We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
is this safe?? Options

ChampionPuffa
#1 Posted : 4/21/2011 7:56:55 PM

lol.

ok so this doesnt sound like a great idea at first,
i need to evap off some of my bartoline low odour naptha but if i leave it out it literally takes weeks to go half down. i have tried a hairdryer on it and it worked out ok but still took a while, plus my misses was not impressed with me using her dryer for that.
i have a fan assisted electric oven that i can put the fan on with no or minimal heat setting, is it safe to put the naptha in their providing it doesnt get warm and just blows air from the fan. it seems to dry out other stuff really quickly so i kinda hoped i wouldnt be taking too big a risk evaping in the oven carefully ensuring i open it often to let out any vapours that may build up in there.
or should i just stick with using the hair dryer while me misses is out?
i can only find online about people using microwaves or ovens with heat etc which is obviously a bad idea. this would have practically no heat involved max temp would be about 35c
any advice is much appreciated.
PROHIBITION?? - just say NO!!

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 4/21/2011 8:33:56 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

If there is NO heat whatsoever, this might be ok. The issue with minimal heat is not the heat, but rather the the heating element; that is, the potential for sparks/current when you operate such a device to ignite your solvent. If you don't need to engage the heating mechanism in any way to use the fan, this should be fine, otherwise just get a small fan and use that. A computer fan hooked up to a 12 volt power supply works great, ime.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Rooftop
#3 Posted : 4/22/2011 12:16:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Seeing the words "naphta" and "oven" close together always makes me cringe... maybe you could borrow a simple fan from someone, if needed just tell them you spilled a jug of water on your matress and want to dry it quick. Fans, even without any heat, do the job quickly.
it's about making life a neverending experience of wonderfulness!

ChampionPuffa
#4 Posted : 4/22/2011 12:33:05 AM

lol.

ive got plenty of fans, big ones small ones, some as big as ya head. but they giving wind to me plants.
i may just use the hair dryer on lowest setting. just thinking if its best to evap down my solvent first as it doesnt seem too saturated at room temp.
the ovens has a seperate knob for the fan/grill/oven type an another for the temp you can have the temp turned off an fan assist on but yea il probably stick with a hair dryer as ive used that before no probs
PROHIBITION?? - just say NO!!

closet-chemist1010
#5 Posted : 4/23/2011 2:21:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I Cannot stress enough how much you should NOT put it in the oven, heat or no heat.

Electric motors generate sparks, hundreds of them per second, during normal operation. by putting the naphtha in your oven, you are allowing the fumes to build up in a confined space, to just the right density to cause an explosion.

An explosion in your oven while there is still a tray of naphtha inside...figure the rest out....

as for why your naphtha is evapping so slow.
you said it was low odour naptha? there is probably something in the naphtha to prevent it from evapping quickly, which causes odour. for your next extraction you should try using a different solvent or normal naphtha.

Mad Professor
#6 Posted : 4/23/2011 2:42:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Apart from danger, my freezer is pretty much useless now after freeze-precipping open containers of naphta... If a pizza is in there for 3 days now it smells & tastes like it! (Yes even in closed plastic!) So I figure that you will never get that naphta smell out of your oven anymore. So unless you really like the taste of it, don't do it!
Positive
Energy
Activates
Constant
Elevation

Orion
#7 Posted : 4/23/2011 3:10:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That stuff takes FOREVER! What I did was get a load of dishes and plates (a lot) and poured it all out into thin layers on each of them. Evaporated in 3 days, leaving behind a load of crap that needed a fair bit of recrystallizing.
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

bindu
#8 Posted : 4/23/2011 3:24:58 PM

road to happyness

large flat crystallizing dish
any (cool) fan
some mesh to protect dish from insects
open window or outside

blessed be all forms of intelligence