We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
First Scientifically Confirmed Poisonous Bird Options

actualfactual
#1 Posted : 4/25/2011 4:35:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Shrabbit420
#2 Posted : 4/25/2011 8:39:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Birds that make the same poison(s) as 'poison dart frogs', that is awesome. And gives me another reason to dislike birds. It looks like a demonic crow with red eyes and feathers.
“Surrender is inner acceptance of what is without any reservations. If you have lived long enough, you will know that things “go wrong” quite often. It is precisely at those times that surrender needs to be practiced if you want to eliminate pain and sorrow from your life.”

Eckhart Tolle

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 4/25/2011 8:25:37 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Shrabbit420 wrote:
Birds that make the same poison(s) as 'poison dart frogs', that is awesome. And gives me another reason to dislike birds. It looks like a demonic crow with red eyes and feathers.

Because there is now a confirmed poisonous bird you have a reason to dislike all birds? To me that sounds a bit unfair and not completely realistic.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

HBFrank
#4 Posted : 4/25/2011 8:39:51 PM

Frank

Because there is now a confirmed poisonous bird you have a reason to dislike all birds? To me that sounds a bit unfair and not completely realistic.

Kind regards,

The Traveler[/quote]

hahaha - i LIVE with around 40 parrots (My wife and i run a parrot rescue) - now THAT'S a reason to dislike birds... and i still like em.... but man do they get noisy.

BananaForeskin
#5 Posted : 4/25/2011 11:34:13 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

He did say ANOTHER reason to dislike birds, in all fairness. Do I sense childhood trauma Shocked Anywho, neat video/fact.
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

Ice House
#6 Posted : 4/26/2011 12:33:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

I love all birds.

Dont play with fire and you wont get burned.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

azrael
#7 Posted : 4/26/2011 8:55:28 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Exactly the same poison as the frogs? Birds and frogs are fairly distant creatures to have such a similar set of toxins. I can see how the steroidal ring base is common in animals, but it's cool that they share something so specific. Obviously not impossible, just unlikely and makes my inner nerd go fuzzy.

C'mon biochemists, shatter my moment of bliss with your hammer of science!

DeMenTed
#8 Posted : 4/26/2011 10:59:48 AM

Barry

azrael wrote:
Exactly the same poison as the frogs? Birds and frogs are fairly distant creatures to have such a similar set of toxins. I can see how the steroidal ring base is common in animals, but it's cool that they share something so specific. Obviously not impossible, just unlikely and makes my inner nerd go fuzzy.

I'm pretty sure that the frogs obtain their toxins by what they eat. I think they eat some bug that's poisonous so maybe this bird does the same? anyone know?

The Traveler
#9 Posted : 4/26/2011 12:51:04 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

DeMenTed wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the frogs obtain their toxins by what they eat. I think they eat some bug that's poisonous so maybe this bird does the same? anyone know?

Yes, the frogs get this by eating some type of bugs. The bugs probably don't make the poison themselves but get it by eating certain plants.

I guess that the same is happening with the poisonous birds. It would also explain why birds of the same species have a great variation with how poisonous they are.

Poisonous Birds:
Poisonous Birds wrote:
It turns out that pitohuis, ifritas, and even poisonous frogs, don’t make the BTX themselves, but get it from beetles that they ingest. Chorisine beetles, tiny plant eaters, are thought to be the birds’ source of the toxin, but even the beetles probably just carry BTX, likely acquiring it from a plant that they eat. For all these species, having the toxin confers an advantage, making them unpalatable for predators and parasites alike

Kind regards,

The Traveler

SKA
#10 Posted : 4/26/2011 5:18:44 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Wow fascinating. It REALLY reminds me of the supposed to be Hallucinogenic Bird that the Mayas liked to eat.
If a bird can contain toxins, it sure can contain Hallucinogens as well.

These scientists say that the poisons found in these drugs are identical to those found in a certain frog.
I can imagine the existance of Bufotenine birds.

Cheeto
#11 Posted : 6/3/2011 7:53:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

azrael wrote:

i do believe both frogs and birds are reptiles, in that sence its not so shocking to me.
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

BlackSun
#12 Posted : 7/2/2011 6:27:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cheeto wrote:

i do believe both frogs and birds are reptiles, in that sence its not so shocking to me.

Birds and frogs are most certainly *not* reptiles.

Evolutionarily, amphibians (like frogs, toads, etc) evolved first, and reptiles evolved from them. Eventually, birds evolved from reptiles.

However, this happened hundreds of millions of years ago, so while they are technically related, there is quite a bit of variation between them.

This is actually pretty cool. But what is this about a hallucinogenic bird that the Maya ate? I've never heard of that before. This is certainly interesting to me.

ms_manic_minxx
#13 Posted : 7/2/2011 7:37:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, the answer seems pretty simple to me...

Don't try to eat/smoke/snuff/otherwise ingest or get high on poisonous birds. Pleased
Some things will come easy, some will be a test

christian
#14 Posted : 7/2/2011 8:46:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

azrael wrote:

-I've gotta agree with you 100% on that view, Azrael. Science has a knack of turning this wonderful, world around us into a collection of dull, tedious, drab words. Which usually tend to describe the analytical results of a particular moment alone, rather than the natural magical movement in general context.Wink

"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

Ice
#15 Posted : 7/2/2011 3:44:03 PM
silently awaiting

ms_manic_minxx wrote:
Well, the answer seems pretty simple to me...

Don't try to eat/smoke/snuff/otherwise ingest or get high on poisonous birds. Pleased

unless it is in the name of science...
We are...
We are like that sentence.
We are not finished.