We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Solubility of Psilocybin/Psilocin in Water? (Lemon Tek) Options

Swarupa
#1 Posted : 3/15/2011 11:16:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone any info on how soluble psilocybin & psilocin are in room temp/cold water, and whether the PH of the water affects it?

I recently soaked some powdered mushrooms in pure lemon juice overnight in the fridge, i then filtered out the mushroom pulp through an empty tea bag, and then froze the lemon juice into ice cubes. They work great but they taste way too much of lemon. Next time i'm looking to dilute them with water but still keep as much lemon as necessary to lower the PH enough to convert psilocybin to psilocin.

I also heard psilocin is less soluble in water compared to psilocybin, i'm wondering if the water is PH adjusted with lemon whether the psilocin will be more soluble in the water?

Maybe a good tek would be to make tea, boil it down to desired level, add lemon while it's cooling, then freeze into ice cubes. I like the idea of not using heat at all though and just using water & lemon. I found the lemon ice cubes to be the purest experience i've had on mushrooms, although that is ignoring the strong/repeating lemon taste.

I'm sure you can get an idea of what i'm trying to do here, some advice would be much appreciated. Smile

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 3/15/2011 11:22:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Remember first place to check is the Nexus Wiki.

In an acidic solution, your psilocybin will anyways turn to psilocin. Merck says psilocin is only very slightly soluble in water but with a dilute acid things could change and I cant find any info about specific solubility. What I do know is that, experientially, a lot of people have very good results with the lemon shroom tek, so it seems good 'enough' at least. Personally I would do at least a second lemon soak (or boil) instead of just one, and maybe bioassay that second one separately, to see if more alkaloids come out or if one is enough.

I think you should add the lemon/vitamin c before boiling/soaking to help avoiding oxidation of psilocin

good luck

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 3/15/2011 11:34:45 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

The merck solubility data for psilocin refer to the freebase. Psilocin salt will be fairly water-soluble as is.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Swarupa
#4 Posted : 3/15/2011 11:57:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks guys, next time i'll hold onto the shroom pulp & do another lemon juice soak to see if any actives were left in there.

Nice to know the Psilocin salt should migrate into the lemon juice/water easily, i was worried about some of it possibly staying bound to the mushroom pulp if it was not so soluble in the water.

alzabo
#5 Posted : 3/19/2011 1:22:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I tried something similar with 3x2min cooks on 3 grams of powdered cyans. The temperature was brought up to a light roil then immediately reduced till the bubbling stopped. I used a splash of phosphoric acid and scoop of piracetam in apple juice as my solvent. Just enough solvent to cover the ground mushies in a very small pan was used.
After pressing out the liquid, the mushies were consumed with absolutely no effect.
About a week later, the brew was drunk with all the effect I would have expected from eating 3g of cyans. The brew had been stored at room temperature.
Later, I made another brew with a similar method but used lemon juice instead of phophoric acid. This reduced on low heat in a crock pot until only an ooze remained.
A couple weeks later this ooze was scraped up and eaten. It was way too sour but definitely effective.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Not Sure
#6 Posted : 3/25/2011 5:40:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Would heating the water destroy any of the active compounds?
“Psychedelics are like square roots. They can take you from a place you know, to a place you never imagined could have existed”

Shrabbit420
#7 Posted : 3/25/2011 7:18:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a fantastic idea. I might try this in the near future.

Why not just unfreeze the lemon cube and add water plus sugar to make some lemonade? If its too sour/tart why not just add more water after it is unfrozen or about to be used? Drinking more water to thin out the taste doesn't seem like it would be a bad thing to do.
“Surrender is inner acceptance of what is without any reservations. If you have lived long enough, you will know that things “go wrong” quite often. It is precisely at those times that surrender needs to be practiced if you want to eliminate pain and sorrow from your life.”

Eckhart Tolle