We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Marijuana poised to become legal in Canada Options

Newfoundland
#1 Posted : 5/17/2011 12:21:08 AM

Jeff

I was at the Global Marijuana March in Toronto last week where i heard this news for the first time. It is now all over the news, who thinks this will actually happen? I am keeping my fingers crossed. Very happy

Marijuana poised to become legal in Canada July 11, 2011

Pot laws ruled unconstitutional
Excerpt:

An Ontario Superior Court judge has ruled that the federal medical
marijuana program is unconstitutional, giving the government three
months to fix the problem before pot is effectively legalized.

In an April 11 ruling, Justice Donald
Taliano found that doctors across the country have “massively
boycotted” the medical marijuana program and largely refuse to sign off
on forms giving sick people access to necessary medication.

As a result, legitimately sick people
cannot access medical marijuana through appropriate means and must
resort to illegal actions.

Doctors’ “overwhelming refusal to
participate in the medicinal marijuana program completely undermines the
effectiveness of the program,” the judge wrote in his ruling.

“The effect of this blind delegation
is that seriously ill people who need marijuana to treat their symptoms
are branded criminals simply because they are unable to overcome the
barriers to legal access put in place by the legislative scheme.”

Taliano declared the program to be
invalid, as well as the criminal laws prohibiting possession and
production of cannabis. He suspended his ruling for three months, giving
Ottawa until mid-July to fix the program or face the prospect of
effectively legalizing possession and production of cannabis.

I was at the Global Marijuana March in Toronto last week and this was big news that everyone was talking about, I hope this will actually happen

"Everything i say is Fiction, for those who dont understand Pleased"

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

MooshyPeaches
#2 Posted : 5/17/2011 12:40:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

honestly doesn't matter to me if it becomes legal or not, this shouldn't even be a constant issue that we are struggling with *sigh*

but i wouldn't get your hopes up, this has happend before and it always doesn't pull through, HOWEVER; if it does.........HURRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHHH

tigerstrike92
#3 Posted : 5/17/2011 2:24:22 AM

Homo-divinorum

Hopefully Canada will pull through, then it will only be a matter of time before the U.S. follows suit.... I hope.

If not, I guess I'll just move to Canada.
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

Metanoia
#4 Posted : 5/17/2011 3:56:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

They'll probably just fix the current medical marijuana program, forcing doctors to give more patients access to the herb. If it was made legal, I'd be shocked. And I bet it wouldn't last...there would be all kinds of close-minded law enforcement and religious groups that would lobby to have it made illegal again.

Dimitrius
#5 Posted : 5/17/2011 7:01:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Still, Smile.

Go Taliano!
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

Dr_Sister
#6 Posted : 5/17/2011 2:35:06 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

Didn't "President" Harper just get a majority? Sad

Much as Sister would love to see pot legalized in Canada, she also thinks Harper would move heaven and earth to avoid pot getting legal status on HIS watch.

jamie
#7 Posted : 5/17/2011 6:07:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Harper is an idiot, like a monkey dancing around in a human suit. I wouldnt expect him to do anything worthwhile.
Long live the unwoke.

cecil_cbr
#8 Posted : 5/18/2011 5:00:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Atleast we've come a long way in getting pot more and more de-criminalized in recent years. I knew a guy who got 10 years in prison for possession of just a few grams back in the early 90's. Makes you sick thinking about what our laws have done to good, kind hearted people.

lontana da verita
#9 Posted : 5/18/2011 8:27:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would love to see marijuana legal, but I don't feel like I could be optimistic about such a possibility in North America at the present time. Granted, many steps have been taken towards liberalization of the laws surrounding marijuana in particular, but as the California referendum showed there are forces in U.S. and possibly by extension Canada that are not comfortable with outright legalization and will fight tooth and nail against it. On the other hand, I think Canada might have a much easier time freeing themselves of harmful drug laws due to their smaller and less conservative population. Peyote is already specifically exempt from Canadian law banning mescaline.

On a slightly related note, I am somewhat disheartened that North American society's reluctant reexamination of the potential of marijuana for medical uses has not resulted in a similar reexamination of other controlled substances with IMO more potential than marijuana.
Everything I post is complete fiction. Any similarities to real events or people is entirely coincidence.

tigerstrike92
#10 Posted : 5/19/2011 4:58:25 AM

Homo-divinorum

This may be of some good news to you lontana. I was recently at a bioethics conference, and there were a couple presenters who talked about the many studies being done right now concerning the therapeutic uses of psilocybin, such as easing the end of life transition. There is a glimmer of hope in this dark void of government control.
Let the plants guide you, for they teach lessons beyond what we humans can offer.
Distorted is our perception of reality, because reality is much more distorted than we could ever perceive it to be.

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Follow the path you have chosen, travelers, you will not regret the outcome, that I can assure you.

SnozzleBerry
#11 Posted : 5/19/2011 5:36:20 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

lontana da verita wrote:
On a slightly related note, I am somewhat disheartened that North American society's reluctant reexamination of the potential of marijuana for medical uses has not resulted in a similar reexamination of other controlled substances with IMO more potential than marijuana.

tigerstrike92 wrote:
This may be of some good news to you lontana. I was recently at a bioethics conference, and there were a couple presenters who talked about the many studies being done right now concerning the therapeutic uses of psilocybin, such as easing the end of life transition. There is a glimmer of hope in this dark void of government control.

And don't forget the MAPS studies on MDMA for PTSD (I also think mescaline could be very effectively applied in this arena).
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Metanoia
#12 Posted : 5/20/2011 4:15:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tigerstrike92 wrote:
There is a glimmer of hope in this dark void of government control.

Well said, and we should all do our best to think this way.

christian
#13 Posted : 5/20/2011 8:08:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

finally,finally-(perhaps), they consider letting you smoke a bit of a plant that grows on the roadside...What is the world coming to ,i ask???

-ALL PLANTS SHOULD BE LEGAL,SOD ALL BANNING GOVERNMENTS, THEY ARE THE SATAN WE HAVE BEEN WARNED OF!!
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

spacegiraffe
#14 Posted : 5/21/2011 2:55:04 AM

^_^

Going on holiday to Canada in early January next year. Hopefully they just give up and legalize this time so that the US and, subsequently, the world can follow suit.
Then I can enjoy 2012 with an ounce of BC bud on the slopes of Whistler mountain Smile
Quote:
Give up already. Some people say you should never give up but don't be foolish. Knowing when to give up is important for both survival and is vital to being able to learn effectively. Giving up on some tasks gives you more time and energy to focus on other more important tasks. This may confuse or annoy you, some people have more ambition and determination than sense, but I'll give you some examples to illustrate my point:

You should give up on being like everyone else so you can be true to yourself. Give up on an easy mundane life so that you can live life sincerely. Give up on feeling safe and secure so you can live your dreams. Give up on being perfect so you can be your best. Life is all about trade-offs. There is no right or wrong way to live your life but that doesn't mean you can act however you want and still achieve anything you want. To add something you must remove something else. To achieve something you must give up on something else.

youmustbehaveasagod
#15 Posted : 5/21/2011 5:08:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

no chance Harper would let it happen. just happy we can still get our caapi and mimosa!

jamie
#16 Posted : 5/21/2011 5:17:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

spacegiraffe wrote:
Going on holiday to Canada in early January next year. Hopefully they just give up and legalize this time so that the US and, subsequently, the world can follow suit.
Then I can enjoy 2012 with an ounce of BC bud on the slopes of Whistler mountain Smile

Well, we do that anyway...if you cant come across it in whistler or here in Van than I dunno where you can..

I find it odd that they even have discussions about it being legalized. It is legal as far as I am concerned. At least here in vancouver I have the choice of a few cafes not far from me that all allow you to smoke there. We have vapor lounges etc..Never once have I seen the police do anything while I was there. Of course there is still no buying or selling in the cafes, but you can sit down, order food and smoke a joint without a second glance. Keeping it illegal in the books is a joke, they dont even do anything anyway. I have been caught with cannabis multiple times in public places while smoking it and never once have I been charged with anything or even handcuffed. It is a waste of money and time and the police know this, they dont even want to bother with paperwork over some guy smoking cannabis.
Long live the unwoke.

spacegiraffe
#17 Posted : 5/21/2011 5:42:51 AM

^_^

fractal enchantment wrote:
Well, we do that anyway...if you cant come across it in whistler or here in Van than I dunno where you can..

I find plenty here in Australia but I've never been to BC or even Canada at all. I could get some in Vancouver but I'm staying on Whistler mountain with my family and they're not the most understanding people; they believe that the law is the law. Also, I assume that an ounce of bud would be cheaper if it were legal though, like I said, I haven't been to Canada before so it might be incredibly cheap there no matter it's legal status.
Quote:
Give up already. Some people say you should never give up but don't be foolish. Knowing when to give up is important for both survival and is vital to being able to learn effectively. Giving up on some tasks gives you more time and energy to focus on other more important tasks. This may confuse or annoy you, some people have more ambition and determination than sense, but I'll give you some examples to illustrate my point:

You should give up on being like everyone else so you can be true to yourself. Give up on an easy mundane life so that you can live life sincerely. Give up on feeling safe and secure so you can live your dreams. Give up on being perfect so you can be your best. Life is all about trade-offs. There is no right or wrong way to live your life but that doesn't mean you can act however you want and still achieve anything you want. To add something you must remove something else. To achieve something you must give up on something else.

jamie
#18 Posted : 5/21/2011 6:35:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well..really there is no talk of prices(or buying/selling) at all here at the nexus but I will say that from what I know of Amsterdam, legalizing cannabis does not really mean it is cheaper. Anyway back to cannabis laws..
Long live the unwoke.