We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
How to remove NMT from extractions Options

Dr_Sister
#1 Posted : 4/6/2011 3:35:56 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

With MHRB getting scarce in some parts of the planet it looks as though some nexians will be looking to acacia as possible source. One drawback being NMT impurities.

Sister just came across a paper she would like to share with you (US patent 3131221 see attachment). It has a facile method for removing primary and secondary amines from a mixture containing tertiary amines. When a solution containing a mixture of amines is treated with CO2 a carbamate is formed with both primary and secondary amines that will form a precipitate that can be filtered off (possibly requiring refrigeration).

FYI - DMT is a tertiary amine, NMT is a secondary amine, so the NMT will precipitate as a the carbamate leaving the dmt in solution, which can then be recovered by distilling or evaporating your solvent.

CO2 can be generated by dripping vinegar onto baking soda, there are several ways a CO2 generator could be made in the ghetto using pop bottles and tubing.

P.S. Shulgin (god love him!) used acetic anhydride to do the same thing. CO2 is a lot safer to work with and otc to boot.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

acolon_5
#2 Posted : 4/6/2011 4:26:56 PM

The Great Namah

Excellent find!
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 4/6/2011 4:27:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for this post!

NMT has a xlogp between that of n-oxide and dmt's... I wonder if it could potentially be separated by a few successive recrystalizations or heptane/naphtha washes?

soulfood
#4 Posted : 4/6/2011 4:38:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

Have we already established that NMT is an undesirable?

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 4/6/2011 5:08:59 PM

The Great Namah

soulfood wrote:
Have we already established that NMT is an undesirable?

We have not to my knowledge.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

endlessness
#6 Posted : 4/6/2011 5:43:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shulgin's chapter about NMT in TIHKAL doesnt help much either...

But considering nmt is present in several other plants including our dear mimosa (though in different ratios), I would guess its not very toxic at least... Maybe even completely inactive? But then we have to consider if it may compete for binding in the receptors when its administered together with DMT, or maybe synergize with it, etc.

Seraph
#7 Posted : 4/6/2011 7:12:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Is the ghetto you're referring to everywhere that is outside of a chemistry lab? Smile The NMT could be converted into DMT by methylation. What would happen if you reacted NMT with Dimethyl Sulfate?

NMT + Dimethyl Sulfate -> ?

Aegle
#8 Posted : 4/6/2011 8:46:34 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Dr Sister

Wow what an awesome find...

Much Peace and Kindness
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

Dr_Sister
#9 Posted : 4/6/2011 9:33:25 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

Glad you are all able to appreciate this proceedure!Very happy

Seraph wrote:
Is the ghetto you're referring to everywhere that is outside of a chemistry lab? Smile

or anywhere where lab glass is not available

Seraph wrote:
The NMT could be converted into DMT by methylation. What would happen if you reacted NMT with Dimethyl Sulfate?

NMT could definitely be methylated to form DMT, however DMS would not be Sisters first choice of methylating agent, its nasty nasty stuff to work with. (Especially in the ghetto, where there are no fume hoods!) There is one method that Sister is aware of that uses otc and the relatively non-toxic chemicals, zinc powder and formaldehyde. Paraformaldehyde is available as an otc anti-mildew product and can be depolymerized to formaldehyde by treating with an aqueous base. Zinc powder can be made with a file and a chunk of zinc from an sacraficial anode. Sister doubts NMT is very soluble in H20, but thinks an alcohol could also be used as the solvent. It is in other zinc catalyzed reductions.

Sister has attached a PDF of the paper, apparently the work up is a little messy, but it works.

Reductive methylation of primary and secondary amines and amino acids by aqueous formaldehyde and zinc
Renato A. da Silva,a Ida´lia H. S. Estevamb and Lothar W. Biebera,*
Abstract—Amines can be methylated when treated with formaldehyde and zinc in aqueous medium. Selective mono- or dimethylation
can be achieved by proper choice of pH, stoichiometry and reaction time. This method can also be applied for amino acids.

There are several other methylation proceedures, but they are beyond the scope of what the rules allow us to discuss here and use reagents that are more difficult to acquire.

Dr_Sister
#10 Posted : 4/6/2011 9:49:50 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

endlessness wrote:
NMT has a xlogp between that of n-oxide and dmt's... I wonder if it could potentially be separated by a few successive recrystalizations or heptane/naphtha washes?

or possibly by fractional crystalization, but one would need very good temperature control and lots of patience. Sister would expect the oxide to crystalize first, followed by the DMT then NMT last. Going from the largest molecule to the smallest. But not 100% sure.

Garfield
#11 Posted : 4/6/2011 10:06:19 PM
Sascha

Hi Sister, excuse me Dr. Sister Wink

what do you mean by otc?
“Coincidences are what are left over after you've applied a bad theory.” P.W. Bridgman

Dr_Sister
#12 Posted : 4/6/2011 10:11:42 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Garfield wrote:
what do you mean by otc?

OTC means that it is available Over The CounterWink or easy to purchase without an account at a chemical distributor

Garfield
#13 Posted : 4/6/2011 10:29:25 PM
Sascha

Dr_Sister wrote:
Garfield wrote:
what do you mean by otc?

OTC means that it is available Over The CounterWink or easy to purchase without an account at a chemical distributor

Muchas Gracias!
Sorry my knowledge about english acronyms is still in the process of growing.Rolling eyes Very happy
“Coincidences are what are left over after you've applied a bad theory.” P.W. Bridgman

Phlux-
#14 Posted : 4/7/2011 2:45:36 PM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Thanks sister - nice post
#9 was extremely informative.
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

LandOfOz
#15 Posted : 4/9/2011 4:10:31 AM

Oz

iirc i read that it was undesirable. somethign about physiological effects and no mental effects. was long ago..

SnozzleBerry
#16 Posted : 4/9/2011 3:38:03 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

LandOfOz wrote:
iirc i read that it was undesirable. somethign about physiological effects and no mental effects. was long ago..

source? link? anything at all?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

LandOfOz
#17 Posted : 4/9/2011 5:24:18 PM

Oz

nope :\

wiki:
Orally administered NMT appears to produce no psychoactive biologically effects, likely as a result of extensive first-pass metabolism.[citation needed] However, it may become active upon combination with a MAOA inhibitor (MAOI).

shulgin says 50-100 smoked gave fleeting visual for a minute time period. if there are any effects my guess is there is far far too much mao activity. maybe one or several of us should isolate it and vaporize it while on a huge dose of sublingual maoi.

we can look to NET and AMT so similarities shared by primary tryptamines tho i am not aware of what pharmacological effects/characteristics are tied to them(similar to many 5meos sharing a degree of effects.

perhaps the nmt could be used as a route to amt, tho i fear this is prolly parallels the making mdma from meth. just waaay more work than its worth.

Seraph
#18 Posted : 4/9/2011 5:32:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LandOfOz wrote:
nope :\

wiki:
Orally administered NMT appears to produce no psychoactive biologically effects, likely as a result of extensive first-pass metabolism.[citation needed] However, it may become active upon combination with a MAOA inhibitor (MAOI).

shulgin says 50-100 smoked gave fleeting visual for a minute time period. if there are any effects my guess is there is far far too much mao activity. maybe one or several of us should isolate it and vaporize it while on a huge dose of sublingual maoi.

we can look to NET and AMT so similarities shared by primary tryptamines tho i am not aware of what pharmacological effects/characteristics are tied to them(similar to many 5meos sharing a degree of effects.

perhaps the nmt could be used as a route to amt, tho i fear this is prolly parallels the making mdma from meth. just waaay more work than its worth.

You do know that NMT can be turned into DMT, don't you? You could turn NMT into AMT if you really want though.

LandOfOz
#19 Posted : 4/9/2011 5:35:30 PM

Oz

you could turn a turd into dmt too. doesnt mean it is practical.

conversion of nmt to dmt, unless you had bags of nmt, would be a waste of time imho since dmt source is so cheap.

Mydriasis
#20 Posted : 4/9/2011 8:49:17 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Seraph wrote:
Is the ghetto you're referring to everywhere that is outside of a chemistry lab? Smile The NMT could be converted into DMT by methylation. What would happen if you reacted NMT with Dimethyl Sulfate?

Seraph I hope in your dream you do understand exactly how dangerous of a compound DMS is. I also hope that if this dream were to be actualized one would have very nice long gloves, an adequate fume-hood, and a thorough understanding as well as hands on experience with methylating reagents. You might not die, but you very well could get cancer, and you well still could die. Not to mention the risk of exposure to innocent by standards, perhaps the person who finds you, or the fish in the nearby stream.

Would DMS perform another N-Methylation? I am not sure about it, I don't think so, but I'm not very knowledgeable in OChem. Check known similar reaction mechanisms? Either way, Is it really worth the risk, the extra cost of preparing it/purifying it after isolating NMT? Compared to say, ordering more root bark? Last I checked it was 70$ a kg, which if you do the math, is a far more apropriate means to acquire dmt imo...

It's cool to be thinking outside of the box though Smile.
It's been fun. Thanks for all the wisdom.

12NEXT