We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Phalaris phun Options

hummus
#1 Posted : 4/20/2011 2:50:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well seeing as the gates to mimosa are quickly swinging shut I thought I'd do a bit of work on phalaris. I'll try to update this thread as things go on ..
First came me talking with an ecologist friend of mine, basically it turns out that phalaris is a lot more common than I thought.
(This applies to the UK at least) You just want to go for a nice walk, some places to look that I've found it in:
Drainage ditches
Wetland nature reserves
wet woodland/pasture with streams running through it.
Basically it's a wetland grass so is often seen growing on riverbanks and areas that are consistently saturated with water, although in more alkaline soils not in peat bogs etc.
Quick ID:
Tall, stocky and pretty light coloured grass, you'll often see the previous year's dead stems sticking up a couple feet. The stems are round and hollow, at this time of year about 3mm across.
The grass forms thick rhizomes under the surface.
See:
For where it joins the stems, other grasses don't have those curly bits (ligules) go round as far.
At maturity:

Things to confuse with:
Bullrushes
One grass that looks similar has much more flat stems compared to the evenly round stems of p. arund.
Basically, any tall grass growing by a river is most likely p. arund.
Also see:
http://www.plant-identif...phalaris-arundinacea.htm
http://www.kingcounty.go...on/reed-canarygrass.aspx
Once you've identified it at first then it's pretty hard to miss, keep an eye out any time you go for a walk until you've found a big field of it.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

hummus
#2 Posted : 4/20/2011 2:55:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Next step, extraction.
My thoughts are, since there will likely be so little dmt in it yet it's so abundant the best thing to do would be to juice the grass using a standard wheatgrass juicer. While this could be a bit expensive, have a look on ebay for second hand juicers.
In theory: (I'll update this soon with experience+photos, this will be tried)
Camp overnight and juice all the grass on site, carry back a couple litres of phalaris juice.
extraction:
Extensive defat using vinegar/white spirit, basify then extract using a more volatile solvent such as naphtha, evaporating to lead to end results.
This probably won't lead to pure crystals or anything, but hopefully it should leave a pure enough extract to make into a moderate strength changa.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 4/20/2011 3:15:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good job thinking broad! Thanks for planning on sharing with the community Smile

If you have the chance/time/material, I would suggest already try a side-by-side extraction testing a couple of variables. Like for example normal naphtha extraction vs xylene-FASA or limonene-FASI, maybe salting already bypasses the necessity to defat.

Also I would try to freeze precip instead of just evap, and recrystallize if necessary.

Good luck and let us know!!

hummus
#4 Posted : 4/20/2011 3:33:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Now if I can just find my damn camera ..
Anyway it seems to transplant pretty easily as long as you get some rhizomes in, it just needs to be kept constantly damp really. Going to get a wheatgrass juicer and go from there.

Jorkest
#5 Posted : 4/20/2011 11:32:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

yea ive done extractions on phalaris..and juiced the grass with a wheatgrass juicer..then basified..then extracted with dlimo...

and im going to try something...gramine is slightly soluble in acetone and not soluble in water...so what im gonna do is put the freebased matterial in cold acetone...the dmt should absorb easily...but the gramine not so much...then put it in a very cold freezer..and hopefully the gramine will precipitate....the next step if just plain acetone does work..is to add some water..the water will mix with the acetone...also reducing the solubility of the gramine

which will hopefully precip....i think i have some old grass i might try this willl...phalaris is just starting to grow around here..so maybe ill try some new young blades for starters
it's a sound