We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
OTC sources for ethyl acetate Options

69ron
#1 Posted : 9/16/2008 12:53:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ethyl acetate is quite a useful solvent and might possibly be useful for freeze precipitating DMT. It works for freeze precipitating 5-HO-DMT. It is safer than naphtha. Ethyl acetate is found in some fruit.

I've been looking and looking and I can't find a single OTC source for ethyl acetate. The local nail polish remover's do not contain it (they have acetone or methyl acetate). I've seen some brands on-line with ethyl acetate listed as one of many ingredients.

Other than nail polish remover, what are good OTC sources for ethyl acetate?
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Entropymancer
#2 Posted : 9/16/2008 1:04:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

I don't know of any OTC sources either.

But what about reacting ethyl alcohol with acetic acid (using sulfuric acid as a catalyst)?

endlessness
#3 Posted : 9/16/2008 1:20:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

see 69ron... I told you how here all is controlled, but ethyl acetate is available OTC easily.. so tell me, what are the advantages of it? Smile

69ron
#4 Posted : 9/16/2008 1:40:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
see 69ron... I told you how here all is controlled, but ethyl acetate is available OTC easily.. so tell me, what are the advantages of it? Smile

Here are the chemical properties that make it interesting:

XlogP = 0.7
Freezing Point = −83.6 °C
Boiling Point = 77.1 °C

First off the XlogP is 0.7, so many compounds that are insoluble in naphtha are soluble in it. In that way it’s similar to DCM. For example, DMT N-Oxide should be quite soluble in it.

The problem with DCM is that almost nothing can be freeze precipitated in it because almost everything is highly soluble in it even at freezing temperatures. A lot of things can be freeze precipitated in naphtha. The same is true for ethyl acetate. It’s known that you can freeze precipitate 5-HO-DMT in ethyl acetate. It may be possible to freeze precipitate DMT N-Oxide from ethyl acetate as well. It is worth a try.

Because of its low boiling point it can be easily distilled and recycled. In that way it’s similar to DCM. Naphtha takes a lot of energy to distill, so it’s quite expensive to recycle it.

I think the nicest thing about it is that it’s present in fruit, so our bodies are used to dealing with traces of it on a daily basis.

In many extraction techs ethyl acetate is given as a possible substitute for DCM, chloroform, and ether. It’s now used instead of DCM to decaffeinate coffee because it’s believed to be less toxic.

If it’s possible to freeze precipitate DMT N-Oxide from it, it would be a great solvent for extracting from leafy plants like Diplopterys and Psychotria. Currently SWIM knows of no way to freeze precipitate DMT N-Oxide.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

clamshavefeelingstoo
#5 Posted : 6/17/2009 8:49:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you're able to separate it from a solution also containing IPA and H20, I've seen non-acetone nail polish removers containing up to 80% ethyl acetate.

mandelbrots uncle
#6 Posted : 6/25/2009 5:51:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

EtOAc is present in many OTC products, including non-acetone nail varnish solvents, certain perfumes, and paint hardeners and some special resin catalysts - It is rare to find an OTC product containing it in pure form (though I think in the US there may be a brake cleaning product that is so) however distillation is relatively easy.

69ron
#7 Posted : 6/25/2009 7:14:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ethyl acetate is banned in some states. I believe it is banned in California.

West-en
#8 Posted : 6/25/2009 11:03:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Etyl acetate, isn't it miscible with water? Wouldn't be good for pulling out DMT N-Oxide then?
There's a clear difference between what I say I do and what I actually do perform.

69ron
#9 Posted : 6/26/2009 1:37:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ethyl acetate is only 8.7% soluble in water so it will form 2 distinct layers once you go beyond that 8.7%, and so it can be used in an A/B. It's use is very similar to MEK and a lot of things soluble in it are also soluble in MEK. MEK is 24% soluble in water and also forms 2 layers once you go beyond that 24%.

MEK boils at 79.64°C.
MEK evaporates at the rate of 3.7 (butyl acetate=1).
Ethyl acetate boils at 77.11°C.
Ethyl acetate evaporates at the rate of 6.2 (butyl acetate=1).

So MEK boils at a slighter higher temperature and evaporates about 1/2 as fast. Ethyl acetate is clearly the better solvent.

DMT N-Oxide is soluble in both MEK and ethyl acetate.