We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
F cigs Options

DoctorMantus
#1 Posted : 2/12/2011 3:27:55 PM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

Currently i am just getting extremely angry about these cigarettes i would very much like to quit, and have tried numerous times, i am up to about a pack a day sometimes more. Can anyone help or give any advice for good methods of quitting these things. the one thing that really bothers me is the withdrawl i feel like whenever i try to quite its insane how much my brain warps without the nicotine fix, i get angry and pissed off and to me its ridiculous how i almost feel controlled smoking and buying cigs and the govt make all the good things illegal and the two worst things cigs and alcohol legal its fucked up excuse my language. if any1 has advice i would appreciate it,
much love my friends.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

MelCat
#2 Posted : 2/12/2011 5:10:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

It won't really help for quitting but it does give a better smoking experience...

When I first started smoking spice, I really wanted to quit too but as you've stated, nicotine is a very brutal addiction.

What I did is instead of quitting (I still want to quit) is I started rolling my own ciggs.

By doing this, I find that I smoke much less for a couple of reasons.

1) it's a pain in the ass to roll a cigg every time you crave one, so by not having a pack of pre-rolled ciggs, you have to wait until it's convenient to roll one.

2) the ciggs you get that are pre-rolled are friggin huge. They put a lot of tobacco (and God knows what else) in there. When rolling your own, you can choose exactly how much goes in there. When I roll mine, I roll them fairly tiny and this causes them to go out if I don't puff on it after a few min. Once it goes out, I usually just put it down and save it for later.

3) I also find that rolling your own high quality tobacco, it feels like you have more of a relationship to the plant. The tobacco still feels "alive" and not so overly processed. Some of my friends who don't smoke still enjoy smoking one of my ciggs here and there.

The tobacco I use and recommend is Peter Stokkebye
I've tried a lot of their flavors but the Amsterdam Shag is by far my favorite. It always seems to be the freshest as well. Something about the way they cure that stuff is amazing.

I'm interested in hearing how other people quit smoking but in the meantime, this is definitely an upgrade from buying pre-rolled packs of ciggs.

Something else to consider, while you spend ~$5 a pack on ciggs, I buy close to a pound of this stuff for ~$80 and $10 for two 300 packs of papers and it will usually last me 2-3 months. So 600 ciggs for ~$90 ain't bad.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

dreamer042
#3 Posted : 2/12/2011 5:53:10 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

People laugh when I tell them this

The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr

http://www.amazon.com/Ea...n-Smokers/dp/1402718616

It worked for me. It taught me that it's all a perception thing.

This book helped clear the misconceptions out of my mind.

Once I saw the truth of the matter it was extremely easy quit smoking tobacco.

-Namaste
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

DoctorMantus
#4 Posted : 2/12/2011 5:56:38 PM

Yes i agree it is a very good method also on the money saving aspect, i use to get bugler rollies. Its just like a few days you really need to fight it out, ive been free from them before but stupidly started again. A method i had used once was a patch. if i could get them again i would but after getting free patches from smokers quit line i thinks its a one time free deal. When i had tried the patch i had 20mg and the reason i felt it worked well is because the patch almost put too much nicotine in me, it would give me a nauseous feeling and it got to the point were if i thought or had a craving for a cig i would feel sick bc of how much nicotine was put into my body, almost like an overdosing of nicotine and your body gets sick of it. this was just my personal experience, another problem that makes quitting difficult is like i can quit but there are so many habits you get into smoking when you wake up, after eating, driving, the list goes on i know when i have not smoked its really hard because of the absence of smoke.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

DoctorMantus
#5 Posted : 2/12/2011 6:01:21 PM

dreamer042 wrote:

-Namaste

so would you consider this book worth its buy, i mean i am sure it would be worth it considering it got you off cigs, like how strongly
would you recommend this book.
— Terence McKenna

open'nheart
#6 Posted : 2/12/2011 6:02:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

i was a smoker for many years and played the quitting game many times to no avail.
what finally worked for me was a 10 day vippassina meditation retreat. my reasons for going had nothing to do with wanting to quit tobacco, but i realized i wouldnt be able to smoke for 10 days, so i weened myself the week before with one or two a day. after the 10 day course i had no desire to smoke (i actually had no desire during the course either, odd enough) vippassina is all about sitting with what is as it is, and not creating an aversion to unpleasant sensations or a craving for pleasant ones.

dreamer042
#7 Posted : 2/12/2011 6:05:58 PM

Dreamoar

DoctorMantus wrote:
dreamer042 wrote:

-Namaste

so would you consider this book worth its buy, i mean i am sure it would be worth it considering it got you off cigs, like how strongly
would you recommend this book.

Yeah I'd say it's worth buying, it actually did the job for me after many years of struggling so it's got my thumbs up. Though to be honest I didn't. I like to support my local library Pleased
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

DoctorMantus
#8 Posted : 2/12/2011 6:17:11 PM

well it seems worth the buy especially in the long run, and honestly i only see tobacco prices going up.
— Terence McKenna

jamie
#9 Posted : 2/12/2011 6:24:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

1. simply quit and be over with it.
2.Iboga
3.lobelia
4.get some mapacho and ween yourself off..mapacho is great
Long live the unwoke.

Wave Rider
#10 Posted : 2/12/2011 8:03:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I am a pack-a-day smoker. I quit once for about six months, but I started again when I went to Iraq (stupid, stupid, stupid).

What helped me quit was the prescription drug "Chantix". It really worked for me. I don't know all the medical jargon about what it does, but in laymans terms; what it does is takes away the desire for nicotine, I think it blocks the pleasure receptors in you brain that the nicotine clings to, or something like that. It isn't the anti-smoking drug that makes you nauseated when you smoke, it's different, it makes you not want cigarettes. It lets you smoke as much as you want for about two weeks, then one day you will be smoking and realize "This sucks..I don't even want to be smoking this garbage", then you flick it and never pick it up again. Unless you are stupid (like me).

There are negative side effects, but it can't be worse for you than smoking is. I would suggest that you at least research it.

Peace, love and good luck on your quest to quit.

With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. - Hunter S. Thompson

BathtubSkyPirate
#11 Posted : 2/13/2011 7:55:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dreamer042 wrote:

-Namaste

Someone i knew got a course from Allen Carr from his work (together with all his smoking colleagues), they could smoke during the course but at the end of the course they had to throw their cigs in the corner. He and his colleagues stopped smoking since and this was almost ten years ago.

Went cold turkey once and stopped for 2,5 years. But as a moron as i am, i started smoking again.

I couldn't remember what the name was, so i would like to thank you dreamer042 for bringing this up. I will definitely will buy this book and hopefully quit this bad habit as soon as possible.

lonewolf123
#12 Posted : 2/14/2011 1:11:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey Mantus, you should check out electronic ciggerettes. Its just nicotine in either Propylene Glycol or vegetable glycerin. They both turn to water vapor i think when vaporized, which is what happens when you 'smoke' an electronic cigg. I started about 2 weeks ago and had maybe less then 10 ciggs since then. I was also a pack a day smoker. Im just as addicted to nicotine as ever (you can buy juice with different amounts of nicotine in them, from 0 - 36mg, maybe more. So you can ween yourself off of these), but at least im not inhaling all the crap that comes with a gov't approved cigg. Good Luck

DoctorMantus
#13 Posted : 2/14/2011 1:41:58 AM

i have tried the vapor idk not a fan of the flavor im currently just not buying cigs fortunate my gf has some but i only had maybe 4 or 5 yesterday. wish me luck i just gotten ween my self off slowly.
— Terence McKenna

dreamer042
#14 Posted : 2/14/2011 2:28:10 AM

Dreamoar

BathtubSkyPirate wrote:

Someone i knew got a course from Allen Carr from his work (together with all his smoking colleagues), they could smoke during the course but at the end of the course they had to throw their cigs in the corner. He and his colleagues stopped smoking since and this was almost ten years ago.

Went cold turkey once and stopped for 2,5 years. But as a moron as i am, i started smoking again.

I couldn't remember what the name was, so i would like to thank you dreamer042 for bringing this up. I will definitely will buy this book and hopefully quit this bad habit as soon as possible.

Very cool to hear of more success stories with this.

Best of luck in your endeavor Very happy (even tho you won't need it Pleased)

neZ
#15 Posted : 2/14/2011 9:44:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I will also vouch for Alan Carr having known people that have given up 40+ year habits after reading his book.

Here is a summary from wiki, though I still recommend the book

Quote:
Carr teaches that, contrary to their perception, smokers do not receive a boost from smoking a cigarette: smoking only relieves the withdrawal symptoms from the previous cigarette, which in turn creates more withdrawal symptoms once it is finished. In this way the drug addiction perpetuates itself. He asserted that the "relief" smokers feel on lighting a cigarette, the feeling of being "back to normal", is the feeling experienced by non-smokers all the time. So that smokers, when they light a cigarette are really trying to achieve a state that non-smokers enjoy their whole lives. He further asserted that withdrawal symptoms are actually created by doubt and fear in the mind of the ex-smoker, and therefore that stopping smoking is not as traumatic as is commonly assumed, if that doubt and fear can be removed.

Another assertion, unique to Carr's method is that willpower is not required to quit smoking.

His contention was that fear of "giving up" is what causes the majority of smokers to continue smoking, thereby necessitating the smoker's perpetuation of the illusion of genuine enjoyment, as a moral justification of the inherent absurdity of smoking in the face of overwhelming medical and scientific evidence of its dangers.

Ellis D'Empty
#16 Posted : 2/14/2011 10:21:58 PM

Snirfneblin

Cigs are the secret to immortality... everytime you quit you gain 10 years onto your life

So just quit a bunch!

xD
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

SugarFreeHybrid
#17 Posted : 2/15/2011 1:55:04 PM

A Light-Breather

I hope whoever smokes cigarettes will be able to STOP!

I have smoked cigarrettes for ≈ 5 years (≈1 pack a day). However I quit smoking one-two weeks ago. At least I try to and so far it's working. I've only smoked three cigarettes since I quit. Two on one morning and One on another morning. The key to quitting (for me at least) is not to buy cigarette packs. Even if you only would want to smoke one cigarette, you still have a pack left with 19 to go. Here's a few reasons why I stopped smoking cigarettes:

1. Cigarettes are made to bring in as much money as possible for the cigarette companies. It's a clever legal money trick, which I'm not gonna support. At least I cannot think of anything other that is a legally addicting drug that brings in insane amounts of money. Think about it if you'd have a business and your customer would be addicted to your legal poison which you've just created, and they come everyday to buy that. I mean how awesome isn't it, you get money every day for sure! from millions of people! It's all about money.

2. Now I don't have to save money for cigarettes and say like "I have no money to do that", "Why", "Because I have to buy cigarettes". But this is my problem, I'm poor.

3. Think about your health. Even if money is no problem to you, your health is. At least I don't know a place where you can go buy yourself a new set of lungs. Maybe in the future. Cool

4. There are shitloads of evil chemicals inside a cigarette. Take a look at this picture (which I found by looking at this thread https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=19209)

http://www.rense.com/Gma...0Photos_files/a_014.jpg

So appearently this is what the cigarette paper looks like where the tobacco is rolled in. Looks like death.

And check out this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_additives_in_cigarettes
"This is the list of 599 additives in cigarettes submitted to the United States Department of Health and Human Services in April 1994."

So at least 500 additives not ment for humans, are waiting for you in you next cigarette... Unfortunately this is not enough.

"One significant issue is that while all these chemical compounds have been approved as additives to food, they were not tested by burning. Burning changes the properties of chemicals. More than 4,000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette."

So there are 599 approved additives and... 4000 or more when you start smoking that cigarette, which usually in the most cases is why you buy cigarettes, so you can smoke them. Crazy, crazy, crazy!

And I've also heard that when It's below 0°C (32°F) you can get even more poisons by the reaction of the cold air and the chemicals reacting together. And that scientists are working in the labs trying to discover new additives for cigarettes everyday so we smokers could get more addicted. However I've only heard these things so feel free to prove me wrong.

You shouldn't be addicted to something like cigarettes I mean come on, these little cancer rolls are nothing but pure evil. But who am I to say what you should or shouldn't do. Think for yourself, do you really want to smoke these cigarettes, how many "good" cigarettes are there in a day. I had about 3-5, depending on how many times I eat. Pleased the rest are just addiction and habit. All of my friends smoke cigarettes, and I can only say that it's your own individual effort that can make you stop. And you can always come up with an excuse like... aaah, fuck that you know, my lifestyle and the drugs I use will kill me before the cigarettes does. At least that was my ex excuse, and on some bad days maybe will be again (Hopefully not). All my friends smoke cigarettes so that makes it even harder to quit. Sometimes I feel like we are all doomed to these cigarettes, but we have to make an revolution "Down with the cigarettes" and "Hello legal marijuana"!

Now I really feel for smoking a cigg after writing all this, but when I look at "reason number 4" I quickly change my mind.
appreciation | compassion | forgiveness | humility | understanding | valor
- the six heart virtues

jbark
#18 Posted : 2/15/2011 2:26:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cigarettes are both physically and psychologically addictive. We incorporate them into daily habits, which reinforce the psychological addiction. So one way to ease into quitting is to break the habit bonds: instead of having a cigarette as soon as you roll out of bed, wAit a half hour; wait until you are done your coffe before having that cig; smoke outside, in your backyard? Move it to the front yard! Smoke after meals? Try before, imstead. Every time you automatically reach for a cigarrette, tell yourself to wait 5 minutes - it will make you conscious of the automatic reach, and help you control the impulse.

We are creatures of habit, who love to compound habits and ritualize tto feel secure. Get rid of the ritual, dissociate the habits, jumble your smoking habit, then cut out one cig at a time. Works wonders. The mind is a powerful, stubborn instrument prone to illogical rationalizations.

So trick it!!

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

damon
#19 Posted : 2/15/2011 3:27:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I like nicotine. It is my anti-depressant. F the pharmaceuticals, especially Chantix. They work for some though.

I smoked my last cigarette last May, and I don't miss tobacco one bit. I can control the dosage and I'm at half the nicotine levels when I started. Nicotine liquids contain nicotine, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and artificial/natural flavorings. Propylene glycol is used in medicines and is a common food additive, it is very benign and it is not anti-freeze. The flavorings are the only "unknown" thing, but these are mostly propylene glycol and other oils and extracts in tiny amounts, enough to smell or get a hint of the taste, but not strong like a jolly rancher. The flavorings are usually the same ones used in candy making and baking. There are tons of vendors selling liquids, and there is a big variation in flavors and quality, so it is easy to get frustrated before you find a juice you really like. My favorites are the simple fruit flavors from Tasty Vapor, because all the other places made their flavors too strong.

Metanoia
#20 Posted : 2/16/2011 2:43:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was a heavy smoker for about 10 years. I just decided that it was enough. I started to get migraines from them, so that was a good deterrent, but I realized how much money I was wasting, and they weren't doing a goddamn thing for me. I would get sick at least four or five times a year, cough up brown and black shit in the morning, etc.

It all comes down to will power. It's a brutal addiction, but any addiction can be beaten. I can't even stand the smell of cigarette smoke now, it's vile. It's all up to you to decide when you want to quit. I can see why I smoked, it was a social thing for me. But other than that, is there anything positive about it? It's disgusting and a waste of your life and health.