We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
chemistry of jurema / mimosa hostilis Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 9/11/2008 3:15:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So I´ve been looking for the specific phytochemistry of jurema, but can´t find a source that is complete.. Most just cite the presence of dmt.. I´ve seen nmt mentioned, I´ve even seen 5-meo-dmt mentioned in this website , though it was the first time I heard this claim. They cite as a source Raetsch´s encyclopedia, which I dont have, so I cant tell if its true.. Also there is this page claiming 5-meo-dmt in mimosa tenuiflora, but not hostilis.. supposedly they are both the same, but as entropymancer mentions in this thread, there seems to be a botanical confusion and misidentification about the tenuiflora/hostilis/verrucosa, so we´re left wondering what did they mean by diferentiating the tenuiflora and hostilis there.

so what else is there? yuremamine, according to callaway´s findings

then according to burnt´s ´acquaintance´s research, there is some evidence of tetrahydroharman present.. but then it is mentioned that it may be a degradation product of yuremamine or dmt itself

I guess also some dmt n-oxide must be present to some degree, specially with older stuff?

so what claims do we have so far..

nmt
dmt
dmt n oxide
5-meo-dmt
yuremamine
tetrahydroharman

the 5-meo seems the most unsubstantiated claim so far.. I also didnt see much back up for nmt.. the oxide is just my guess

anybody wants to come with some proper sources or educated guesses for all of this? what is there in jurema, as far as we know, and how much of each does there seem to be ? DMT seems to be maybe 1% of it (taking the 0,56 number from ott, but also with many ppl extracting twice as much as that or even more).. what about the rest of the chemicals? enlighten me, ppl Smile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

69ron
#2 Posted : 9/11/2008 4:08:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

All plants that contain DMT must also contain DMT N-Oxide unless they are somehow either shielded entirely from oxygen or they contain large amounts of antioxidants like vitamin C.

DMT oxidizes quite easily. The plant sources of DMT all create oxygen as part of their life cycle. The plant’s leaves are the primary site responsible for photosynthesis. The process of photosynthesis generates oxygen as a waste product. That’s why leaves usually contain large amounts of DMT N-Oxide. So when extracting from leaves such as Diplotperys and Chancruna, solvents like naphtha and heptane are not recommended because they cannot extract DMT N-Oxide. Solvents like DCM and ether are better choices for extraction from leaves. This rule applies almost universally to all alkaloids extracted from leaves because the N-Oxides of nearly every alkaloid, not just DMT, are insoluble in naphtha and heptane.

Root bark is not responsible for photosynthesis, and it is not fully exposed to open air, but some oxygen is present in the soil that surrounds the root bark, so some DMT N-Oxide does form in root bark. The inner bark should have less DMT N-Oxide than the outer bark has before it is harvested. But once it’s harvested much of it starts oxidizing into DMT N-Oxide on the surfaces of the bark exposed to open air.

I guarantee that all the plant sources of DMT available on the market do contain DMT N-Oxide. Unless the plant material is stored away from oxygen or kept in an antioxidant solution, then it will contain DMT N-Oxide. All it takes is a few minutes in warm temperature with available oxygen and DMT N-Oxide starts forming from DMT.

One reason why many sources do not show DMT N-Oxide content in plant material is because nearly all tests detect DMT N-Oxide as DMT.

You can easily verify that Mimosa has DMT N-Oxide. First, defat your acidic solution 10 times with DCM, and then 10 times with naphtha to ensure it’s completely defated. Then basify and exhaustively extract your basified solution 10 times with naphtha. Then extract only 3 times with DCM. The DCM always pulls out some DMT N-Oxide. When it dries it forms a yellowish goo that is quite active. It feels very similar to DMT, but is a little mellower. Test it, and it shows up in most tests as DMT, but it’s obviously not DMT because it’s insoluble in naphtha.

NOTE: According to SWIM, DCM is the best solvent for extracting DMT N-Oxide. DMT N-Oxide is insoluble in naphtha, xylene, and heptane. It’s poorly soluble in ether and chloroform, but more soluble in DCM, and extremely soluble in water. So unless you’re using DCM, ether, or chloroform, you’re not extracting DMT N-Oxide.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

69ron
#3 Posted : 9/11/2008 4:16:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
the 5-meo seems the most unsubstantiated claim so far..

It could be that some 5-MeO-DMT is present in some specific strains of Mimosa that rarely show up on the market. Some close relatives of Mimosa are known to contain 5-MeO-DMT, so it is quite possible.

I know that some strains of Diplopterys are completely void of 5-MeO-DMT while others contain tons of it. The strains that SWIM buys contain an abundance of 5-MeO-DMT, at about 33% of the total alkaloid makeup.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

endlessness
#4 Posted : 9/11/2008 2:35:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:
endlessness wrote:
the 5-meo seems the most unsubstantiated claim so far..

It could be that some 5-MeO-DMT is present in some specific strains of Mimosa that rarely show up on the market. Some close relatives of Mimosa are known to contain 5-MeO-DMT, so it is quite possible.

I know that some strains of Diplopterys are completely void of 5-MeO-DMT while others contain tons of it. The strains that SWIM buys contain an abundance of 5-MeO-DMT, at about 33% of the total alkaloid makeup.

firstly thanks a lot for your answers, 69ron.. always very helpful and informative..

btw, as for the 5-meo-dmt.. Well, when talking about jurema I mostly mean the white flowered mimosa hostilis, which I never heard of any 5-meo-dmt, except for those two quite random internet sources, which is why it doesnt seem too trustable. Maybe there are some strains which contain, but for mimosa hostilis, I guess it would have been more mentioned so far, heh?

and what about nmt, any idea on that?

is there any phytochemical jurema scientific papers around, like there is of ayahuasca?

thanks Smile

anybody else wanna have a go at what they know/suppose of the jurema chemistry?