We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Misuse of Drugs Act 1971: Codeine is Class B Options

Entheojen
#1 Posted : 2/23/2011 1:32:56 AM
DMT-Nexus member

The UK Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 lists codeine as a Class B drug.

Solpadeine Plus and other over the counter painkillers contain codeine.

How can selling codeine containing products to the public be legal? I don't see any clauses or exemptions for codeine in the Part 2 Controlled Drugs section or elsewhere although I haven't got through the whole thing yet.

Obviously big pharma can apply for licences to produce such drugs, but even at that, the consumer would then be in possession of a Class B drug.

The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Entheojen
#2 Posted : 2/24/2011 8:31:40 AM
DMT-Nexus member

An extract abstract from the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971

======

PART II
CLASS B DRUGS

1. The following substances and products, namely:โ€”
[...]
Codeine
[...]

2. Any stereoisomeric form of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 of this Part of this Schedule.
3. Any salt of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 or 2 of this Part of this Schedule.
4. Any preparation or other product containing a substance or product for the time being specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 3 of this Part of this Schedule, not being a preparation falling within paragraph 6 of Part I of this Schedule.

======

Solpadeine Plus (to use one brand as an example) contains 8mg Codeine Phosphate Hemihydrate. For any of the chemists here, would that 'version' of Codeine still fall under Class B?
The trees spoke to me through the wind. The more I listened, the more they spoke.

proto-pax
#3 Posted : 2/24/2011 3:43:49 PM

bird-brain

Entheojen wrote:

3. Any salt of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 or 2 of this Part of this Schedule.

Solpadeine Plus (to use one brand as an example) contains 8mg Codeine Phosphate Hemihydrate. For any of the chemists here, would that 'version' of Codeine still fall under Class B?

If the part of your post that starts with number 3 lists an exception to the rules, then the misuse of drug act says that salt forms of codeine are legal to posses, and that means codeine phosphate (or acetate or any other myriad of salt forms) is legal.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Entheojen
#4 Posted : 2/24/2011 7:20:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

No, all these paragraphs (1-4) are definitions of a class b drug. So it must be class B then alright!

Edit: But from further research on the hypertron, it would appear that it is legal in quantities of 12.5mg or lower in combination with other drugs such as paracetemol. This is from various unofficial sources online. You think it would mention that in the actual Act.