We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Death of a Giant - RIP Bear Options

Pandora
#1 Posted : 3/13/2011 8:48:19 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Augustus Owsley Stanley, underground acid pioneer, is dead due to a car crash.

Thanks for being a legend in your own time and for indirectly helping me to grasp the true meaning of my signature below. RIP.

http://www.shroomery.org...flat.php/Number/14114363

http://arts.nationalpost...anley-dies-in-australia/

If this is a duplicate post, please feel free to delete.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Madcap
#2 Posted : 3/13/2011 10:59:15 PM

illudium Q-36

Owe him a few thank you's as well.
Shocked
All posts written by Madcap should be regarded as fiction.

cker
#3 Posted : 3/14/2011 12:36:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The Dead's Phil Lesh had this to say about Owsley:

A Beautiful Mind

I received a text in the middle of last night that Bear Stanley has died in a car accident in Australia. Bear, for me, was a true kindred spirit; when we first met, it was as if I had met a long-lost brother from another lifetime. I am heartbroken and devastated at his passing.

He was a friend, a brother, an inspiration, and our patron at the very beginning of our creative lives. We owe him more than what can be counted or added up- his was a mind that refused to accept limits, and he reinforced in us that striving for the infinite, the refusal to accept the status quo, that has informed so much of our work.

He never gave up his quest for pushing the limits of whatever he was working on. We had just been discussing his concept of point-source sound reinforcement in relation to a new project of mine, and his vision incorporated the latest developments in technology and perceptual research.

My heart goes out to his family, for whom he had such love and pride- his wife Sheilah, his children, grand-children, and great-grandchildren- who have lost their patriarch.

A mind like Bear’s appears very rarely, and it’s been my privilege and honor to have known and loved two such minds- Jerry and Bear. I always laugh when I think about what Jerry once said about Bear: There’s nothing wrong with Bear that several billion fewer brain cells wouldn't fix.

I am eternally grateful for all of the gifts that Bear brought to the scene and to the music.
Fare you well; I love you more than words can tell.

- Phil

Ellis D'Empty
#4 Posted : 3/14/2011 1:37:32 AM

Snirfneblin

I'll definitely be having a ceremony with some friends this weekend... sad day today Sad
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

Not Sure
#5 Posted : 3/14/2011 5:01:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Happy trails Bear.

One of my Bufo's we call Godzilla, but we decided to give him the proper name of Owsley and let his nick name be Godzilla.
“Psychedelics are like square roots. They can take you from a place you know, to a place you never imagined could have existed”

Shaolin
#6 Posted : 3/14/2011 10:34:12 AM

Stiletto Stoner

Interview about drugs, nutrition, global warming,...

Some stuff he wrote

Some "quotes"

“I wound up doing time for something I should have been rewarded for. What I did was a community service, the way I look at it"

"Listen man, I'm not cooking meth or selling whores, I need this for my LSD lab"

"Any time the music on the radio starts to sound like rubbish, it's time to take some LSD"

Fuck.

Peace.

Thanks.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

DiMiTree
#7 Posted : 3/23/2011 3:04:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Owen "Bear" Stanley is a well known hero in the psychedelic community, his knowledge, insight, kindness and personality was thoroughly appreciated by most he met.
Without Augustus Owsley Stanley III, the Grateful Dead might not have had their famous Bear logo, nor many of their counterculture drugs. Stanley was killed on Sunday-week in a car accident.

His car swerved off the highway and hit a number of trees in the northern Queensland town of Mareeba, Australia, killing him and injuring his wife Sheilah.
Stanley, had worked with a number of artists as their personal chemist, occasional sound engineer and in the case of The Dead, their financial backer.

In his honor, here is an audioclip of his last public appearance at the Australian Psychedelic symposium, Entheogensis Australis 2009.
Episode 1 - Bear (Owsley) Stanley ‘Reflections’ - Speaking openly about his life, LSD, DMT and politics

R.I.P Owsley "Bear" Stanley - a humble champion of psychedelics, in his own words "I just had a lot of fun, I dont think ever really did much of anything"

Blessings,
DiMiStop