We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Best way to separate solvent (decanting)? Options

EnterTheVoid
#1 Posted : 5/17/2011 12:40:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello fellow nexians!

I am following a tek where I have my MHRB mixture in a 1 gallon jug. It's a typical water jug.

Now all the teks I've read say to just pour the naphtha layer off the top - this step is harder than anything else for me. I can manage to pour about 60-75% of the naphtha off, but after that all I pour out is the sludge. I can still see the naphtha layer, and I can slowly get it out using an eye dropper... but that is slow and tedious work.

So I come to you asking the best way to separate my naphtha. Is it possible to pour off almost all of it?

Thanks Very happy

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Xt
#2 Posted : 5/17/2011 1:17:53 AM

Double decanting works well... that is roughly scooping out the solvent into a smaller, taller vessel. Letting it settle then decanting from that.

Or with a glass baster, a glass syringe & steel luer lock needle,
or a small deep spoon, or a 2000ml Sep funnal.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

endlessness
#3 Posted : 5/17/2011 8:24:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As he said ^

Also you can do the first decanting and then use a glass syringe (ideal) or glass pippette to separate the second time around.

Also check the FAQ Smile

Enoon
#4 Posted : 5/17/2011 9:23:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

pasteur pipettes are great for smaller pulls (up to 100ml) otherwise it gets tedious... But the shape of the vessel definitely can aid in the process of separating....
Here's a pic of some nice pipettes like the ones I use:
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

endlessness
#5 Posted : 5/17/2011 11:22:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah those will def work for smaller volumes. Though the potential issue I see there is if you suck too much solvent and it reaches the rubber, possibly resulting in rubber/plastic traces in your product ?

I really think that glass syringes are best way to go for this style of separation (if you dont count separatory funnel) because they are all glass and there are larger volume ones, so even big pulls are fine and fast (and maybe have a small glass syringe or pipette for smaller volumes)

Enoon
#6 Posted : 5/17/2011 11:31:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

endlessness wrote:
Yeah those will def work for smaller volumes. Though the potential issue I see there is if you suck too much solvent and it reaches the rubber, possibly resulting in rubber/plastic traces in your product ?

I really think that glass syringes are best way to go for this style of separation (if you dont count separatory funnel) because they are all glass and there are larger volume ones, so even big pulls are fine and fast (and maybe have a small glass syringe or pipette for smaller volumes)

well you can easily test if your pipette is too small for the rubber ball. normally the pipette volume is a bit larger than the volume of the rubber ball so the scenario you just presented can't happen. If you're worried about it you can test it with water before you use solvents. But no chemist wants this to happen with their pipettes, so they are usually designed so that it doesn't happen...
IMO pipettes are much easier to use than syringes...
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

damon
#7 Posted : 5/17/2011 2:49:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use a 25 mL glass pipette with a multi-valve bulb. You can get various sizes and a bulb for less than $20. And this wasn't mentioned, but you can squeeze the jug to keep the solvent in the neck as you draw it out.

crystalizer
#8 Posted : 5/17/2011 6:43:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Agree with damon, glass pipettes (20-100mL) and a pipettman (peleusball, pipettball whatsoever) are the best way. Decanting really sucks. As damon said, you get the stuff for under 20$.

Seperatory funnels are also a littel bit tricky depending on the solvent you use. For solvents like chcl3 it works nice, as your solvent would be the bottom layer and easy to remove... but using other solvenst leaves them floating on top, so first get the sludge out, then comes your solvent... as you want to do more pulls again sludge in, solvent in etc...from my experience that sucked, even when considering you can do an extra wash, as the solvent remains in the funnel and you just add some clean water...

crystalizer attached the following image(s):
messpipette.jpg (71kb) downloaded 115 time(s).
Zwischenablage01.jpg (4kb) downloaded 116 time(s).
"It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."
-NOT Darwin

EnterTheVoid
#9 Posted : 5/17/2011 7:50:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'll have to pick up a pipette I guess. Until then, I'll just continue what I've been doing.