We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
a/b precipitation smell question Options

hexan
#1 Posted : 3/2/2011 3:25:57 PM

The Great Gatsby

Hi Folks.

My question.

Can the odor of Naphtha be contained during the final precipitation phase of Q21 tek 2 ?

If i stink out my whole freezer I have a strong premonition I will not be popular at home.

Thanks

H
Hexan is a fictional character.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

FiorSirtheoir
#2 Posted : 3/2/2011 3:40:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Put a lid on it. The evaporation of Naphtha is going to slow down significantly @ sub 0 F temperatures. Just place it in a short wide mouth jar and put the lid on it if you are concerned.
The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.

d*l*b
#3 Posted : 3/2/2011 5:17:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would say a lid is essential, it will not only stop your food and freezer getting contaminated by naphtha, but also stop water getting in and ice crystals forming.
D × V × F > R

hexan
#4 Posted : 3/2/2011 6:52:13 PM

The Great Gatsby

d*l*b wrote:
I would say a lid is essential, it will not only stop your food and freezer getting contaminated by naphtha, but also stop water getting in and ice crystals forming.

cool. I will cling film the top tightly following by silver foil then a glass lid.

I cannot have a Naphtha stinky freezer or I will get beheaded : 0

hexan
#5 Posted : 3/2/2011 8:56:39 PM

The Great Gatsby

FiorSirtheoir wrote:
Put a lid on it. The evaporation of Naphtha is going to slow down significantly @ sub 0 F temperatures. Just place it in a short wide mouth jar and put the lid on it if you are concerned.

wont a narrow jar stop snow globbing?

I was planning on puring through a coffee filter, i suppose if I do that I can evap in any container?

what you think ?

H

d*l*b
#6 Posted : 3/2/2011 10:36:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hexan wrote:

I was planning on puring through a coffee filter, i suppose if I do that I can evap in any container?
H

I generally use wide mouth jars with a rubber gasket, like can be seen here:
http://www.alibaba.com/p...ith_rubber_seal_and.html

It’s easy to get your hand in the wider ones to get the spice and they have a good seal.

Generally the crystals will cling to the sides and the bottom and sides of the jar. I’ve not used a coffee filter in a long time, it’s been quite rare that I’ve needed one, but may be good to have them on hand just in case.
D × V × F > R

hexan
#7 Posted : 3/3/2011 9:47:22 AM

The Great Gatsby

d*l*b wrote:
hexan wrote:

H

I generally use wide mouth jars with a rubber gasket, like can be seen here:
http://www.alibaba.com/p...ith_rubber_seal_and.html

It’s easy to get your hand in the wider ones to get the spice and they have a good seal.

Generally the crystals will cling to the sides and the bottom and sides of the jar. I’ve not used a coffee filter in a long time, it’s been quite rare that I’ve needed one, but may be good to have them on hand just in case.

thanks for that, I have one of these kicking about, will use it.

regarding the final crystalisation.
After i pour the Naphtha off will there be any moisture left on the crystals?
when I scrape and return to room temp will they become soggy?
Will i need to refreeze them a 2nd time to get 100% dry crystals?

H

d*l*b
#8 Posted : 3/3/2011 2:59:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

When I pull the container out of the freezer I pour the solvent into another container quickly (if any of your product does end up coming out you can retrieve it from there or simply add back into your next pull).

I have a plate ready and having removed the lid and the metal part attaching it (you want to do this fairly quick to stop condensation forming too much) I place it upside down on the plate. Every so often I tip the plate/jar slightly to get solvent to drip down the sides and onto the plate.

Once there is no more condensation on the outside of the jar I put it on it’s side and leave to evap (I usually use a fan to speed this up). Once there is no more solvent smell it will be ready to scrape up, there may still be some solvent left in it so leave on a plate or something for a while longer and it should be ready.

Unless there are oils or other contaminants in your product it should not be soggy.

An extra little tip– I keep the metal part on the bottom of the jar attached, once the jar has got to room temperature (no more condensation) I flip the handle part underneath the jar so it sits at a slight angle, this way not so much solvent will collect at the bottom of the jar and there won’t be so much need to tip it.
D × V × F > R

hexan
#9 Posted : 3/3/2011 5:31:38 PM

The Great Gatsby

d*l*b wrote:
When I pull the container out of the freezer I pour the solvent into another container quickly (if any of your product does end up coming out you can retrieve it from there or simply add back into your next pull).

I have a plate ready and having removed the lid and the metal part attaching it (you want to do this fairly quick to stop condensation forming too much) I place it upside down on the plate. Every so often I tip the plate/jar slightly to get solvent to drip down the sides and onto the plate.

Once there is no more condensation on the outside of the jar I put it on it’s side and leave to evap (I usually use a fan to speed this up). Once there is no more solvent smell it will be ready to scrape up, there may still be some solvent left in it so elave on a plate or something for a while longer and it should be ready.

Unless there are oils or other contaminants in your product it should not be soggy.

An extra little tip– I keep the metal part on the bottom of the jar attached, once the jar has got to room temperature (no more condensation) I flip the handle part underneath the jar so it sits at a slight angle, this way not so much solvent will collect at the bottom of the jar and there won’t be so much need to tip it.

thanks for the tips. Looking forward to getting started. Will report SWIMs findings of course : )