We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Lye canada Options

lewinii
#1 Posted : 3/21/2011 4:44:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

was recently very happy to read about lye availability at local home hardware stores. but furthermore research leads me to believe that this is not 100% lye. this thread states that HH lye is 95-100% https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=1674 after finding HH lye MDMS sheet on their website it was confirmed, although it dont list what the other 0-5% is.

http://msds.homehardware...ile.asp?s=133558&v=2

for canadians using this lye be advised. is it safe to use.

thank you, you beautiful handed people you.
"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

napp
#2 Posted : 3/21/2011 7:23:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I recently purchased some from soapandmore.com. I thought it would be ok but after seeing your thread I checked my MSDS. For the lye that I purchased the ingredient is listed at 99%, though the MSDS does not list any other ingredients. The ingredient name (I think the same may apply for HH lye) lists the ingredient as Sodium Hydoxide - NaOH (95-99%), again however the ingredient is listed at 99% in another column. I think further clarification on what lye is acceptable to use would be beneficial. I have not used the lye that I purchased.

Here are some other online sources to purchase lye. However, bearing in mind that further confirmation on acceptable lye would be a good idea before purchasing.

http://candleandsoap.abo...pmaking/a/lyesources.htm

Ice House
#3 Posted : 3/21/2011 10:37:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

Food grade lye is- 95-100% Sodium Hydroxide and <3% Sodium Carbonate or so says the MSDS that came with the NAOH the SWIM recently received.

FOOD GRADE NAOH MSDS
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Metanoia
#4 Posted : 3/22/2011 5:23:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was wondering, as I also don't really trust the sources of lye I've been able to find in Canada, if I could simply make my own?

Calcium hydroxide + sodium carbonate = sodium hydroxide? Am I wrong?

lewinii
#5 Posted : 3/22/2011 9:26:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HH Lye = 99.3% NaOH

this is perfect then, right..?
"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

nEDYAh
#6 Posted : 3/22/2011 9:31:38 PM

Hayden

I have been using lye bought from Home Hardware as Privy Cleaner, I will post a pic of it on here soon. It seems to be pure, it has been working fine atleast.
" I remember the very, very first time I smoked DMT."

DMT, 1200 Micrograms

Metanoia
#7 Posted : 3/23/2011 12:06:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

We don't have a home hardware in my town, but I'll have to check that out. I just want to make sure I'm getting relatively pure lye.

napp
#8 Posted : 3/26/2011 2:14:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lewinii wrote:
HH Lye = 99.3% NaOH

this is perfect then, right..?

You are A-Ok. The only foodgrade lye MSDS ive seen is classified over 99%. The MSDS listed on that site is not for foodgrade - just for the regular stuff. The foodgrade MSDS link just has a certificate with a signature.

Again, an expert opinion would be nice.