We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Australia proposes ban on 1000s of plants including national flower Options

actualfactual
#1 Posted : 2/28/2011 12:21:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Legislation being proposed in Australia would criminalize most permaculturists, farmers, gardeners, nurseries and bush regenerators by banning any plant that contains DMT – a naturally-occurring hallucinogen. Five plants are currently criminalized, but the new list will include hundreds (possibly thousands) of other species that are common garden plants and include a significant number of common native plants including the national flower, the wattle. [Image: Australia's National Flower, Acacia pycnantha]

Having any of these plants could get you charged with and convicted of a federal drugs violation. The list can be found here, comprising about four pages of the 41-page document.

Garden Freedom is leading a campaign to block the legislation. The public is urged to contact the Minister for Justice, the Hon Brendan O’Connor MP with comments at Criminal.Law@ag.gov.au by March 11. (See instructions here).

The purpose of this new legislation is supposedly to stop major drug trafficking, yet many of the targeted plants have never been traded for drugs and have no value as drug plants, because they only contain traces of the compounds.

The proposed laws will make hundreds or possibly thousands of plants illegal. Many of these are common garden plants that honest, law abiding citizens have legally grown for as long as they remember. The laws will affect the commercial propagators, nurseries, farmers, collectors, botanic gardens, seed merchants, landcare groups and most gardeners.

* Farmers may need to change their pasture grasses and legumes.
* Gardeners, collectors, and botanic gardens will have to remove precious plants from their collections.
* Landcare and dunecare groups may no longer work with the species they are used to and that are native to their region.
* Nurseries may no longer propagate many of the plants they normally propagate.
* Botanists may no longer collect samples from many plants.
* Seedbanks will need to destroy many of their precious seeds.

DMT (dimethyltryptamine) is ubiquitous in nature and is likely to be present in thousands of species. If DMT is found in one species within a genus then it is likely to be found in other species of that genus. Some common plants include grasses, wattles, peas, nutmeg, screwpines, buckwheat, citrus trees, and violets. Also included are legumes, the Leopard tree, Honey Locust, wisteria and cattle forage plants like Desmodium, wetland plants such as the Common Rush (Phragmites), and common pasture grasses (Phalaris spp) — even the ice plants in your Granny’s rock garden would be effected by the legislation.

The existing schedule of criminalized plants include:

1. Any plant of the genus Cannabis
2. Enhanced cultivation of any plant of the genus Cannabis
3. Any plant of the genus Erythroxylum from which cocaine can be extracted [...] incl E.coca & E.nova-granatense
4. Papaver bracteatum
5. Papaver somniferum
6. All fungi that contain PSILOCIN
7. All fungi that contain PSILOCYBIN

The proposed new schedule will include:

8. Any plant containing MESCALINE including any plant of the genus Lophophora
9. Any plant containing DMT including any plant of the species Piptadenia Peregrine
10. Salvia divinorum (Diviners Sage)
11. Mitragyna speciosa (Kratom)
12. Catha edulis (Khat)
13. Any species of the genus Ephedra which contains ephedrine
14. Any species of the genus Brugmansia
15. Any species of the genus Datura.

http://foodfreedom.wordp...2/australia-bans-nature/

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

gibran2
#2 Posted : 2/28/2011 3:23:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

I read through the PDF and it made me wonder about how legislators spend their time: Do they sit around thinking “Hmm…How can we change our laws to make more of our citizens criminals? And can we change our sentencing guidelines to keep people in prison for a long, long time?”

I watched “Manifesting the Mind” a few weeks ago, and Dennis McKenna said that if all plants were tested for traces of DMT, it’s very likely that all of them would test positive – ALL plants contain at least traces of DMT.

So does Australia plan on making all plant life illegal? We live in a very sick world.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

The_Shaman
#3 Posted : 2/28/2011 3:34:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

WTH is happening in Australia? Maybe I have my facts wrong, but wasnt that country founded by released convicts? where that sense of freedom now! I have traveled S.E Asia many times and would meet many Aussies on my travels, Good ppl who love to party, I couldnt even keep up with them , and forget about drinking an Aussie under the table! well, anyway ,best of luck my brothers and sister down under, your forefathers are rolling over in their graves at this madness!
Obviously everything the Shaman says is Hyperspace Hyperbole

Lodi
#4 Posted : 2/28/2011 3:58:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The_Shaman wrote:
WTH is happening in Australia? Maybe I have my facts wrong, but wasnt that country founded by released convicts? where that sense of freedom now! I have traveled S.E Asia many times and would meet many Aussies on my travels, Good ppl who love to party, I couldnt even keep up with them , and forget about drinking an Aussie under the table! well, anyway ,best of luck my brothers and sister down under, your forefathers are rolling over in their graves at this madness!

Australia was not exactly founded by released convicts, but rather it was used for a prison. The English would send any Irish or Scottish person caught stealing, training to fight, talking back to English soldiers, etc etc. To what the was then called "von demons land" to spend the rest of their lives. Well needless to say all those people who were WRONGFULLY accused and convicted for petty crimes by the English iron fist they had, and still have over Ireland and Scotland today, formed what we now know as the great country of Australia.

Most of the people sent to von demons land were not murderers and what I would exactly call bad people.. They were mainly a people who only wanted freedom in their country so they were sent away, and started freedom in another land..

England still taxes northern Ireland and all of Scotland. Robert Emmet was an Irish rebel who fought hard to gain Irelands freedom, and when finally captured by the English, he was hung in public in the middle of Dublin, before he was hung he yelled out "My epitaph shall remain plain! My grave only to say my name! Until Ireland is free!". His grave still remains plain because of the tyranny the English still have over Ireland today... Just because I am American does not mean America is off the hook, They have done just as much bad in the 300 years they have been around that the english have done in 3000.

Sorry, I know I got off topic, but my homeland is important to me, and I will forever have a hard spot in my heart for England, and the rest of my heart shall remain free for Ireland.

Much peace and love, good luck all you Aussies out there! It would be rather unfortunate to have the ban made.

Everything I say is fictional, I do not support illegal drug use of any kind, SWIM is a fictional character.

Dorge
#5 Posted : 2/28/2011 5:03:54 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

Looks like you guys might have to do somthing about this .
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Steely
#6 Posted : 2/28/2011 5:54:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There is an issue with trying to ban plants that we have come across here in the states: you can't. At least you can try, but trying to ban something that can grow naturally in the backyards of the citizens whom this law has an effect on will prove to be an impossible task.

This, just like all similar laws, will only prove effective in further aggravating those effected.

Dorge wrote:

And hopefully soon. Something like this could easily make its way to the U.S..
Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha

joedirt
#7 Posted : 2/28/2011 5:56:56 PM

Not I

Dorge wrote:

Let them outlaw them all...then let them figure out how in the world they will enforce those stupid laws?

Jesus Christ is humanity taking a turn for the stupider?

I think the powers that be are scared of a second generation psychedelic revolution taking place. What they don't realize is said revolution is thoroughly underway.

40 years ago the world at large had 3 psychs. Mescaline, psilocybin, and LSD. Today because of prohibition countless numbers of psychs are available to just about anyone with an interest in science. Combined with advances in drug deliver methods such as CHANGA and you really start to realize that the world governments really can't do anything to stop this movement.

Have they learned nothing from cannabis? If they make all these plants illegal it's only a matter of time until someone has bread a super strain of DMT containing grass. DUH!.

Drug laws as they currently exist are just flat out evil.

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

joedirt
#8 Posted : 2/28/2011 6:11:44 PM

Not I

Actually can you even imagine what it will be like if people start breeding strains for DMT concentration?

Unlike cannabis where potency is largely subjective for the average consumer, DMT amounts can be directly determined from the extraction process. I suspect that if these plants are pushed into hiding we will see very rapid increases in plant potencies as people start the mad race of growing and breeding their own DMT containing plants.

Not only that, but if they start openly fighting DMT containing plants it's going to put them squarely into the conscious mind of the public at large. The more people that know about DMT the more people will be interested in doing DMT.

What I'm curious about is how can governments by so naive?

If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

polytrip
#9 Posted : 2/28/2011 7:06:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
I don't believe this legislation will pass. Most australians generally, are quite attached to their environment. I could imagine that harvesting these plants would become illegal for the sake of protecting the natural environment, just like killing koala's is illegal. But having these plants growing in your garden...Wildlife protection is almost a sacred term in australia and banning plants is like the complete opposite of that.

Dorge
#10 Posted : 2/28/2011 8:35:40 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

Breading for tryptamines is the future...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

CosmicFool
#11 Posted : 3/1/2011 7:31:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Somehow I have a hard time believing that this law would be taken to action. I mean, do police have the time to become florists? If there are potentially THOUSANDS of plants that contain DMT and they're all made illegal, do the cops have time to study EVERY plant so that they'll know which plants are illegal and so on?
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

Johnny_Anyseed
#12 Posted : 3/1/2011 7:39:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You might want this thread moved to CEL. It seems everyday we are losing more and more rights. Basic human rights. Isn't it obvious to everyone that making something illegal, just makes it more dangerous?
Take these posts with a grain of salt, or more if it's bland.

Steely
#13 Posted : 3/1/2011 8:22:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

CosmicFool wrote:
Somehow I have a hard time believing that this law would be taken to action. I mean, do police have the time to become florists? If there are potentially THOUSANDS of plants that contain DMT and they're all made illegal, do the cops have time to study EVERY plant so that they'll know which plants are illegal and so on?

Or they could just commission a few florists Razz
Do not listen to anything, "Steely" says. He is a made up character that his owner likes to role play with. His owner is very delusional and everything he says is completely untrue and ridiculous.
Hate is the choice of a clouded mind.
-"It takes humility to remember who we are"-
"There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it." - Buddha

Infinite I
#14 Posted : 3/1/2011 12:33:21 PM

JC

Lodi wrote:
[quote=The_Shaman]

England still taxes northern Ireland and all of Scotland. Robert Emmet was an Irish rebel who fought hard to gain Irelands freedom, and when finally captured by the English, he was hung in public in the middle of Dublin, before he was hung he yelled out "My epitaph shall remain plain! My grave only to say my name! Until Ireland is free!". His grave still remains plain because of the tyranny the English still have over Ireland today...

We live under one state known as the United Kingdom, Scotland has its own parliament though fat lot of good thats done its just created more beauracracy as far as im concerned, they might be scottish but their just more politicians. I dont know what tyrrany you speak of in northern Ireland? their is a peace process as roughly 50% of the population dont want a united Ireland, and id say 95% of the northern Irish are a lot happier than they were without peace and terrorists like the IRA UVF etc bombing innocent people. I mean a free Ireland as you put it is never going to happen and taking up arms is hardly going to help things to make it free is it? The american support for the IRA dried up after 9/11, terrorism isnt cool these days. Think your looking through rose-tinted spectacles mate, im from the west coast of scotland and see the problems this nonsense causes. Seen this the other day, mainly republicans talking about the whole thing http://www.talkceltic.ne...-republicans-repost.html

anyhoo big apologies for derailing had to be said lol

MojoPin
#15 Posted : 5/19/2011 3:29:05 PM

James

This is for all the Australians on the forum and for anyone else who is interested.

http://foodfreedom.wordp...2/australia-bans-nature/

My girl friend directed me to this link today ^

"Legislation being proposed in Australia would criminalize most permaculturists, farmers, gardeners, nurseries and bush regenerators by banning any plant that contains DMT – a naturally-occurring hallucinogen"

This is utterly rediculous. I don't think it will pass, its too retarded, trying to ban over 1000 plants one of which is a bit of a national icon.

Mojo
Locked up inside you, like the calm beneath castles, is a cavern of treasures no one has been to.

MojoPin is a fictional character and therefore all activity he is associated with should be treated as fiction.

Bebs
#16 Posted : 5/19/2011 3:53:38 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Both Psychonauts and their gardening elderly Grandmas
getting behind the same hand-painted banners of protest!
Not sure I see the Government winning this one, hehe suckers.
Bebses Dendrite Blog of Consciousness
attempting to connect myself with our (GREATER SELF)

christian
#17 Posted : 5/19/2011 9:13:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

God, it's sad isn't it!!... the Australian government really sucks-to even consider banning their national plant, what fools!!Stop
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

joedirt
#18 Posted : 5/19/2011 9:22:40 PM

Not I

christian wrote:
God, it's sad isn't it!!... the Australian government really sucks-to even consider banning their national plant, what fools!!Stop

What sucks even worse is the sheer amount of wasted Australian tax payer dollars that will be spent trying to enforce the unenforceable.

If DMT ever really catches on and goes mainstream it will be game set match for the drug war. There is simply no way what-so-ever that they will be able to keep people from breeding more and more potent strains of various DMT containing plants... I guess the powers that be haven't learned anything from marijuana prohibition. Most of us have access to very high quality pot these day's when once upon a time it was a special treat to run into dang nugs...

But yeah it is truly sad that we live in world so fucked up that some group of people actually believe they have the power and authority to block other humans from using plants. LOL It's my right as a citizen of this planet to use what plants I see fit as long as I respect the plant and the environment...I don't need no stinking laws to define my morality!

smokerx
#19 Posted : 5/19/2011 10:01:31 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

so much inteligence in Australian government , and people still go to vote them like blooming sheeps.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

The Traveler
#20 Posted : 5/19/2011 10:08:37 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

I merged this thread with the already existing one...

Kind regards,

The Traveler

12NEXT