We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Extracting harmalas from Passionflower Incrnata Options

Dreamwalker
#1 Posted : 2/22/2011 11:25:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Sometime in the near future SWIM plans to do a little experiment and brew up an ounce of Passionflower in an attempt to extract the harmalas from it.

He has done the whole 10x caapi soak method a couple times before with decent results.

He's Also had great results doing Gilbran2's Caapi vine extraction as well.

SWIM isn't necessarily well versed in chemistry but has no problems following directions.
Since there doesn't seem to be anything he can find online about extracting from passionflower he was just going to take some of what he's learned wing it with this one.

Of course if any fellow Nexians may be able to provide a few tips that could help the experiment become a success it will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

MelCat
#2 Posted : 2/22/2011 11:49:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd be interested to see the results of gibrans caapi extraction on passionflower. I'd imagine you'd have to use at least a kilo of pf to really get any worthwhile yields.

Instead of trying to extract the alks from pf, I just soak it in alcohol for a month and evap the menstrum onto some 10x caapi. Definitely adds it's own unique flavor to the mix.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Dreamwalker
#3 Posted : 2/23/2011 12:05:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
I'd be interested to see the results of gibrans caapi extraction on passionflower. I'd imagine you'd have to use at least a kilo of pf to really get any worthwhile yields.

Instead of trying to extract the alks from pf, I just soak it in alcohol for a month and evap the menstrum onto some 10x caapi. Definitely adds it's own unique flavor to the mix.

Yes, I realize an ounce isn't really much to work with but its all that is around at the moment.

Even if the experiment yielded only enough for a dose added to some changa it would be interesting to see the results.

I've though about soaking it as well. I'm confident this should work but really want to find a quick and more efficient method that I'm sure will get all the goodies out.

Just something SWIM wanted to try in his spare time on a small scale to see if brewing it up would work as well as it did with the caapi vine.

MelCat
#4 Posted : 2/23/2011 12:25:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's definitely worth a shot. If you decide to try it, please report back.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Dreamwalker
#5 Posted : 2/23/2011 12:44:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Melodic Catastrophe wrote:
If you decide to try it, please report back.

Oh yes, it will be done for sure.

The curiosity, time and Passionflower are all there so... may as well right?

loadet
#6 Posted : 5/2/2016 10:47:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Not sure what im gettig. Flavenoids perhaps but extract has a good result. 1g off 20g flowers.
loadet attached the following image(s):
FB_IMG_1461191598633.jpg (2,074kb) downloaded 60 time(s).
20160418_133533.jpg (1,465kb) downloaded 60 time(s).

Ulim
#7 Posted : 5/4/2016 12:58:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I often consume passiflora tea and just played around with it a little bit and have made a wierd extraction.
I dropped the passiflora into a mix about 25%ethanol ,25%acetone ,50%hotvinegar(25%)(The shitton of vinegar has a use)
I let it soak in that for a day (For some reason it foams a little bit dont know if thats from added NaHCO3 to make any CaCO3 percipitate out of the water or if that the passiflora itself)
I let it evaporate and you end up with a really sticky but runny dark red/brown resin.

Now smell it if it smells like vinegar you can be sure that there is some acetone and ethanol still left in it.
Add warm water to redissolve let it evaporate repeat until no more vinegar can be smelled. Then wash 2 times more.
The result probably contains all active ingredients and can be dissolved to be processed further.
Dont forget to freeze the passiflora if you use fresh one to break up all the cells.