We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Should I change my diet for taking ayahuasca? Options

Xatsh
#1 Posted : 2/19/2011 2:41:20 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I read a few things about MAOI's and possible dangers of mixing certain foods and other chemicals. Is there any significant danger from your daily diet? I've thought about going on a fresh fruit/salad kind of diet for the days before and after.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

BathtubSkyPirate
#2 Posted : 2/19/2011 3:01:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MMPA
#3 Posted : 2/21/2011 5:43:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would definitely recommend it. Expelling as many foreign and artificial substances as possible will ensure that your experience takes full advantage of the aya. You might be more interested in fasting, as it will truly help eliminate your stomach and body of the contents of it. Also, some people take certain emetics to force themselves clean, aka purging themselves.

But if you want to go for the change in diet, a simple rule to remember is to only eat things that come from nature naturally. Fruit, vegetables, nuts, juices, salad, etc. If you have to process it or it is made artificially then avoid it.

Wave Rider
#4 Posted : 2/21/2011 8:07:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, I don't know what your diet currently is, but I think you have very little to worry about if you are using a reversible MAOI such as those found in the harmala family (B. Capii, S. Rue).

With a poor diet you can get headaches and increased nausea from reversible MAOIs. This is a general statement and given that I do not know your personal physiology, I can't say for sure that you'll be ok, just that you have little to worry about.

A change in diet may not be a bad idea, but it isn't entirely necessary for using a reversible MAOI. Just be conscious of what you eat. Stay away from processed foods.

Do not mix MAOIs with other drugs or you can die if you don't know what you are doing.

It may be prudent to do more research and have a sitter who is willing to take you to the hospital should the need arise. At least until you know how this drug is going to affect you. Especially if you have existing health problems.

If you are a reasonably healthy adult who doesn't take medications, has no allergies and is not pregnant, then you should be fine, but be warned you may get a headache if you eat junk/crap food beforehand.

With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. - Hunter S. Thompson

burnt
#5 Posted : 2/21/2011 8:46:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

I don't think eating processed food makes ayahuasca any more or less dangerous. What is processed food anyway? It depends on the food not necessarily the processing. Certain kinds of canned food or 'fermented' foods have higher levels of tryamine. But things like preservatives have no interaction with MAOI or dmt.

There are certain foods to avoid, those that contain higher levels of tyramine. Although eating some of those foods the day before or day of isn't always a big problem as long as you don't eat too much. Its actually a lot less of a concern then some make it out to be especially with harmalas. SWIM has eaten pizza loaded with cheese after taking MAOI and there was no problem. Although beer gave SWIM one of the worst headaches ever so definitely avoid alcohol.

Wave Rider
#6 Posted : 2/21/2011 9:45:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You're right burnt. I have never had any problems with ayahuasca and food either, nor have I changed my diet. I too, have drank ayahuasca after alcohol and was the unfortunate recipient of the headache that you describe. I will not do it again. I used "processed foods" as a generic interchangeable term for junk food.

Meats, particularly meats like salami, sausage, peperoni, bologna etc have high levels of tryamine. I guess you already know this, but what I was trying to say is that I don't feel confident that the meat in my "hot pocket" or "hot dog" or "mcdonalds" is compatible with my MAOI.

Sometimes if I don't eat right, I feel "icky" for lack of a better term, so I was trying to steer him away from junk food in general, while taking ayahuasca. While not necessary, it can't hurt either. It's really no fun to be tripping while feeling icky, and it's really, really no fun if you feel icky with a tryamine headache too. It's easier to just avoid this situation by choosing grilled chicken instead of a bacon cheesburger and doritos. You don't need to change your diet, but it might pay off to make smarter choices for a day.

With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. - Hunter S. Thompson

burnt
#7 Posted : 2/21/2011 5:28:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Quote:
Meats, particularly meats like salami, sausage, peperoni, bologna etc have high levels of tryamine. I guess you already know this, but what I was trying to say is that I don't feel confident that the meat in my "hot pocket" or "hot dog" or "mcdonalds" is compatible with my MAOI.

Sometimes if I don't eat right, I feel "icky" for lack of a better term, so I was trying to steer him away from junk food in general, while taking ayahuasca. While not necessary, it can't hurt either. It's really no fun to be tripping while feeling icky, and it's really, really no fun if you feel icky with a tryamine headache too. It's easier to just avoid this situation by choosing grilled chicken instead of a bacon cheesburger and doritos. You don't need to change your diet, but it might pay off to make smarter choices for a day.

Oh yea I totally agree with that. With any psychedelic that is known to cause nausea I try to avoid food that makes you feel tired, heavy, or yea icky.

evil804
#8 Posted : 2/25/2011 9:47:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ive noticed a sodium heavy diet (chinese food, Sodium heavy soups, etc...) causes the spice to be less effective. Everytime i eat chinese food my spice doesnt work for the next 2-3 days.

BerryRight
#9 Posted : 2/26/2011 11:41:14 AM

If they ban it, it has to be good!

Don't eat fresh fruit and leave the Bananas. Also don't eat nuts and soja. Just eat normal, otherwise u will get some headache. Most off the time i will do 1 day diet.
The difference between knowing the path and walking the path..

cecil_cbr
#10 Posted : 3/4/2011 4:02:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

the shamans i worked with in peru were eating meat for breakfast and lunch all the time as well as fried bananas, so they obviously did not care about diet at all

OneAllOne
#11 Posted : 3/4/2011 7:00:56 AM

commonly called alex

A detox can't do bad before a ceremony. Some shamans/vegetalistas have a 3 day fasting period, when they keep away from salty/sweet food. Others don't eat meat for 1 week before, probably because it tekes almost a week to fully assimilate every substance the body takes from meat, not too sure about this one. Smoked or dried foods also have very high levels of tyramine. Read Pirate's links as they are extremely valuable information.
"If time is space, then history is a cobweb!" - Terence McKenna

endlessness
#12 Posted : 3/4/2011 9:19:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmala MAOI dangers in relation to food are highly exagerated. Harmalas inhibit mostly MAO-A while tyramine is metabolized by MAO-B..

Also remember first place to check for answers is the FAQ

Eat lightly out of good sense (just as you would with any psychedelic, regardless of MAOI) and you'll be fine