We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heat Evap... less yields? Options

Saltydawg
#1 Posted : 3/5/2011 10:28:45 AM

pppfff

Hey peeps

SWIM wants to know if heating the DMT laden naptha will mean less yields. SWIMs rational brain says it doesnt matter, but SWIM wants to be sure. (oh and dont worry about explotions, SWIMs being smart about it)
I am a saltydawg using my master's computer posting fictional posts for another saltydawg that lives in a different country.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

endlessness
#2 Posted : 3/5/2011 11:05:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

DMT wont dissapear/break down with a bit of heat, so in terms of weight, total yield should be the same either way. The only thing that can happen is if you use heat to speed up evap, it might interfere with crystallization and part of your product be oily and not crystallize well.. This could theoretically be some dmt n-oxide forming, which is still psychoactive but it is an oil, so you could have a mixture of n-oxide and dmt.

Another possibility why the oil might happen is just trapped solvent together with your product that prevents dmt from properly crystallizing (I think this is what usually happens). In my experience if you insist on scraping/rescrapping and letting dry, it will eventually dry to a waxier consistency. Also you can always recrystallize to make it into nicer crystals again, just redissolve in minimal amount of warm naphtha and freeze.

Why dont you freeze precipitate though? If you just use a little heat/fan to pre-evap and then freeze, you should be fine and will still get crystals.

ChampionPuffa
#3 Posted : 3/5/2011 2:08:20 PM

lol.

i have used my misses hair dryer usually on the coldest setting but i do put it up to the first heat setting so its just a light warm air blowing on it. if the naptha is lighter stuff then it takes only 1-2 hours for it to evap off assuming youve freeze precip'd and have poured off most the naptha. it doesnt seem to do the dmt any harm as long as its not too warm.
defo easier to freeze precip first, i dont usually need to evap off any before hand, well i havnt done yet. but i evap off some afterwards the refreeze to ensure its all crashed out.
PROHIBITION?? - just say NO!!

Rooftop
#4 Posted : 3/5/2011 9:33:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It really depends how much you mean to heat it.

I know someone who, in his early extraction days, tried to evaporate the naphta with a boiling hot water bath (outside on an electric plate), thinking "Hell, simmered the mimosa with water and vinegar, so why not simmer up that naphta to speed things up?".

Even thought that sweet DMT smell rising from the pots was a sure sign of a big yield coming! Laughing Of course, in the end, not much at all to scrape up!

In fact, air movement is your best friend for evaporating faster.

And +1 for freeze precipitation!

it's about making life a neverending experience of wonderfulness!

actualfactual
#5 Posted : 3/5/2011 10:04:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
DMT wont dissapear/break down with a bit of heat, so in terms of weight, total yield should be the same either way. The only thing that can happen is if you use heat to speed up evap, it might interfere with crystallization and part of your product be oily and not crystallize well..

this.

dmt isn't going to disappear from the solution because you choose to evaporate a certain way..