We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PLEASE HELP SAVE THE GRAND CANYON Options

Phantastica
#1 Posted : 3/29/2011 8:35:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i received the following email from Avaaz.org
Please sign a quick message HERE; it will only take a couple seconds. Thank You<3Very happy

Quote:

Dear friends across the U.S.,

The Grand Canyon is threatened by a huge wave of uranium mining -- and the deadline for public comment is in six days. Lets flood the consultation with messages and tell the federal government to save the Grand Canyon. -- Submit a comment today and send this to everyone:

Sign a message!
The Grand Canyon, one of America's greatest treasures, is threatened by a huge wave of Uranium mining -- and the deadline for public comment is in six days.

For two years, a hard-won moratorium on mining has protected the Canyon, but the ban is now set to expire. If the federal government doesn't renew it, a "Uranium Rush" of mining would permanently scar the face of this unique and priceless land, devastate local communities, and endanger water supplies for millions who live nearby.

Lobbyists are right now pushing the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to open the floodgates for mines, but a 20 year ban is on the table. A public outcry helped secure the embargo last time and if enough of us raise the alarm again we could ensure the Canyon is mine free -- this time for decades. The deadline for public comment is April 4th -- Let’s flood the public consultation with messages to save the Grand Canyon! Send a comment now, and tell everyone to do the same:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/..._in_the_grand_canyon/?vl

During the Bush years, Uranium prices soared -- and the mining industry rushed to stake mining claims on the federal land where the Grand Canyon sits. Over 1,100 mining claims have already been filed within 5 miles of the Grand Canyon. To mine uranium, companies rip up huge tracts of land to extract radioactive material -- before processing it for use in weapons and nuclear power plants.

The sheer destruction of the mines led the Havasupai Indians, who live in the canyon itself, and all tribal governments in northern Arizona to ban uranium mining on all their lands. Such opposition, paired with widespread public pressure, helped persuade the Obama administration to put in place the temporary ban shortly after it took office.

But now the mining moratorium his running out -- Uranium extraction is more lucrative than ever, and the pressure coming from the powerful mining lobby is intense. Only a massive wave of national pressure can keep the Grand Canyon off-limits to destructive uranium mining. Let's make the public's voice impossible to ignore -- send a message here:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/..._in_the_grand_canyon/?vl

America's national park system is one of our greatest progressive legacies. But it's always been a battle to protect it -- with lobbyists for private profiteering building strength. This week, one of the most beloved icons of our natural heritage is on the line. Let's unite around a vision of our nation that preserves its beauty for our children, their children, and all the generations to come.

With hope,

Ben, Brianna, Iain, Mia, Heather, Ricken, and the whole Avaaz team

More information

The New York Times: The Grand Canyon Uranium Rush
http://www.nytimes.com/2...3/08/opinion/08tue4.html

Treehugger: Uranium “Yellow Monster” Threatens Grand Canyon
http://www.treehugger.co...reatens-grand-canyon.php

Uranium Mining 101
http://earthworksaction....blications.cfm?pubID=501

Report:Grand Canyon Threatened by Approval of Uranium Mining Activities
http://www.ewg.org/reports/grandcanyon

<3

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

MelCat
#2 Posted : 3/29/2011 8:39:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Signed!
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Steely
#3 Posted : 3/30/2011 2:04:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Signed and sent to friends/family.
Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha

Once
#4 Posted : 3/30/2011 2:58:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for posting this. The canyon is a beautiful and magical place. I hope that we can keep it as pristine as it is today.
All statements made by Once have no basis in reality, if reality even exists.

SKA
#5 Posted : 3/31/2011 12:39:50 AM
DMT-Nexus member

signed! My sister has travelled through the grand canyon with her boyfriend and loved it. I'm sure she will sign it as well as her boyfriend.
I'll get as many people as I can to sign it too!

jamie
#6 Posted : 3/31/2011 1:13:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I would sign if I was american, but alas I am canadian..
Anyone who has been there would definatily understand why this is something that needs to be stopped..once you are there in person there isn't really anything else like it. I will never forget the place.
Long live the unwoke.

Phantastica
#7 Posted : 3/31/2011 4:28:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

fractal enchantment wrote:
I would sign if I was american, but alas I am canadian..
Anyone who has been there would definatily understand why this is something that needs to be stopped..once you are there in person there isn't really anything else like it. I will never forget the place.

Anyone can sign. In the "Country" option, u can just select "Canada."Very happy
<3

Ljosalfar
#8 Posted : 3/31/2011 7:10:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Uranium mining - ugh,
Signed - hope it helps.
L
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard P. Feynman

maxzar100
#9 Posted : 3/31/2011 8:53:17 AM

Earth Child

I reside near the grand canyon; it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and I for one will not let this occur. I am going to spread the word through out the University; I am sure my forestry professors will help out as well....
The events that maxzar100 describes are only hypothetical, and never actually took place. maxzar100 has no link whatsoever to any illegal substance.

Quote:
Salvia, the metamorphosis of reality. -Mz

TheFly
#10 Posted : 4/1/2011 7:04:08 AM

The Fly

Signed! I've never been and by the time i have enough money i want to be able to see it in its natraul state
Existence is an illusion of an experience with states of minds and functions of memory to entice you that it is in fact real.

Phantastica
#11 Posted : 4/1/2011 8:42:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

maxzar100 wrote:
I reside near the grand canyon; it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and I for one will not let this occur. I am going to spread the word through out the University; I am sure my forestry professors will help out as well....

spreading the word throughout the University would def help max if u reside near the Canyons. Its so pathetic that these greedy bastards will stop at nothing to fill their pockets even if it means the death of our lovely planet. I'm sure forestry professors at you're university will also be a great help in raising awareness regarding this issue. Thank you for taking this initiative<3
<3

Steely
#12 Posted : 4/1/2011 9:39:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Avaaz Uranium Mining Petition wrote:
UPDATE: Due to the overwhelming public response, the Bureau of Land Management has extended the public consultation period through May! Send your comment today and tell everyone you know.

We've been granted some leniency to collect more votes.

There are a few things anyone can do to easily spread awareness over this issue. Posting links in media outlets (despite what their target audience may be) is a good start. I've been posting comments on the most viewed CNN and Fox News articles recently. But that is just one example of reaching out to a broader range of people. I'll be researching into my college to see if I might be able to make some kind public post to students.
Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha

Aegle
#13 Posted : 4/1/2011 3:50:10 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Phantastica

Signed, Avaaz do some amazing work... Thank you ever so much for sharing this. <3

Much Peace and Sunshine
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

acolon_5
#14 Posted : 4/1/2011 4:21:03 PM

The Great Namah

Signed and distributed.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Bancopuma
#15 Posted : 4/8/2011 2:54:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Not cool! Signed.