We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
*Water Only* Tek -- work in progress Options

Wanderer
#1 Posted : 2/13/2011 5:34:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

So SWIM has been mulling this over for a while. He's been having trouble with other teks, and has so-far 'wasted' 150g of MHRB powder in his experiments. So he's been reducing and reducing the steps of extraction to try and find the simplest way, and he's found it!

That's right, folks! No more petrochems, no more siphoning and separating layers, no more acetone or acids, none of that nasty stuff! Just simple water and a wee-bit of hydroxide ions (Lye).

So if that sounds like what you want, follow these simple steps!

The DMTea Tek

Tools of Ye Trade

* Water
* Plant Material for Extraction
* A Saucepan
* Lye (Or Pickling Lime or maybe Na2CO3? Stick with lye until these are confirmed)
* Coffee Filters
* Love!

Ye Process for Glory!

Step One
So you're going to want to grab a saucepan of sufficient size, and tenderly pour some tasty plant material into it. Throw the pinky-finger out for good measure. After this, pour some water into the saucepan and, with the aid of a classy tea-time spoon, stir it up. Now put it on some heat and bring to a boil. Be careful not to let it boil over (like SWIM did!). If it's MHRB, it's going to smell a bit funny, so make sure you're cooking Indian food at the same time if you have suspicious roommates -- maybe some delicious curry... mmm!

Step Two!
After the tea has been brewing for some time (30-60 minutes should do), let it cool off a bit and let the plant material settle. Now pour off the water through a coffee filter and collect the delicious tea in a separate container. This should separate out the particulates and any oils. If its MHRB, it's going to be a nice purple-mahogany color. The filtering process can take a long-time, so make sure you have a nice book to read. After it's filtered, boil it down to about a quart or so (or more, depending on how much MHRB you used). I'd say 150g/quart is good, but whatever volume you choose, it should be of low enough viscosity to be able to be filtered easily. The heat shouldn't damage any of the tastiness in the Tea at this point since they are still in their natural salt forms.

Step Three
After it's been boiled down nicely, let it cool. Filter again if you'd like (SWIM didn't). Now take this remaining fluid and carefully add some lye. You will notice that it immediately makes the fluid turn opaque and a cream color, but stir it up and it will turn black (for MHRB). Keep adding lye until it's really nice and dark blackish-brown (or until no more cream-color forms when it's added).

Step Four
After adding some lye, you will notice some strange layer separating from the fluid, which almost looks like oil. Do not be alarmed, this is merely the tastiness coming out of the tea. The hydroxides break the salt-form of the tastiness into its freebase, which is insoluble with water. So now put the lye-tea somewhere pretty cool (not freezing) like the refrigerator (SWIM used his basement). Let it sit for a few days (2-3 days for SWIM). You will notice crystals forming out of the "oily" layer that formed on top of the tea after the lye was added. After the crystals are pretty well formed (.5-1cm across), you're ready for the next step.

Step Five
Now take the crystally tea and pour it through another coffee filter. This time the crystals will be trapped in the filter. After most of the blackish liquid has drained out and you are left with dirty-looking crystals. Fear not! To clean them, simply get fresh, clean water and drip it over the crystals (slowly). An eyedropper works well for this. None of the tastiness will be lost since the crystal structure is fairly robust so long as the water isn't superheated. This will clean all the lye-filled coffee-looking tea from the crystals, and they should be clear-to-yellow in color.

Now simply take the coffee filter and let it dry. Your extracted crystal magic is now ready!

So Why Does it Work?!
Good Question!

Simply put, there is little need to use any acid in the process because DMT (and related alkaloids) are already in salt-form naturally, and are thus water soluble. Boiling the plant-material allows it to flow freely from the cell walls, but if you are paranoid you are going to lose yield, boil it for a long time. Now after lye is added, the salt-forms of DMT are liberated into their freebases, which are insoluble in water. No need to siphon them off in an oil layer, as they will do so on their own given enough time and a low enough temperature.

SWIM has tested this method and it works well. He got very good yields from MHRB.

So that's all I got from SWIM. If anyone has any questions, SWIM would love to answer them.

Have a fun tea-time!
-- Wanderer
Wandering back to the home I never left.

All posts made by this member (Wanderer) should be read and interpreted solely as fictional accounts of fantasy, and in no way represent or depict real events or the life of any living or deceased persons.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Malaclypse
#2 Posted : 2/13/2011 5:51:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Woah! Potentially awesome stuff here.

Did SWIY try this method with both lye and calcium hydroxide or just lye? What were SWIY's yields with this method? Results from bio-assay?

Seems almost too good/easy to be true Smile

Wanderer
#3 Posted : 2/13/2011 6:04:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM did Lye, but has a Na2CO3 batch in the works. He sees some crystals forming in the Na2CO3 solution, but isn't sure if it's just precipitated excess carbonate.

Attached is a picture of the spice extracted from about 30-40 grams of MHRB on the first boil (I haven't reboiled the powder for a final extraction yet). It's about the size of a quarter when all gathered together.

He will update with the carbonate extraction later. He hasn't "tested" the goods so to speak, but judging by the look of the crystals, he'd say its the real-deal. SWIM is waiting to go into hyperspace with a friend soon; he hasn't dabbled with spice just yet, so he wants a buddy to join him.

-- Wanderer
Wanderer attached the following image(s):
xtal.jpg (24kb) downloaded 2,332 time(s).

All posts made by this member (Wanderer) should be read and interpreted solely as fictional accounts of fantasy, and in no way represent or depict real events or the life of any living or deceased persons.

Wanderer
#4 Posted : 2/13/2011 6:21:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Another update from SWIM:

So he did want to see if the crystals were really DMT. He took a small amount and put it in a small pipe (with some copper mesh as a heat substrate). It melted at a low temperature. SWIM then decided to take a bit of a draw on the pipe to see if he'd feel anything. He felt something -- no visuals, but a definite sense of 'difference'. Sort of like coming down off of a shroom trip (or coming up). SWIM takes this to be slight activation of the 5-HT serotonin receptors, so he's fairly confident this definitely is spice.

-- Wanderer

proto-pax
#5 Posted : 2/13/2011 7:13:35 AM

bird-brain

OH damn, I will have to try this.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Dorge
#6 Posted : 2/13/2011 7:31:09 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

Well lets hope we all get constant results... Mantis help us all if it's this easy!
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Wanderer
#7 Posted : 2/13/2011 7:34:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Let me know if you have any technical questions. I may have left some extraneous procedural information out. Also, SWIM's recommendation for filtering is to use mason jars and standard coffee filters. Simply push the coffee filter into the mouth of the jar some distance (the more the better I suppose) and fold the residual filter over the lip of the jar. Simply screw on a band to secure the filter in place and, voila! A secure filtration vessel.

Also, SWIM must reiterate the importance of setting the basified tea in a cool place and *waiting* for the crystals to coalesce. This can take up to a week, depending on the concentration of spice and volume of liquid involved, but generally less. Some of the crystals should float on the surface of solution, while others will sink to the bottom (and thus not be visible). Keep an eye on the surface of the solution for determining when the crystals are sufficiently big enough not to fall through the filter.

-- Wanderer

Wanderer
#8 Posted : 2/13/2011 7:57:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh excellent! Another master tea-steeper up to the plate. Let us know how it goes Very happy

-- Wanderer

endlessness
#9 Posted : 2/13/2011 11:19:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome work Wanderer! What was the yield, do you know/

But btw, I dont think pickling lime will work because its very poorly water soluble.. I know sodium carb doesnt work when trying to precipitate dmt from an acetic acid solution but maybe the no-acid thing will make it work? Would be interested if someone tried.

DeMenTed
#10 Posted : 2/13/2011 11:55:41 AM

Barry

If this tek yeilds good results then it's definitely the future!!

Enoon
#11 Posted : 2/13/2011 12:51:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

wow great work! thanks for this. Do update yields when the final results come in!!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

Orion
#12 Posted : 2/13/2011 12:56:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If this turns out to be legit, i may celebrate, and smoalk for you my friend.

*EDIT* If one keeps the original materials used in the beginning, he should be able to do this again and again to extract more yes? Also, whats the story with bark pieces in this tek? Would it be better ground up as per usual? (of course it will, but is it quite as necessary this time?)
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

gibran2
#13 Posted : 2/13/2011 2:55:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

You may want to take a look at this thread: Separating DMT Without Any Solvent.

The general consensus was that this isn’t a very good way to get clean, high yields.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Dorge
#14 Posted : 2/13/2011 3:28:03 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

It doesn't have to be that clean to be used in Changa. This could also use a good frozen ammonia wash me thinks...
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

endlessness
#15 Posted : 2/13/2011 3:45:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
You may want to take a look at this thread: Separating DMT Without Any Solvent.

The general consensus was that this isn’t a very good way to get clean, high yields.

Well yeah thats the theory and also my experience at least with sodium carb and acidified brew, but if Wanderer gets a reasonably pure product and decent yields (he didnt state yields yet), thats all that counts no?

Maybe not adding an acid is essential, as well as some more thorough filtering, and only using lye as base and not sodium carb?

I will love to hear about more people testing this.

Dagger, Im really curious on what happens.. maybe adding to the fridge will help dmt hardening up ?

and yeah later one should def wash the crystals but I wouldnt wash with ammonia.

Malaclypse
#16 Posted : 2/13/2011 4:48:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Awesome work Wanderer! What was the yield, do you know/

But btw, I dont think pickling lime will work because its very poorly water soluble.. I know sodium carb doesnt work when trying to precipitate dmt from an acetic acid solution but maybe the no-acid thing will make it work? Would be interested if someone tried.

SWIM is going to try with some pickling lime very soon just to see. Will use like 20g of MHRB to test it out.

Ice House
#17 Posted : 2/13/2011 5:36:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

endlessness wrote:
reasonably pure product and decent yields (he didnt state yields yet), thats all that counts no?

imho that is all that counts.

I am watching for some results and keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck and thanks for the effort.
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Wanderer
#18 Posted : 2/13/2011 6:15:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Excellent work everyone!

Dagger, that looks exactly right! Yes, that's the liquid DMT. Over time it will solidify and form crystals, and like you said, this can day anywhere from a couple days up to a week or two, depending on how much there is. If you have the materials, it might be interesting to do a non-polar pull from the water after you've filtered out the crystals, to see if anything was left over.

As far as yield is concerned, SWIM doesn't have a small enough scale to do measure what was extracted from 35g of MHRB, but it looks to be around at least 350mg from my eyes (the crystals come together to form a size of roughly a quarter, with a thickness of perhaps 4-8mm. I will try another batch in the future (50-100g) to see if my scale will pick up what comes out of that.

I'm fairly sure the product is as pure as most other extractions, from what I have seen in comparison to other pictures. The crystals SWIM got were clean, clear, with only the slightest of yellow colors. He expects these could be cleaned further with another ice water wash or a recrystalization with anhydrous acetone (though this sorta defeats the purpose of water only :winkSmile.

I hope this works for everyone as well as it did for SWIM!

-- Wanderer

Dorge
#19 Posted : 2/13/2011 6:25:09 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

What would you suggest instead of frozen ammonia for the wash endless and why?

Shaolin
#20 Posted : 2/13/2011 6:56:41 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Dorge wrote:
What would you suggest instead of frozen ammonia for the wash endless and why?

Addendum for Noman's TEK (1)

1) Get rid of the ammonia wash. For whatever reason, it seems to cause problems for at least half the people that use it. Change it to a wash of the NP with a weak basic solution.

FAQ (2)

"DO NOT WASH WITH AMMONIA! Many people report losing yield with ammonia wash"

There was actually a recent thread of someone who lost yield with ammonia and like Noman said it has been sketchy since it's implementation.

I don't think you can wash per se (carbonate wash aside) DMT in such matter. The only replacement for this would be dissolving DMT in a "friendly" solvent (to remove traces of other solvents) with friendly well, being as non toxic as possible. Alcohols would probably be the answer but I'm sure end will you give a much more detailed answer.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

123NEXT»