We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
SSRI's,complete DMT blockade? Options

Dwhitty76
#1 Posted : 8/9/2008 4:33:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

swims girlfriend was recently prescribed sertraline hcl (generic zoloft) 50mg's and she's been on them for a week.A dreaded ssri!!Swim took a look around the net to get some info on the topic and see what the effects it would have with dmt and other psychedelics.Doesnt look good but to quote EROWID on the topic of SSRI's "Generally reduce the effects of the psychedelic a bit." That doesnt seem to completely slam the door on her possible future journey's,right? Last night swim,his girl and a couple of friends got together for a "spice sitdown".Although,swim took two nice tokes and definately went somewhere else with these STRANGE charecters (will post that on the experience section).Everybody else got off aswell but when it came to swims girl? not a thing. She told swim there were a little of the preliminary vibtation feeling but nothing else,although for about a half an hour after "her go" she said her body felt a little relaxed.Swim wanted to know if anyone else has experience with this?Is it a complete dmt blockade or could smoking more of it help.What about pslilocyben?Swim and girl are kind of bummed about it,what to do?Anyone got any suggestions?
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 8/9/2008 5:09:43 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

yes.

the specific 'psychedelic receptor' psychedelics bind to is 5HT2A, ssri's act as competitive inhibitors. dmt and psilocybin are 5HT2a agonists, they promote signalling at these receptors.

tell her to get off the ssris, which are trash anyway (f#ck I hate big pharma and their damn ssris..it really is a conspiracy), and get some tianeptine instead. she'll thank SWIY
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Tripples
#3 Posted : 8/9/2008 4:49:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shit I didn't know this. Im on citalopram which is an ssri. Which has been a True lifesaver for me. No conspiracy just a decent treatment for someone who suffers from severe depression as a result of being abused as a kid.

The other day I took about 100mgDmt smoked. (see the thread how to takeit anally). Anyway I didn't breakthrough even after 2massive stokes held down for at least 30secs

I will try coming off the anti-Ds for a couple of days and see if that helps.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 8/9/2008 5:55:20 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

think about it: typical ssris make people dull, seems like forced grins; clouds creative thinking, and while people are all dumbed down on ssri's, they're subconsciously likely to be suckered into shopping from being bombarded by ads.
the pharma industry all but monopolizes the market, and pay large amounts of soft money to campaigning political figures. in short, ssri's are the enemy of free-thinkers.
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

benzyme
#5 Posted : 8/9/2008 6:00:49 PM

analytical chemist

think about it: typical ssris make people dull, almost forced grins. clouds creative thinking and while people are all dumbed down on ssri's, they're probably subconsciously likely to be suckered into shopping from being bombarded by ads.
big pharma companies like Eli Lilly and Phizer all but monopolize the market, and pay large amounts of soft money to campaigning political figures. in short, ssri's are the enemy of free-thinkers.
certain supplements would be more beneficial.

tryptophan or 5htp, then cycle through with tianeptine. you'd probably feel refreshed and able to think clearly.

Tripples
#6 Posted : 8/9/2008 6:45:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm interested in this ssrE - So do you take 5htp with tianeptine together? - Is it prescribed by doctors or is it a homeopathic thing?

Benzyme - I can understand you not liking a drug that you think turns people into capitalist zombie shoppers, but in fairness, if I had a choice between feeling upset, suicidal, so miserable I can't eat and wash OR feeling quite normal, Ok to eat, ok to wash, easy to laugh, don't want to kill myself, ok to make music, write and be creative. I'd take the latter. Also my most productive years have been the last few years in which I have been taking Citalopram (anti-deppresant SSRI)

OK for some people it may be the zombie drug you talk of, but for many like me it is a lifesaver.

I am however interested in alternatives especially if it means it won't negatively affect DMT.

benzyme
#7 Posted : 8/9/2008 6:53:25 PM

analytical chemist

cool cool..
i can sort of empathize, I'd opt for something like celexa if I was in a serious rut.

i think SSREs are the future of serotonergic antidepressants. it's an atypical tricyclic that makes you feel better by improving the efficiency of serotonin reuptake (metabolism), not inhibiting it. there is much promise in the research of neuroplasticity, the premise that neuronal cells can not only recover, but regenerate. tianeptine is a neuroplasticity-promoting agent.

since tianeptine promotes serotonin reuptake, it may possibly potentiate some psychedelics activity, I figure. shouldn't hurt

Tripples
#8 Posted : 8/9/2008 6:54:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Cool Thanks for letting know about the other options out there - I think I'll have to do some research on this myself - also celexa is aka citalpram

benzyme
#9 Posted : 8/9/2008 6:59:56 PM

analytical chemist

in the meantime, i'd honestly drop the ssri for a couple days, give 5htp a try. get it at a healthfood store or grocery market vitamins section. it's converted to serotonin in the gut.

Tripples
#10 Posted : 8/9/2008 7:09:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah - I've heard about 5htp.

To come off SSRI without toi many side effects - it would need o be donw by slowly decreasing the dose over a couple of weeks - if you take 5htp with citalopram it can cause serotonin syndrome - which is pretty lethal

Dwhitty76
#11 Posted : 8/9/2008 7:55:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

swim girl just started seeing a knew doctor and think she was misdiagnosed by her larst doctor.He took her oss Lexapro and put her on Lamictal,which i take (i like lamicatal)for mood stabilization.He also,like i said put her on this generic form of zoloft.I must say that i have definately seen an improvement in her moods and all in all she's been o.k.,considering that coming off lexapro can be tough but i guess the (zoloft gen.) offset the detox.The one thing that FUCKING SUCKS is ow we cant "travel" together.Mabey, we should look into the ssre alternative and speak it over w/ her doctor,who'm happens to be kind of an older hippie'ish dude (dude doctor :lolSmile.I'm no doctor and do blieve in what benzyme speaks about "big pharma" and doctors over prescribing and not really addressing the real issue but some people actually need to be on meds.Am definately gonna look mare into the ssre,though
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Garulfo
#12 Posted : 8/9/2008 7:58:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My friend was on low doses of paroxetine for months and had no problem with DMT, maybe he was even more sensitive to it. A foaf was really, really helped by SSRI's (along with a good doctor).

benzyme
#13 Posted : 8/9/2008 10:20:52 PM

analytical chemist

after the 1990 ban of Tryptophan in the US, due to a tainted batch from Japan (tryptophan is primarily produced by bacterial cultures) this raised some eyebrows, because shortly thereafter, Prozac took the market by storm. given the choice between prozac or any ssri and l-tryptophan, i'll take the latter every time. http://www.lef.org/fda/fdaban95.html

I've taken zoloft and celexa, and while i prefer the latter if i had to take an ssri, i think the class as a whole isn't as effective as SSREs
http://www.tianeptine.com/

*edit* I may be a bit paranoid and possibly going left-field with the 'conspiracy' claim (i'm also concerned with things like remote viewing), but ssri's do dominate the antidepressant market, and I favor alternative treatments that do not dull the mind.

Dwhitty76
#14 Posted : 8/10/2008 3:14:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanx for the link,benzyme.Gonna do a little homework.

idtravlr
#15 Posted : 8/10/2008 10:48:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Guys - take the advise you're being given here with a serious grain of salt. Much of the information given in this thread regarding SSRI's and SSRE's is purely speculative and / or even flat out false. Please do your homework before changing or dropping your medication entirely! I know you guys are smarter than this, but I stil have to say "don't just trust some dude on a forum with your mental health"!

My understanding is that SSRI's do interfere with shit drugs such as MDA, MDMA, etc., but do not have a negative effect on drugs like DMT, Psilocybin, LSD, etc. If anything, they can help reduce anxiety while taking psychedelics that might otherwise send one into a fearful trip.

I'm not a doctor and I'm not suggesting you go one way or the other with your meds vs. your recreational drugs. All I'm suggesting is that you do your research and make sure you're getting accurate information from a qualified and reputable source.

All the best!
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

benzyme
#16 Posted : 8/10/2008 2:53:41 PM

analytical chemist

indeed

do your homework. don't take the word of some random guy over the internet, but don't put all your trust in someone with a framed paper who'll write you a script for a general 'cure-all pill', then write a script for ritalin to the next unruly 5-year old that walks in.
of course new drugs, whose actions are not fully understood, will be passed off as "unproven", despite being effective. should not deter one from searching deeper, for a possibly more effective treatment.
but ultimately, only you will know what works best for you, not your doctor, or some guy on the internet. if it really works for you, stick with it.

Dwhitty76
#17 Posted : 8/10/2008 8:30:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

when making a a major desicion in one's life and when it has implications on mental or physical health one should alway's do their homework and get 2nd,3rd and 4th opinions and then make a desicion that makes sense and use caution.I'm grateful that there are people here that can give information whether it is biased or they have deep conviction in what they say.Only a closed minded ,naive peabrain would take what one person sais as that absolute truth and only alternative.So thanx for giving your wise words of caution idtravir, i also want to thank benzyme for his/her input and information that he/she has based on his/her experience.Thankfully swim is not on any ssri's, so it wont effect his journey's, he's just bummed that his girl might have some issues.It's forums like this and sites like erowid that help provide information and ideas to promote mind exploration and safest ways to do so.Swim is grateful for everyone here.

benzyme
#18 Posted : 8/11/2008 1:43:26 PM

analytical chemist

idtravlr wrote:
If anything, they can help reduce anxiety while taking psychedelics that might otherwise send one into a fearful trip.

not necessarily,
that's what benzodiazepines and propranolol are for. a person on SSRIs is still susceptible to anxiety, a symptom of excessive glutamate/norepinephrine signalling

Dwhitty76
#19 Posted : 8/11/2008 5:35:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

in regards to what idtravir said about ssri's not effecting dmt.Swim thought it was strange that his girlfriend never had an issue "getting off" when smoking dmt before she was on ssri's then after a week of being on this generic version of zoloft (ssri) ,she smoked more than enough needed and she did not feel a thing.Erowid claims that it has an effect on dmt.I believe there is someone else taking ssri's in this thread that also is having a hard time getting the effects,which leads swim to believe that ssri's do block the spirit molecule.

Tripples
#20 Posted : 8/11/2008 10:00:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah - me - 30mg of Citalopram (SSRI) per day, and I loaded 100mg, actually it was .12g so more like 120mg smoked and the walls breathed but it was over in about 1 or 2 minutes

12NEXT