We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Practical Breathing Exercises Options

bransondude
#1 Posted : 4/9/2011 7:32:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

These are just some notes on some breathing methods I've been practicing at.

The Exaggerated Inhale is a breathing method that strongly emphasizes the inhale while keeping the lungs as filled as possible. The exhale happens as a consequence of having the lungs filled past normal capacity. I fill my lungs with air until my muscles cannot draw in any more air. At that point, I allow a small measure of relaxation, the pressure pushes out excess air (no conscious use of the body to exhale takes place). Only a small amount of air leaves, the lungs are NOT emptied. Then, a sharp inhale to continue the process.

This seems to oxygenate the blood very well. I use it while running to avoid chest discomfort, and it shortens the time it takes my heart rate and breath rate to return to their resting rates. It feels energetic.

Exaggerated Exhale is just the opposite of course. I forcibly exhale completely and to get air in I simply relax. This relaxation lets my body expand, drawing in air. I haven't done much with this one, it seems to increase blood pressure or something. It definitely isn't a state I'd want to exercise in. This however does seem to increase sexual pleasure, and can trigger orgasm during sex.

Exaggerated Balanced Breathing is of course to go back and forth from one to the other. Exhale entirely, your lungs should be emptied, your body hunched over a little to squeeze out more air. Then inhale completely until your muscles cannot draw in more air. Back and forth, slowly. An advanced thing to try is to force small "sips" of air into the lungs on the climax of the inhale. This expands the lungs beyond normal. Be very gentle when releasing this! Holding at the climax of inhale or exhale is another variable to play with. As is the rate it takes you to breath or exhale. I usually go for slow, even breaths, pausing for about three seconds at the climax. Holding too long at the exhale will cause you to begin to black out.

These are muscular exercises and they dramatically alter your O2 and CO2 levels. Using the advanced Balanced Breath I often start to notice myself drifting towards a blackout.

The exaggerated inhale greatly improves exercise tolerance, but I've noticed a set of back muscles getting very sore after a run. These muscles I think are rotating my chest upward/open much like in yoga postures. It's improved my posture while running because I have to make such room for the air I'm carrying around. It's very different from what people normally do while running, which is a form of exaggerated exhale or a shallow balanced breathing. The bad breathing negatively affects posture and energy levels for me.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.