We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Hypnotism to recall lost memory/DMT blackouts? Options

Dreamwalker
#1 Posted : 2/20/2011 10:01:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm sure there must be a lot of people out there who have found themselves in a similar situation as SWIM.

Maybe you didn't weigh the dose, or perhaps it hit you harder than it normally would for any number of reasons.

Has anyone else just "woke up" holding the pipe like....what the hell? Was I smoking.. Huh? Having no recall of the experience?

Or, all of a sudden after smoking coming back into consciousness laughing hysterically and realizing you have no idea what it is your laughing about...and having no recall of it?!

Or is it just SWIM?

I wonder if the brain blocks certain experiences because it's just too much for us to handle?
Anyone else think Hypnosis may be beneficial or damaging when used to explore lost memories of the DMT experience?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Not Sure
#2 Posted : 2/21/2011 2:30:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I have not had that experience but I am very interested in the idea of recalling the experience by hypnosis.
“Psychedelics are like square roots. They can take you from a place you know, to a place you never imagined could have existed”

bluntmuffin
#3 Posted : 2/21/2011 1:08:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think you'll find that hypnosis creates more memories than it uncovers.

Dreamwalker
#4 Posted : 2/21/2011 2:08:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yikes! So this type of phenomenon has only happened to SWIM?

Surely there have to be others who have experienced a "blackout" before.

If not a complete blackout I know that there are times many people seem to forget a lot about the experience soon afterwards.

I think being hypnotized to recall what you forgot is an interesting idea.

gibran2
#5 Posted : 2/21/2011 2:48:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Dreamwalker wrote:
Yikes! So this type of phenomenon has only happened to SWIM?

Surely there have to be others who have experienced a "blackout" before.

If not a complete blackout I know that there are times many people seem to forget a lot about the experience soon afterwards.

I think being hypnotized to recall what you forgot is an interesting idea.

Yes, I’ve had blackouts several times, as have many others. Mine were maybe not quite as severe as yours, but blackouts nonetheless. I was left with a vague sense that “something” happened, but didn’t have a clue as to what.

It’s anybody’s guess if hypnosis would help with recall in such circumstances, but I tend to doubt it.

The solution to blackouts isn’t hypnosis – it’s adjusting your dose to avoid them. A blackout (for me) is the result of too high a dose. “More is better” is rarely true for DMT once you’ve reached a breakthrough dose.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Dreamwalker
#6 Posted : 2/21/2011 3:13:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:

The solution to blackouts isn’t hypnosis – it’s adjusting your dose to avoid them. A blackout (for me) is the result of too high a dose. “More is better” is rarely true for DMT once you’ve reached a breakthrough dose.

I agree with you there. The few times this happened the dose wasn't measured.

If something did in fact happen I would think hypnosis may actually help one recall it.

Supposedly the brain imprints everything that happens to an individual.

In certain cases hypnosis is the only way people can recall events that have left them traumatized where they blacked out.

On a side note Gilbral2... SWIM just followed your caapi vine extraction TEK recently with amazing results!

Great work, Thanks!

Elf Machine
#7 Posted : 2/21/2011 9:14:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I haven't necessarily blacked out but most of my trips I have trouble recalling. I think hypnotism would be a an excellent experiment to consider. Are there any experienced hypnotists out there who would know more about this?

Saltydawg
#8 Posted : 2/21/2011 10:02:35 PM

pppfff

Recall of a trip under a hypnosis would be interesting. It would be interesting to know how the subconscious interprets the trip.
I am a saltydawg using my master's computer posting fictional posts for another saltydawg that lives in a different country.

۩
#9 Posted : 2/21/2011 11:34:17 PM

Simply do more DMT

seven7seven
#10 Posted : 2/21/2011 11:39:41 PM

Stewie

۩ wrote:
Simply do more DMT

yes, yes!!!

SMOALK MOAR

I find that if I enter into an experience similar to one I have forgotten, I immediately recognize the place and the memories flood back into me.

I've even made contact with beings (the greys) that have been recording my trips. They showed me the collection one time, and I could look through all my previous trips (even the forgotten ones!!!)!!

Dreamwalker
#11 Posted : 2/21/2011 11:48:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
Simply do more DMT

Not a bad suggestion! Laughing

Maybe Hypnosis isn't necessarily the answer.
I still think it would make an interesting study though! Not even for lost or forgotten memories either.

We're long overdue for updated studies on DMT.
I've never heard of a hypnosis study done on participants undergoing a DMT experience before.

Just a thought!

Not Sure
#12 Posted : 2/24/2011 7:18:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Dreamwalker wrote:

We're long overdue for updated studies on DMT.
I've never heard of a hypnosis study done on participants undergoing a DMT experience before.

Just a thought!

And what a wonderful idea it is indeed! Calling all up and coming Strassman's.....

In the book tryptamine palace, James Oroc had a black out from 5-meo-dmt because he did a very large does. So it isnt uncommon nor specific to DMT.

When I asked my doctor about blackouts from alcohol I was told that when too much stress is put onto a certain area of the body the rest of the body goes into basic functions as to put extra effort in helping the area that is over stressed.

Not sure if its related to this but just a thought.

“Psychedelics are like square roots. They can take you from a place you know, to a place you never imagined could have existed”

Dreamwalker
#13 Posted : 2/24/2011 8:51:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not Sure wrote:

And what a wonderful idea it is indeed! Calling all up and coming Strassman's.....

In the book tryptamine palace, James Oroc had a black out from 5-meo-dmt because he did a very large does. So it isnt uncommon nor specific to DMT.

When I asked my doctor about blackouts from alcohol I was told that when too much stress is put onto a certain area of the body the rest of the body goes into basic functions as to put extra effort in helping the area that is over stressed.

Yes, There have been a few times when SWIM didn't weigh the dose and Im sure thats what caused the blackouts. DMT is a very powerful substance and it doesn't take much to over do it and cause enough stress to trigger one.

When your drunk enough you may not remember anything that happened to you either due to high stress levels. If your with people though, I'm sure they will tell you that something did in fact happen. Maybe you were acting like a drunken fool but You just cant remember. Its not that nothing happened just because you blacked out.

On a couple occasions SWIM came back to consciousness after smoking to find himself laughing hysterically! It was really hard for him to compose himself for at least 5 minutes. He was laughing so hard he had to try and make himself stop just so he could catch his breath!

So what happened that was so funny? There was no recall of the actual trip. It wasn't until he actually stopped laughing and went to wipe the tears from his eyes that he realized he was holding the pipe. He had forgotten that he even smoked. Two separate times this happened.

On another occasion he blacked out completely but for weeks after the incident he would get "flash" memories of very strange rooms he was in. Very alien like atmospheres that he can remember very vividly just for a couple of seconds. Then just like that the memories fade and he cant for the life of him recall them anymore only seconds after having just remembered it. Whatever it was was very DMTish in nature and most likely are memories from the blackouts.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it. I would really like to know what went on during those forgotten times. What's with the flash memories only to be forgotten seconds later....and What in the hell did SWIM experience that was so damn funny?!?

Maybe hypnosis could help.
Maybe not.

It would be nice to find out though!

Even applying hypnosis to unforgotten DMT experiences would be very interesting. Sometimes so much information is thrown at an individual in such a short amount of time. Perhaps hypnotism can slow things down a bit and help one integrate the experience better. Maybe even help them recall events that occurred that they didn't even realized they forgot!

BerryRight
#14 Posted : 2/25/2011 12:53:26 PM

If they ban it, it has to be good!

I've seen it once with a DMT friend. it looked like if there was a demon inside his body and tried to come in our reality. He spread several times his mouth wide open, unnatural open. I took and hold his hand 3 times, and when he camed back he said to me, "to bad i didn't smoked more". I said, "didn't you remember i was holding your hand?. "No", he said. It was pretty horrific.

Somethimes it's beter to don't see as much you can see in a DMT trip.
The difference between knowing the path and walking the path..

ChampionPuffa
#15 Posted : 2/25/2011 1:27:15 PM

lol.

my partner has not been able to remember her trips an tends to come back forgetting shes done dmt, she just remembers the weird feelings.
this is only on smaller doses aswell of between 15-25mg.

PROHIBITION?? - just say NO!!

mrwiggle
#16 Posted : 2/27/2011 9:33:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

for me a blackout type experience is not so much just coming too afterword with no recollection whatsoever, though it is more of the experience being too much information too fast and my brain doesn't have enough time to download it... thinking has a speed limit, if one is to surpass this they must process the experience through their core self through a sort of direct knowing, as apposed to processing it mentally, the concepts present are way beyond mental capabilities and one needs to transcribe them in a similar fashion as drawing a 3d object on a 2d paper, you will probably need to work through it across many experiences to properly dissect it, also one could slow down the experience so as to be more able to disassemble it more with the mind, maoi's help many swimmers with endurance
ive received the trans dermal download in the apousal lounge

no disease could possibly survive in such a wiggly environment!

Dedalus
#17 Posted : 2/28/2011 2:03:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I completely agree with you mrwiggle. You've hit upon the core of what I believe about DMT blackouts. We can't remember them because the only way to experience them is to live them. It gets to the point where one cannot recall the least bit of it because it is its own state of being, too radically different in its dynamics from our normal brain processing.

DMT shows you just how horribly, intensely beautiful the world is. I think we can "understand" and "see" at much higher levels, and that this is why we can see all this terrible beauty.

So it's like doing Shiva. Hell yes.
The above is for entertainment purposes only.

"A caged community of chimpanzees reacts very sensitively if a member of the tribe has received LSD. Even though no changes appear in this single animal, the whole cage gets in an uproar because the LSD chimpanzee no longer observes the laws of its finely coordinated hierarchic tribal order."
From LSD: My Problem Child

gibran2
#18 Posted : 2/28/2011 2:30:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

With respect to DMT experiences, I think there are 4 types of “blackouts”, and not all of them are technically blackouts.

The first is a lapse into unconsciousness. This is what we ordinarily think of as a blackout, and seems to be caused by an overdose. I doubt that hypnosis could recover anything meaningful from this type of blackout.

The second type is just a very rapid forgetting, not unlike what happens when you wake up from a dream and immediately begin going about your daily business. Without any deliberate attention or effort, the memory of the experience is lost. However, I think that blackouts of this type could be easily recalled via hypnosis.

The third is as described in the posts by “mrwiggle” and “Dedalus”. Certain experiences seem to be perceived via modified or new senses. Maybe DMT causes a temporary “re-wiring” of certain brain circuits, and as a result allows for novel modes of perception, but once the experience is over, the circuits responsible for the novel perceptions revert to their normal state. Recall is a reconstructive process which relies on our brain’s perceptual circuitry, so if the perceptual circuitry is no longer present, then recall is not possible. (As an example, people who become blind as a result of damage to the visual cortex not only can’t see anymore, but can’t remember anything visual from their past. They can’t “mentally visualize”.) This type cannot be recalled via hypnosis unless hypnosis is capable of causing the same sort of temporary “re-wiring” as is DMT, which I think is unlikely.

The fourth type is something I experience regularly with deep breakthroughs, and I don’t hear much mention of it by others, so it seems like it’s not too common (maybe?). There are certain experiences where I am either explicitly “told” or where it is self-evident that what I am experiencing is “privileged” and that I will not be allowed to bring back all aspects of the experience. For example, on one occasion I was “told” that I could enter a “room” and participate in a “ritual” of some sort, but that I would not be allowed to bring back any memories of it. I of course entered the room. I can remember being in the room, I remember looking around, taking it all in. I even remember thinking to myself how strange it was that I could be so fully aware of my surroundings yet know that I wouldn’t remember it later. (Psst… I’ll tell you a secret, but you have to agree to have it erased from your memory after I tell you. Smile ) I’m sure that hypnosis cannot help with recall of these “erased” memories.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Dreamwalker
#19 Posted : 3/1/2011 12:18:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
The fourth type is something I experience regularly with deep breakthroughs, and I don’t hear much mention of it by others, so it seems like it’s not too common (maybe?). There are certain experiences where I am either explicitly “told” or where it is self-evident that what I am experiencing is “privileged” and that I will not be allowed to bring back all aspects of the experience. For example, on one occasion I was “told” that I could enter a “room” and participate in a “ritual” of some sort, but that I would not be allowed to bring back any memories of it. I of course entered the room. I can remember being in the room, I remember looking around, taking it all in. I even remember thinking to myself how strange it was that I could be so fully aware of my surroundings yet know that I wouldn’t remember it later. (Psst… I’ll tell you a secret, but you have to agree to have it erased from your memory after I tell you. Smile ) I’m sure that hypnosis cannot help with recall of these “erased” memories.

Ahhh yes.... I know of these moments your talking about very well. For whatever reason it seems that the most important/meaningful pieces of information are the first to be forgotten.

As far as I'm aware of there are no hypnosis studies to date done directly on any individual undergoing any type of DMT experience at all, Blackout or not.

I can understand how one could assume that hypnosis would be ineffective at recalling anything from the experience due to the confounding nature of DMT in general. However, this is all just speculation at this point.

Until any studies are actually done it's anyones guess.

I'm not saying your wrong or I'm right but could you imagine if you were actually able recall these "privileged" moments you speak of?

Just think if all it took to remember were to just "re-wind the tape" and play it back in a comfortable setting with a professional hypnotherapist?

An intresting thought.
Even if it may prove to be a pointless one.

gibran2
#20 Posted : 3/1/2011 1:18:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dreamwalker wrote:
Ahhh yes.... I know of these moments your talking about very well. For whatever reason it seems that the most important/meaningful pieces of information are the first to be forgotten.

It’s more than just the most important pieces of information being forgotten first. It is a knowing during the experience that what is being perceived at that moment will not be brought back. It is a perceiving with a concurrent knowing that “I won’t remember any of this when I get back”. A bit like lucid dreaming – lucid forgetting? It is an extremely selective form of forgetting.

12NEXT