We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Star Trek Psilocynin Options

Spock's Brain
#1 Posted : 2/11/2011 9:47:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I was just watching some Star Trek The Next Generation, Season 7, episode: The Eye of the Beholder.

During one scene Dr. Crusher, Lt. Worf, and Commander Riker discuss "elevated levels of 'Psilocynin', a neurotransmitter involved in telepathy," in Counselor Troy.

Sometimes I re-watch Star Trek episodes.

Well...

All the time actually...

"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 2/11/2011 11:05:38 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I do too...saw the traveler recently Wink

Star Trek is full of neurotransmitters

Shayku
#3 Posted : 2/11/2011 11:21:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

another star trek 'substance' reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hvix3_wOQ0 - at 4:44

I'm also a Trekkie, on a journey to watch all aired episodes. There's a LOT of psychedelia in Star Trek, it's pretty amazing in fact.

SWIM is Spartacus!

The things posted on DMT-Nexus by Shayku are generally false. They are for entertainment purposes only.

Metanoia
#4 Posted : 2/11/2011 11:43:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a little boy, watching the original with my mother.

It wasn't until I got older and started using psychedelics that I noticed all these references. I've watched every episode probably more than five times over. I love sci-fi.

Spock's Brain
#5 Posted : 2/21/2011 12:32:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I was just watching some Star Trek Voyager season 1, episode 12 "Heroes and Demons."

The Holographic doctor speaks with a warrior character from a holo deck story version of "Beowulf."

They encounter some growths in the forest and the warrior proclaims, "look... fortune is with us!!! Attuta a most powerful plant," and begins collecting specimens.

The Doctor asks, "what exactly do you intend to do with it?"

The warrior replies, "we brew the Attuta into a broth which we drink before battle, it brings on the spirit of the bear, and gives us strength to swing our swords."

To which the Doctor replies, "It's more likely to bring on profuse sweating, convulsions, and acute delerium... This is an Amanita Muscaria, a fungus common to sub-arctic climates, and let me assure you quiet poisionous..." As the doctor confiscates the specimens...

To which the warrior replies, "Yes but those it does not kill it makes strong, a most hearty plant!!! Are you a master of herb-lore?"

and the doctor replies, "well in a way I suppose I am..."

"Infinite Diversity, in Infinite Combinations."

Metanoia
#6 Posted : 2/21/2011 2:21:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In the Voyager episode "Sacred Ground", Janeway is bitten by a hissing snake-like creature called a "nesset" which allows her to contact the "spirit world".

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sacred_Ground

I should sit a while and come up with all the episodes I can think of that involve some sort of altered state/drug use. There are many.

Metanoia
#7 Posted : 3/11/2011 4:24:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dioxippus wrote:
I should sit a while and come up with all the episodes I can think of that involve some sort of altered state/drug use. There are many.

Well, I actually did it. Smile This will undoubtedly "out" me as the serious Trekkie that I am. Laughing These are episodes that I am pretty certain the people who frequent this forum will find interesting.

Here's the list I put together for Star Trek: The Next Generation & Star Trek: Voyager. I'm not as familiar with Deep Space Nine, but that one is next Laughing

Star Trek: Voyager

"Alice" Episode 6x05
"Barge of the Dead" Episode 6x03
"Bliss" Episode 5x14
"Cathexis" Episode 1x13
"The Chute" Episode 3x03
"Coda" Episode 3x15
"Deadlock" Episode 2x21
"Emanations" Episode 1x09
"The Fight" Episode 5x19
"Persistence of Vision" Episode 2x08
"One" Episode 4x25
"Non Sequitur" Episode 2x05
"Nemesis" Episode 4x04
"Memorial" Episode 6x14
"Infinite Regress" Episode 5x07
"Projections" Episode 2x03
"The Raven" Episode 4x06
"Remember" Episode 3x06
"Repression" Episode 7x04
"Sacred Ground" Episode 3x07
"Scientific Method" Episode 4x07
"Shattered" Episode 7x11
"The Thaw" Episode 2x23
"Twisted" Episode 2x06
"Unimatrix Zero" Episode 6x26
"Waking Moments" Episode 4x13

Star Trek: The Next Generation

"Allegiance" Episode 3x18
"Birthright, Part I&II Episode 6x16&17
"Cause and Effect" Episode 5x18
"The Chase" Episode 6x20
"Eye of the Beholder" Episode 7x18
"Parallels" Episode 7x11
"The Nth Degree" Episode 4x19
"Night Terrors" Episode 4x17
"The Next Phase" Episode 5x24
"Masks" Episode 7x17
"Journey's End" Episode 7x20
"The Inner Light" Episode 5x25
"Genesis" Episode 7x19
"Frame of Mind" Episode 6x21
"Phantasms" Episode 7x06
"Realm of Fear" Episode 6x02
"Remember Me" Episode 4x05
"Rightful Heir" Episode 6x23
"The Royale" Episode 2x12
"Schisms" Episode 6x05
"Shades of Gray" Episode 2x22
"Symbiosis" Episode 1x22
"Timescape" Episode 6x25
"We'll Always Have Paris" Episode 1x24
"Where No One Has Gone Before" Episode 1x06
"Who Watches The Watchers" Episode 3x04

obliguhl
#8 Posted : 8/3/2011 6:07:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just got surprised by said scene..hilarious Very happy

Metanoia
#9 Posted : 8/3/2011 8:25:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I forgot about this thread! I had a few of the Deep Space Nine episodes listed, I'll have to finish the list now Very happy

nen888
#10 Posted : 8/10/2011 1:35:45 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..can anyone remember which episode Capt. Kirk remembered he "..was floating in time & space"?
has been used as a sample in psychedelic music.
..always loved the Vulcan mind-meld BTW..recall hearing Gene Roddenberry was an entheogen advocate...

obliguhl
#11 Posted : 8/24/2011 7:30:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Another one from the last TNG episode:

Quote:
No, usually a temporal shift would leave some sort of tryptamine residue in the cerbral cortex

Shocked

..and, how the whole series concludes, is truly outstanding and validates the whole 7 seasons. The first time i've watched it, i did not understand, the second time, i had some clues...but now, i get it. Brilliant!

humblebee
#12 Posted : 8/25/2011 4:28:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

What a great thread! I always loved Troy, she is sexy.
Upon return from hyperspace-"Wow I have a body with arms and legs and everything!"

btw-It's all true!

5 Dimensional Nick
#13 Posted : 8/27/2015 11:19:15 PM

"Full of multiversal flow!"

Star Trek is one of the trippiest programs ever. LOVE IT... pity they've fucked it now Sad

Deep and fun on so many levels.

Quick question I used to wonder about because I don't think its actually answered in Star Trek but the Q live forever and are omniscient and omnipotent etc.

Is the only thing they don't know or can't know is what happens (if anything) to mortals when they die?

Live long and prosper.
"Anonymous around the mouse, hyperspace black ops in my house,
A technical itch you can't ignore, viral like that magic spore,
Laced in life like a blockchain, special characters around my name,
They got game like Nintendo flow, it's always the same you will know,
I can't be pinned down like a Q-Bit, my architecture all neuromorphic,
On the roof if the internet had one, fire escape's fibre optic dragon." Onepacman

SpartanII
#14 Posted : 8/28/2015 12:06:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's interesting how many of the gadgets in the show resemble modern/upcoming technology.

http://mentalfloss.com/a...r-trek-gadgets-now-exist

Also, there's a Voyager episide in which Chakotay uses his Native American knowledge of lucid dreaming to save the ship from aliens that exist in the Dream Realm.Thumbs up

Good stuff.

Metanoia
#15 Posted : 8/28/2015 3:13:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Huge trekkie here Very happy

I don't think the question of an afterlife comes up with the Q during TNG, Voyager, or DS9. That would've been one of the first questions I asked!

I love that episode Spartan, Chakotay is probably my favorite Voyager character. Well, maybe second to Neelix Very happy Some of the best episodes are Chakotay episodes. That episode you're talking about is on my list Wink

The thing about Star Trek gadgets is that they actually have influenced our modern technology. We may not even have cell phones as we know them if Mr. Roddenberry hadn't come up with the flip-open communicator in the original series Thumbs up The same could be said about the technology used for automatic doors in places like shopping malls and grocery stores.

Personally, I can't wait for holodecks Laughing

EDIT: I never did end up finishing that DS9 list. I need to rewatch that series again.

2nd EDIT: Currently watching http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wire_(episode)

Great episode Thumbs up

TGO
#16 Posted : 8/30/2015 3:46:27 AM

Music is alive and in your soul. It can move you. It can carry you. It can make you cry! Make you laugh. Most importantly, it makes you feel! What is more important than that?

Welcoming committee

I have never really had the chance to get into Star Trek but tonight, on one of those channels that plays old shows played:

"Cloud Minders" (Season 3 episode 21)

I found the whole concept of equality (or inequality) among humans/humanoids to be well displayed in this episode, as well as the ignorance and closed mindedness of the "people in charge" ...

Up until now, I have only seen random episodes here, there and everywhere but now I think I will be watching much more of this show, especially after reading this thread!

Love
New to The Nexus? Check These Out:

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

Metanoia
#17 Posted : 9/20/2015 8:38:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hiyo Quicksilver
#18 Posted : 9/21/2015 12:10:39 AM

just some guy

It was ideas from those like Roddenberry, Heinlein, P.K. Dick and Ray Bradbury which opened my young mind to a place from which I would later come to appreciate psychedelics, occult study and consciousness as a whole as I do today... I can't say that these people pointed me toward psychedelics, but when I did find them on my own, those ideas they shared with me gave me a strong place from which to begin my own personal journey.

I have a huge respect for these people who so finely hone such a campy and offbeat art as science fiction into a means to convey such large and deep ideas as it so beautifully does. Terry Brooks once remarked in the liner notes of one book or another, "Fantasy is the only canvas big enough to contain the stories which I have in me to tell"... And this is one of my favorite things about the art; That these authors can communicate such deep and inspiring messages between the lines of a corny space adventure that can even be laughable at times. Big grin

pau
#19 Posted : 9/21/2015 12:40:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

There's Lt. Troy, then there's Dr. Crusher,and you got your 7 of 9. Who's it gonna be?
My bet's that Troy doesn't need psychedelics, Crusher loves them, and they have no effect on 7. So I have no problem at all leaning to Beverly.
pau attached the following image(s):
trek2.jpg (40kb) downloaded 102 time(s).
trek1.jpg (107kb) downloaded 101 time(s).
trek3.jpg (27kb) downloaded 101 time(s).
WHOA!

Metanoia
#20 Posted : 9/21/2015 4:53:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know exactly what you mean Hiyo, as I get older and have more experience with psychedelics I have really come to appreciate what these great science fiction authors have done for me. They've given me so much; gave me the basis for which I built a lot of my personality. Captain Picard was like a father figure for me going through adolescence. I was also enthralled with the complexity of Middle Earth and everything Tolkien as a young boy.

Roddenberry was the first. Heinlein, Philip K. Dick, Bradbury, Frank Herbert...they all came a little later to the party. But they definitely were there as a guiding force, providing insights, even a moral compass. I have so much to thank fiction for it's unreal Smile

Corny sci-fi that always puts a smile on my face, I'm not sure it would be the same without those cheesy moments. That is part of its allure, its charm Wink

@pau: I know she's not the most popular character in the series but I bet taking a trip with Kes would be friggin' fantastic Love Neelix too Thumbs up

12NEXT