We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
Reagent to test for DMT in plants? Options

Reborn
#21 Posted : 10/9/2008 2:09:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Agreed with all the suggested testing methods but in the end you need GC/LC-MS to publish.
It’s the gold standard.
It would be simple to set up large scale collections across the planet and ship to a central site as fresh as possible.
All extractions could be done in a lab followed by LC-MS on the extracts.
You could do 20-30 samples per day with dynamic range over 4 orders of magnitude from the extract with SRMs. It’s not a question of how to do it, its how to do it with permission.
You cannot publish a paper without releasing your identity.
But if one were to have a tenured professor in a more liberal country that could sponsor the research in ones lab then this becomes more straight forward.
I know lots of people give me time Smile
Memory, prophecy and fantasy
-the past, the future and the dreaming moment between -
are all in one country, living one immortal day.
To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Jorkest
#22 Posted : 10/9/2008 2:14:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

do your thing Reborn...we are waiting...well those of us that arent kick ass chemist folk:-P
it's a sound

benzyme
#23 Posted : 10/9/2008 4:24:16 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

i favor LC-MS over GC-MS, the latter is just old. i know it's standard (particularly for volatiles), but i just favor non-destructive means of determining alkaloids, if that makes any sense. Confused

some guy in the shroomery claimed he had a 'gas chromatographer' that could determine lsd in a sample. Laughing

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

drainlife20
#24 Posted : 10/9/2008 5:28:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This isn't an easy way, but there's a modified Ehrlich's Reagent that can be used.
Quote:
CONTENTS: 0.5 ml concentrated hydrochloric acid (cap ampoule) and 0.5 ml of a 5% solution of p-dimethylamino benzaldehyde (bottom ampoule).
Colors: a. A slowly-developing (30-60 seconds) purple color is indicative of the presence of LSD or other ergot alkaloids. b. A wine pink color indicates the presence of DMT or DET.

A little more specific than Marquis from what I remember about it, but I'm sure there are a slew of other things that could give false positives. How would gramine react with this reagent? That would be something to find out. Gramine is stupid expensive as a research chemical which is understandable, so this would still be difficult SWIM imagines.
Thanks for reading my dream diary! I hope you found it interesting! LMBO!

Reborn
#25 Posted : 10/9/2008 6:13:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well we will wait a while, there is no way in my current position,
I will have to look for outside help.
Saying it can be done doesn't make it easy.

burnt
#26 Posted : 10/9/2008 9:58:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

LC-MS is great but solvent costs would add up. GC-MS dmt is clearly visible in buuuuut crude plant extracts aren't always the best thing to put into such an instrument without some cleaning up. Buts its still quite straight forward.

The main problem with doing such a study is not the legality but rather time and funding. Its not illegal to take a plant with an unknown chemical composition and test it for a compound even if that compound is illegal.

Well and of course the facilities to do such work is a limit for most people.

But if people do have some plants that have a reason to test it is possible. Just large scale screening is not so practical unless people decided dmt was a compound needed in high demand but thats wouldn't happen even if it was legal its so easy to make and there are enough plant sources already known.

Infundibulum
#27 Posted : 10/9/2008 10:34:22 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Well, that is possibly why development of a crude field test (that does not give too many false positives/negatives) is essential; It has to be available to everyone, so everyone can go around and assess their flora. Should one has a qualitative indication that dmt or similar is present in some plant, it can then be easily sent to some "lab" where alkaloids can be extracted and mass specked.

As for publication, this is a no-no. One needs real world names, real world affiliations ("hyperspace" does not qualify as such) etc etc and well... my best guess would be that the major part of such a work would be clandestine...Sad

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

burnt
#28 Posted : 10/9/2008 2:33:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TLC would be the best crude field test. a crude extract a mobile phase selective for spice (although overlap will always be an issue with crude extracts its ok) and a specific spray reagent.

Infundibulum
#29 Posted : 10/9/2008 4:35:42 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

But where can laymen get their TLC plates? can they prepare the spray reagent themselves? These are the problems that baffle me...

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Reborn
#30 Posted : 10/10/2008 3:08:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

TLC supplies can easily be obtained. Sure you could find them on Ebay. Its very very simple to learn.

As far as the study I was suggesting I never meant it would be illegal, I just would lose my job over it but I wouldn't go to jail.

Someday if I am in a position where I have more freedom I would certainly publish the work with my name on it.

burnt
#31 Posted : 10/10/2008 9:51:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^yea its not worth losing job over hehe.

but yes TLC supplies are easy to get. you can buy the plates somewhere and just use basic equipment and solvents to run them.

spray reagents are usually fairly simple recipes but some of the chemicals in them are tough to come by.

PREV12