
Eagerfish wrote:

I'd be worried about it leaking. I don't trust that kind. I prefer it all one leak proof piece.

That's the kind I have. It's pretty simple to keep from leaking, the parts fit together nice, its emptying the entire setup at the end that can be difficult, because you have to have the side-arm on just right or else it /will/ leak when you are pouring things out.

lysergic
#31 Posted : 11/20/2008 8:23:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Would anyone happen to know about how much shredded mhrb would fit into a 1000ml soxhlet?

SWWIM was thinking about purchasing one of these: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2629909
Swim likes to run at least 300-450g at a time. It would be great if these could hold that much.

Eagerfish
#32 Posted : 11/20/2008 10:28:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

That's the kind I have. It's pretty simple to keep from leaking, the parts fit together nice, its emptying the entire setup at the end that can be difficult, because you have to have the side-arm on just right or else it /will/ leak when you are pouring things out.

Nice to know there probably won't by any leaking problems. Did you ever consider to buy the optional sidearm with the shut-off valve?

Quote:

Would anyone happen to know about how much shredded MHRB would fit into a 1000ml soxhlet?
SWWIM was thinking about purchasing one of these: http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2629909
SWIM likes to run at least 300-450g at a time. It would be great if these could hold that much.

This is what SWIM found in another topic

Quote:

and I'm not sure you could fit all 500g in a 500ml extractor, which is roughly 500cc's. to fit, that would mean MHRB would need to have a density similar to water.. ~ 1g/mL.
however, a 500mL soxhlet should easily be able to extract from half a pound (227g) of powdered material at a time.

soulman
#33 Posted : 11/21/2008 4:12:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great thread guys!!

Does anybody know of/use anything good (that can be bought cheaply from shops) to syphon/extract the top layer of naptha from a STB.
I know most techniques say a turkey baster, but SWIM read that they aint the best, so he thought he be clever and buy some syringes. Thesse work kinda good until the naptha fucks the rubber seal which seems to make drawing anything up very difficult.
So i just wondered if any of you guys use anything cheap simple and effective?
You have to go within or you go without

endlessness
#34 Posted : 11/21/2008 4:26:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

soulman wrote:
Great thread guys!!

Does anybody know of/use anything good (that can be bought cheaply from shops) to syphon/extract the top layer of naptha from a STB.
I know most techniques say a turkey baster, but SWIM read that they aint the best, so he thought he be clever and buy some syringes. Thesse work kinda good until the naptha fucks the rubber seal which seems to make drawing anything up very difficult.

yes, SWIM's technique has helped him a lot

his container where the mimosa water+solvent are in, has the opening large enough to fit SWIM's hand.. So SWIM basically submerges an empty drinking glass.. Basically, as soon as the top of the glass goes under the liquid, the liquid starts going into it.. Since the naphtha layer is on top, it is the first thing to go into the glass.. Then once the glass is near full, he pulls it out and passes some water on the side of the glass which will be all dirty from going in the mimosa mix. So now there is a glass full of naphtha and maybe some of the dark basidified layer on the bottom.. Since the glass is much thinner than the original container, the layer of naphtha is much thicker in the glass, so its much easier to pipette it out (SWIM uses a glass pipette) .

another thing one might do is like people do to take gasoline out of a car to give gasoline to another car that needs some.. Basically using a tube that stays inside the naphtha layer (nearly but not touching the bottom layer with mimosa). Then this tube would have to go out and the other end would have to be on a lower level (with another container under). So basically start sucking up (dont use mouth, you dont want to accidentally swallow this stuff. maybe a quick use of vacuum cleaner or something), so due to gravity it will all get pulled and fall..

SWIM never done this second one, just thought it could work, specially for people making big extractions with loads of solvent and so on..

Eagerfish
#35 Posted : 11/21/2008 4:47:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As an alternative you could use a Separatory Funnel, you can buy them on ebay for a couple of $$$

soulman
#36 Posted : 11/21/2008 5:58:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

[quote=endlessness

yes, SWIM's technique has helped him a lot

his container where the mimosa water+solvent are in, has the opening large enough to fit SWIM's hand.. So SWIM basically submerges an empty drinking glass.. Basically, as soon as the top of the glass goes under the liquid, the liquid starts going into it.. Since the naphtha layer is on top, it is the first thing to go into the glass.. Then once the glass is near full, he pulls it out and passes some water on the side of the glass which will be all dirty from going in the mimosa mix. So now there is a glass full of naphtha and maybe some of the dark basidified layer on the bottom.. Since the glass is much thinner than the original container, the layer of naphtha is much thicker in the glass, so its much easier to pipette it out (SWIM uses a glass pipette) .

quote]

Jeez what the hell is he usin as a container?
See, SWIMs situatiuon aint the best for mass extraction. He shares a house with 5 others, so has got to keep his shit a little discreet. His container is an empty bratwurst jar, which kinda dooes the job, but it certainly aint big enough to be putting glasses in or what not.
He was hoping for somethin more "household". The amount of paraphinelia he has had to buy for this is ridiculous.
I cant imagine hel be able to get a seperation funnel in his town either. Might have to be a internet job right?
You have to go within or you go without

lysergic
#37 Posted : 11/22/2008 9:19:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

soulman wrote:
Great thread guys!!

SWIM uses this. A very good solution for your syringe problem Very happy

This way, the naphtha never touches the rubber.

benzyme
#38 Posted : 11/25/2008 4:00:33 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

sweet...

swim just got this
for $149.. about $100-200 less than what they normally sell for (used).
these pumps are standard lab pumps, serious workhorses; designed to run continuously, and should last at least a decade before needing a rebuild (which is easy and relatively cheap).
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

69ron
#39 Posted : 11/25/2008 11:09:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Does it do both pressure and vacuum?

How much vacuum?

benzyme
#40 Posted : 11/25/2008 3:07:35 PM

analytical chemist

69ron wrote:
Does it do both pressure and vacuum?

How much vacuum?

yes.

you can vary it between 25.5"(Hg)vacuum/60psi pressure (continuously). vacuum port is on the (your) right.
here's an ad for it at the Cole-Parmer site (P704 and P104 are basically the same model, both Gast). They're also sometimes listed under other trade names, like Millipore XX5500000

I know, it's not exactly deep vacuum, but it is controllable: those knobs behind the gauges let you regulate between vac and pressure.
this pump is ideal for filtration (an application which swim has used a number of times during his two semesters of polymer research), chromatography, desiccation (chambers and ovens), protein seps, distillation (including rotavaps), sublimation... the list goes on and on..

rotary vane pumps often pull 29.8+", but that's mainly used for heavy duty applications; can't really use it for filtration, some manufacturers (i.e. Fisher Scientific) even mention this.
swim had considered getting a rotary vane pump, but it requires extra accessories, namely gauges and reg valves, adding to the already relatively high cost of the pump.
valves and gauges come standard on the DOA-P104 AA, which is what that is in the pic. this model is cited several times in protein sep research papers.

the other thing swim is enthused about is the ease of repair; there are so many of these pumps out there, thus there are plenty of parts available for it. attached is the repair manual and spec sheet.
this thing is like a good solid piece of furniture...once you have one, you're set; won't need another for a long time.

PREV123NEXT