We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Posting Etiquette, Post Structure, and Swimmers Options

acolon_5
#1 Posted : 8/20/2008 1:26:09 PM

The Great Namah

Quote:
El Ka Bong Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:16:14 AM

I get the urge to play editor ...

... aren't we all past 'SWIM'-ing ..? .. the word starts to get 'heavy' after awhile, no ?... all that hyperlinked-text, doesn't that 'slow' the forum server down, or something..? (jk ..! jk .. !)

oh .. and leaving spaces can help the read, and can sort one's ideas ... I tend to skim through blocks of text ... but it's just me, I know .. I know ...

El Ka Bong brings up some good points here.

Can we get past using SWIM? I understand that some forum demand that this be used as a type of sidesteping the posting of illegal activites, and I am not asking anyone to incriminate themselves, but can we stop using this stilly acronym? You can use a friend, a pet, a fictional person, but this SWIM thing really mucks up threads.

Also as El Ka Bong pointed out many of the posts fail to use paragraphs. I'm not the best at grammer or spelling, but seperating your thoughts into paragraphs makes reading your posts ALOT easier. I tend to skip over massive blocks of sentances as well. It is just a little too hard to read/follow. IT IS SIMILAR TO WRITING A POST IN ALL CAPS...IT MAKES READING THE POST A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT!!!

So please, as a personal favor if people posting here could:

A) find a different way of not incriminating themselves if that is how they wish to post.
B) organize their thoughts into paragraphs so that others are able to follow what the poster is trying to say

I and many others would greatly appreciate it.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

adrian89987
#2 Posted : 8/20/2008 1:38:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Agreed, swim isn't fooling anybody anyway.

benzyme
#3 Posted : 8/20/2008 3:01:06 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

how about "confucious say.." ?

heh
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

acolon_5
#4 Posted : 8/20/2008 4:22:33 PM

The Great Namah

benzyme wrote:
how about "confucious say.." ?

heh

confucious say, extraction is going very bad!!! Massive emulsions, spice will not preciptate out? 10grams mimosa 200L naphtha! All very confusing for confucious!

Yeah, that would work...plus its funny. SWIM, not funny.
The Spice extends life
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

burnt
#5 Posted : 8/20/2008 4:28:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

i always thought SWIM meant someone who isn't not me. i could say someone who is not me in all posts because often i am making up most of what i say or just relaying information i hear from people. however my mother told me that if people on this website are doing illegal things i shouldn't surf here. so as long as we are all just joking about what we are talking about or making it up or just telling stories then me not someone who is not me can continue posting here.

anyway a simple way to make conversation easy is to just start a post by saying this is what someone else told me or something similar. i often talk about dreams i have stuff like that.

acolon_5
#6 Posted : 8/20/2008 5:05:59 PM

The Great Namah

burnt wrote:
i always thought SWIM meant someone who isn't not me. i could say someone who is not me in all posts because often i am making up most of what i say or just relaying information i hear from people. however my mother told me that if people on this website are doing illegal things i shouldn't surf here. so as long as we are all just joking about what we are talking about or making it up or just telling stories then me not someone who is not me can continue posting here.

anyway a simple way to make conversation easy is to just start a post by saying this is what someone else told me or something similar. i often talk about dreams i have stuff like that.

It is 100% understandable to talk about other people on this forum. I mean honestly who out there is mixing up chemicals and bark in their kitchen??? not me for sure, that's just silly... It is just that using SWIM over and over in posts seems to muck up posts a tad.

One can always have a disclaimer as their signature stating that all posts are for fun and humor only and have no relevance to the real world or something of that nature.

I personally would not suggest disobeying your mother burnt, but no one on here is seriously doing anything illegal... It is all for entertainment, just like the horoscopes in the paper!

People can still use SWIM, no one will be penalized for using it, it was just a request to find other means of reducing personal liability for fictitious posts that could be construed as illegal activities by unscrupulous law enforcement who are looking for promotion and have nothing better to do with tax dollars than track down forum posters.
The Spice extends life

WSaged
#7 Posted : 8/20/2008 7:17:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Also as El Ka Bong pointed out many of the posts fail to use paragraphs. I'm not the best at grammer or spelling, but seperating your thoughts into paragraphs makes reading your posts ALOT easier. I tend to skip over massive blocks of sentances as well. It is just a little too hard to read/follow. IT IS SIMILAR TO WRITING A POST IN ALL CAPS...IT MAKES READING THE POST A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT!!!

I am so happy that someone finally said something about this!!

I don't know about anyone else but when there is a total lack of punctuation, paragraphs or sentence structure in general, I usually skip over the post!! It's much to hard to understand!!
I am definitely guilty of writing some posts that go on way to long, but the one big block of words that has no commas or periods is just impossible to read. No matter how long or short it is.

I only speak fore myself here, but I have a hard time staying interested throughout an entire post that reads like a third grader's stream-of-consciousness.
Come on!! We are all supposed to be adults here!! Right?

I try to write like I'm having a conversation with someone else, not just thinking to myself, seems to work.
...I thinkLaughing

Thanks for bringing this up!!

BTW, another thing that I feel needs mentioning, sense we're talking about posting grammar & sentence structure, etc...
Is using the "quote" button when you are including a part of a post written by someone else!!

If you look up at the top of the window when you are writing a post, there are message controls up there for "editing" the grammar of your post.
The "Quote" button is the fourth button in from the left, next to the big "U" (for underline) button.
You just select the text you want to be "quoted", then hit the button.
It will look like this when posted:
Quote:
This is what using the "quote" button looks like!!

Some folks are guilty of not using any paragraphs, or grammar and putting quotes from other posts in the middle of their block of words!! It's nearly impossible to figure out what has been written by the poster and what is supposed to be a quote!!
I imagine, like myself, most people don't bother attempting to decipher what is trying to be said and just move on to the next post.
Right?

Good topic!!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

acolon_5
#8 Posted : 8/20/2008 7:45:38 PM

The Great Namah

warrensaged,

You signature is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier. Simple and to the point. The writtings you post are fictional.

I'm glad some people agree with me. I was hoping not to come across as sounding whiney.

Yes, the quote thing is important. I do understand that it takes some getting used to. My earlier posts never used the quote function...now it is an invaluable tool. It really does make responding to a single post more readable.

I love this forum, but it frustrates me when I can't get through a post that seems like it has some good info in it simply because of a lack of punctuation.

I was hoping that at some point we could get a spell check function for our posts...because my spelling is pretty attrocious and I sometimes don't have the time to cut and paste to word, spell check, and then cut and paste it back to the post box.

The Spice extends life

69ron
#9 Posted : 8/20/2008 9:55:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm So GlAd No OnE WrItEs LiKe ThIs On ThIs FoRuM. ThAt DrIvEs Me NuTs!

I think the single most annoying thing is when people write one gigantic paragraph that is a whole page long. I don't even bother to read such posts because it bothers by eyes.

As far as using SWIM goes, I think most people have a habit of it from all the other forums out there that require it. I hated it at first, but I actually got banned from one forum because I didn’t post using SWIM. I was posting about someone else using a completely legal drug and I got banned because I posted the story in first person. Even though it wasn’t about me, it was about someone else, and the drug was completely legal, I still got banned for not using SWIM. Sometimes I play devils advocate and post things in first person just to make my point clearer. But after getting banned from doing so, I now always post using SWIM no matter what.

I post at many different forums and I don’t always remember all the different rules for each forum so I just do what most of them require and most require that you post using SWIM or something similar.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

WSaged
#10 Posted : 8/20/2008 11:23:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I'm glad some people agree with me. I was hoping not to come across as sounding whiney.

Not at all!!

It needed to be said!! I just hope the culprits notice this thread and read it.

Thanks Again!!

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dwhitty76
#11 Posted : 8/21/2008 4:25:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's been brought to my attention that i have been blocking post's or threads due to my run on sentences and never ending streams of thought.

I wanted to take a sec to apoligize to the group if i caused any inconvenience or simply annoyance.
Had i read this thread before i started posting,i might have been more conscious.

One last thing,can someone enlighten me on how to quote just a specific part of someone else's post.What happens is that i'll highlight the sentence i want to quote and then hit the quote tab and it ends up quoting the whole post.I end up having to delete the unwanted words and then it doesnt look like a quote,you know when its boxed in.I feel like an idiot and have stopped quoting people.Rolling eyes
Anyway,i apoligize to all for blocking threads and will improve my run on sentences.Smile
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

acolon_5
#12 Posted : 8/21/2008 4:49:45 AM

The Great Namah

Dwhitty76 wrote:
One last thing,can someone enlighten me on how to quote just a specific part of someone else's post.What happens is that i'll highlight the sentence i want to quote and then hit the quote tab and it ends up quoting the whole post.I end up having to delete the unwanted words and then it doesnt look like a quote,you know when its boxed in.I feel like an idiot and have stopped quoting people.Rolling eyes
Anyway,i apoligize to all for blocking threads and will improve my run on sentences.Smile

I just sent you a PM on using the quote button.
The Spice extends life

burnt
#13 Posted : 8/21/2008 12:35:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Yea cool we should improve our grammer and yeah calling everything SWIM is kind of a pain in the ass. I'll make some kinda quote thingy to make my lies and make up stories easier to read Smile

Dwhitty76
#14 Posted : 8/21/2008 6:24:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Obviously my grammer isn't the best but i will work on it.The only reason i was accepted into college was because it was a fine arts school and apparently they didnt care about my grammer Laughing

As far a swim goes,although the term is silly atleast we all know what it means.I've heard of people getting kicked off of other forums for not using the term.This forum has been so helpful to me "and swim" ,the last thing i want is to get kicked off this forum for doing or not doing something thats so insignificant.

By the way,who here lies? No need for lies. Smile
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

magic clown
#15 Posted : 8/21/2008 8:02:48 PM

aka Slap Stick Sam

If people were to read all my posts, I think they would be in total aggreament that the Magic Clown is pretty well incriminated up to his eye balls.
I am a clown, nothing I say can be taken seriously. It is my profesion to talk nonsense

Dwhitty76
#16 Posted : 8/21/2008 10:05:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hell,
I dont need to read all your posts.I can see just by looking at majic clowns eyes that he's not walking the straight and narrow,but what clown does? Laughing

DMTripper
#17 Posted : 8/21/2008 11:16:13 PM

John Murdoch IV

SWIM doesn't bother me. I just don't need to use it because I don't exist.
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Dwhitty76
#18 Posted : 8/21/2008 11:30:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thats kinda the way i feel

acolon_5
#19 Posted : 8/22/2008 11:37:39 AM

The Great Namah

Dwhitty76 wrote:
This forum has been so helpful to me "and swim" ,the last thing i want is to get kicked off this forum for doing or not doing something thats so insignificant.

To the best of my knowledge no one is getting kicked off of this forum for bad grammar (guilty Confused ), punctuation, or the use or non-use of "SWIM". It was just a friendly suggestion...that's all.

The Spice extends life

MR.shroom
#20 Posted : 8/22/2008 1:14:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

magic clown wrote:
If people were to read all my posts, I think they would be in total aggreament that the Magic Clown is pretty well incriminated up to his eye balls.

hahahah aren't we all , i mean it is quite obvious , swim doesn't fool anyone but even the names and terms
sometimes used here can incriminate anyone.....
just look at mine "mr.shroom", to be honest it is my real name
so what can i do about it ?
...... nothing, except laugh when people don't believe me , so yes use different words and meanings
to describe whatever you are talking about
, but in the end ,
if swim is as guilty has a it can be , why don't
we lock up the forum so no-one can google it up
, or only allow to see the forum thru sign in , so anyone coming from outside can't see "zit" of what's going on inside
, in other forums i am in ,
you can google it up ,
but when you press the link it redirects you to the sign in page ,
so no free-bies unless you sign up ,
and to even that it would be best to only allow certain forums depending on your post rank ,
and if they actually count has posts .
i could go on forever describing security possibilities .

the point is , if you want security , just keep it quiet don't say a word or write anything
or...
go to the mountains and connect your dsl cable in your mind and communicate telepathically

the net is not safe , it was never been and it will never be .
(words of a hacker)(me)(lol)

123NEXT»