We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
early universe starting as 1 dimension Options

Felnik
#1 Posted : 4/22/2011 3:20:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting concept . At some point in the article there is reference
To an emerging 4th dimension .

http://www.sciencedaily....2011/04/110420152059.htm
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

bransondude
#2 Posted : 4/23/2011 2:51:38 AM
DMT-Nexus member

the article suggests that high energy exists in fewer dimensions. This would seem to imply that as the universe spreads out and becomes less energetic, the number of dimensions increases. Especially on very large scales. But they don't describe the function of the extra dimensions. I wonder what a 4th dimension would "look" like to us or if it could be observed at all.

So, high energy means a single point, medium-high means a line, medium means shapes with depth. Whew, it's kind of mind bending to imagine what low energy systems would be like.

easyrider
#3 Posted : 4/23/2011 4:23:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

bransondude wrote:
the article suggests that high energy exists in fewer dimensions. This would seem to imply that as the universe spreads out and becomes less energetic, the number of dimensions increases. Especially on very large scales. But they don't describe the function of the extra dimensions. I wonder what a 4th dimension would "look" like to us or if it could be observed at all.

So, high energy means a single point, medium-high means a line, medium means shapes with depth. Whew, it's kind of mind bending to imagine what low energy systems would be like.

Maybe this video can help with imagining dimensions beyond the third. Even though I can hardly comprehend the dimensions after the fifth.

"'Most men will not swιm before they are able to.' Is not that witty? Naturally, they won't swιm! They are born for the solid earth, not for the water. And naturally they won't think. They are made for life, not for thought. Yes, and he who thinks, what's more, he who makes thought his business, he may go far in it, but he has bartered the solid earth for the water all the same, and one day he will drown."

— Hermann Hesse

actualfactual
#4 Posted : 6/15/2011 3:20:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cool video, thanks!

BlackSun
#5 Posted : 7/2/2011 6:36:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I am by no means an expert on the subject of theoretical physics, but isn't the fourth dimension time? If so, how could there only be one dimension in the beginning of the universe? I can understand if it implies that matter was so dense that it was basically just long strings that functionally only had one dimension, but given that it happened at a certain point in time, I cannot fathom it being less than four dimensions. From my (very) limited knowledge, I can only assume that an explosion like the big bang would spread out in a spherical shape, or at least something similar.

Still, interesting concept.

deedle-doo
#6 Posted : 7/2/2011 5:11:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe the first dimension was time. As this dimension expanded the spacial-extension dimensions emerged.

BlackSun
#7 Posted : 7/2/2011 7:21:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

deedle-doo wrote:
Maybe the first dimension was time. As this dimension expanded the spacial-extension dimensions emerged.

Hmm i suppose it's true that none of the dimensions are tied to any particular number, so the designation of time as the "fourth" dimension is perhaps irrelevant. Still, it's hard for me to imagine the universe as having nothing but time...it leaves quite a few questions unanswered, most obvious of all "where did matter and energy come from?", though I suppose the same question remains true for the more commonly accepted theories as well.

Interesting ideas Very happy

AlbertKLloyd
#8 Posted : 7/19/2011 3:05:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

the fourth is time/space