We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1112131415NEXT»
Bufotenine Extraction Options

Ethnochemist
#241 Posted : 2/15/2009 8:33:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, so swim starts his extraction on Monday (excited!). SWIM really wants to get this extraction right this time. He's kind of flaking between using ammonia or sodium carbonate. It seems that ammonia would probably be better since there's better coverage of base and seed material. But that's what it seems like in swim's opinion.

It just seems better than mixing two solids, and then getting them a little wet. The smell could be bad, but adding 10% ammonia making the seeds wet but not watery...and then just drying them in the oven at 250F seems like less of a hassle, less ingredients to deal with for the acetone pulls.

Any thoughts?

The only reason swim is asking is because he only does extractions on all of his material at once (almost all of it), and he doesn't have the many opportunities, so he just wants to make the process easier. Under normal conditions, swim would just test it out himself.

Thanks,
E.C.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

69ron
#242 Posted : 2/15/2009 9:06:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ammonia will work pretty well. It will take longer to dry and smell up your house though. That’s why few people use it.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Ethnochemist
#243 Posted : 2/15/2009 6:28:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the advice.

Another quick question. SWIM will be using Ace Hardware Acetone. Is it really necessary to dry it with MgSO4? Even if there was water in it (5% maybe..at most), does it make a huge difference in purity? Even after washing with MEK:Heptane.

SWIM can see a potential yield loss when doing acetone washes on his fumarate salts, but he still has a little 100% that he can use for that (and that stuff is expensive! $50 per gallon).

E.C.

psychonaut
#244 Posted : 2/15/2009 8:32:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ethnochemist wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Another quick question. SWIM will be using Ace Hardware Acetone. Is it really necessary to dry it with MgSO4? Even if there was water in it (5% maybe..at most), does it make a huge difference in purity? Even after washing with MEK:Heptane.

SWIM can see a potential yield loss when doing acetone washes on his fumarate salts, but he still has a little 100% that he can use for that (and that stuff is expensive! $50 per gallon).

E.C.

it will yield an impure product. Just take epsom salt and dry it in the oven. Add it to the bottle of acetone, shake up and let it mingle for a few hours. Just decant directly out of the bottle and you have anhydrous acetone!

Ethnochemist
#245 Posted : 2/16/2009 12:23:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes swim understands that it will be a little more impure since the water will pick up a few toxins, but do these toxins get picked up by the MEK:Heptane as well?

E.C.

psychonaut
#246 Posted : 2/16/2009 1:04:22 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ethnochemist wrote:
Yes swim understands that it will be a little more impure since the water will pick up a few toxins, but do these toxins get picked up by the MEK:Heptane as well?

E.C.

your end product may have some impurities, but the MEK:Heptane mix should clear it up so the amount is negligible(though you may have to do more than 1 cleanup).

Kannamate
#247 Posted : 2/16/2009 11:06:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

if swim has only 10 seeds would is there any easy quick way to extract, or maybe s just so he doesn't need to use as much material, or is just mixing with lime/water the only way worth his time?

kemist
#248 Posted : 2/16/2009 12:03:16 PM

John

10 SEEDS Laughing Laughing Laughing
As a kemist I never met ILPT in physical form and never talk to him. He share his wisdom, trough my mind, telepathicly only. Please don`t prosecute me, for his possible illegal activities. He is bonkers about chemistry and doesn`t even exist in this primitive reality !!!

endlessness
#249 Posted : 2/16/2009 2:25:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

is a cold xylene defat necessary? SWIM wonders because if anyways the bufotenine will crystalize once the xylene cools down, then it shouldnt make much of a difference as whatever is soluble in cold xylene will stay dissolved in it once bufotenine precipitates, no?

the other thing, how much xylene is necessary for the boiling part per, say, 50g of yopo basified powder?

69ron
#250 Posted : 2/16/2009 3:51:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
is a cold xylene defat necessary? SWIM wonders because if anyways the bufotenine will crystalize once the xylene cools down, then it shouldnt make much of a difference as whatever is soluble in cold xylene will stay dissolved in it once bufotenine precipitates, no?

the other thing, how much xylene is necessary for the boiling part per, say, 50g of yopo basified powder?

A cold defat with xylene wouldn’t hurt, but I’m not sure how much it will help either.

Yopo normally contains 1-3% bufotenine. Some strains contain up to 7%, and some strains of Vilca contain up to 12%, but the average is 1-3%. I’d say more than 90% of the seeds out there have about 1-3% or less.

Assuming 5%, which is more than probably 98% of the seeds out there, and the solubility of freebase bufotenine in boiling xylene being 1.5 g/100 ml, you’d need 333 ml for 100 grams. For 50 grams you’d need 166 ml of xylene.

See the Bufotenine Solubility thread for more information on it’s solubility.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

endlessness
#251 Posted : 2/16/2009 3:57:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

excellent, very good info

SWIM will attempt probably today and will post back results. Though if it goes good and his old yopo snuff yields bufo, he most likely wont smoke it until he has scored some limonene or at least some pure alcohol to redissolve and help getting rid of eventual xylene.

endlessness
#252 Posted : 2/16/2009 8:28:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM needs some help

as always, practice is different than theory Very happy

SWIM boiled the xylene, put the yopo snuff in the pot and let for 5 mins.. then he proceeded to separate. he had envisioned that he could filter with a funnel and coffee filter, but it clogged immediately. He ended up having to use a much coarser filter for stuff to go through, and it definitely did not came out some clear xylene. It came a quite dark brown/greenish colour. How do SWIY do this part of separation from boiling xylene?

SWIM imagines that if there is any bufotenine present, it will start to precipitate on the current glass where it is getting colder, but how will he separate from all the dark stuff? will the bufotenine stick to the glass so he could just pour the rest out? How long does he have to wait?

thanks!

endlessness
#253 Posted : 2/16/2009 11:38:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM's bufotenine extraction failed

he used some old ready yopo snuff.. No idea how good the actives keep this way..

he started with 99g of two different kinds of yopo snuff

he then put a pot on top of a hotplate he just bought (which funnily enough smelled a lot like DMT when he took it out of the box)

Boiling xylene smells incredibly bad! Nobody should ever consider doing this in an apartment or anywhere where they have close neighbours. SWIM was in very open isolated and ventilated room, had a mask on, and it was still damn nasty

anyways, after boiling he tried passing through filter, as said, but it blocked immediately, so he had to use t-shirt kind of filter which let pass too much crap together. This is what he was left with:

after hours of waiting in a cold temperature, basically he saw no crystals. He poured the liquid off in hope of finding something on the bottom, but there was only some oily dark stuff. maybe there was some crystals in between but it looked very dirty. There is not much desire for SWIM to go on in this little experiment.

Maybe next time with fresh seeds and all he will do this again, specially if he finds a way that does not need this stinking xylene. For now he gives up.

69ron
#254 Posted : 2/16/2009 11:58:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You can't filter the xylene. You need to decant it really fast. The bufotenine starts crystallizing as soon as the xylene stops boiling. That’s where it went wrong.

Also it might be a good idea to defat with xylene first considering the dirtiness of the snuff. SWIM hasn’t tried it ever with material that wasn’t first defatted.

endlessness
#255 Posted : 2/17/2009 10:01:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ok thanks for the info, next time SWIM knows.. In what kind of containers do SWIY's use to boil the xylene and pour it out? more like tall and thin, or?

SWIM has a glass now with the coarsely filtered xylene. There is something on the bottom, which is probably a lot of gunk also, but who knows maybe some bufo.. He was thinking of pouring it out, and the last part pouring/scrapping over some dish and then on top of the hot plate to help evaporate..

at what temperature does bufotenine vaporise (sorry if the info was already out there, maybe SWIM even asked before haha)?

69ron
#256 Posted : 2/17/2009 4:29:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
ok thanks for the info, next time SWIM knows.. In what kind of containers do SWIY's use to boil the xylene and pour it out? more like tall and thin, or?

A tall form Pyrex or similar heat resistant glass beaker is probably the best to use. After boiling for 5 minutes decant it really fast into another container leaving the impurities in the bottom of the beaker.

You can’t use a filter because the bufotenine will start crystallizing as soon as the xylene stops boiling so it will crystallize right inside the filter structure and clog it.

endlessness wrote:
SWIM has a glass now with the coarsely filtered xylene. There is something on the bottom, which is probably a lot of gunk also, but who knows maybe some bufo.. He was thinking of pouring it out, and the last part pouring/scrapping over some dish and then on top of the hot plate to help evaporate..

at what temperature does bufotenine vaporise (sorry if the info was already out there, maybe SWIM even asked before haha)?

There’s probably some bufotenine in their along with a lot of other junk. A second proper xylene boil might help clean it up a lot. Or maybe a xylene defat prior to a xylene boil.

Note that the xylene only needs to be at a very mild boil for 5 minutes, not a vigorous boil. It might be hard to do the xylene boil trick if using snuff. Its easy to do when using an extract because all the insoluble toxins stay at the bottom of the xylene as a dark brown thick syrup. It's very easy to decant it and leave behind the dark brown syrup because the syrup is easy to see and pours very slowly compared to the xylene.

I think a lot of the bufotenine would have probably got stuck in the filter used earlier.

Bufotenine has a boiling point of 320 C (608 F). Most commercial electric vaporizers cannot get hot enough to vaporize bufotenine. You’ll need to use a flame. You need to smoke it like it’s salvinorin A.

Ethnochemist
#257 Posted : 2/17/2009 4:51:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

69ron wrote:

Bufotenine has a boiling point of 320 C (608 F). Most commercial electric vaporizers cannot get hot enough to vaporize bufotenine. You’ll need to use a flame. You need to smoke it like it’s salvinorin A.

Oh really? SWIM will try to vaporize it in his test tube pipe, but if that proves too hard (as it did with near pure salvinorin A), he will make those little cigarette papers by dissolving the bufotenine in acetone, then dripping it onto little papers. Works like a charm for Sal-A, but on the other hand, a superpowerful dose for swim is 2 hits of 3mg of Sal-A, and the crystals pretty much don't stick onto the paper after 3mg/dose. Trying to fit 15mg might be tricky, unless the crystals stick really well.

Or swim can make the enhanced leaf, but he would rather cut down the smoking material to as little as possible.

E.C.

endlessness
#258 Posted : 2/17/2009 11:52:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

very good info ron.. Though SWIM will next time see if there is some way of extracting without xylene, which stinks too much for SWIM's taste, doesnt feel all that healthy. Would be wonderful to develop a food safe bufotenine tek

just out of curiosity.. when SWIM added the snuff to the boiling bufotenine, it made quite a reaction, sort of like when adding food to hot oil. Is this normal? or should one add the product inside the xylene in the beginning while its cold, so there is no temperature shock and it can stay quietly in the bottom from the beginning?

Infundibulum
#259 Posted : 2/18/2009 12:07:30 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

One should really try the limonene in place of xylene. SWIM does not really fancy boiling xylene.

Or even try limo:acetone instead of heptane:MEK.

It is sad that lately SWIM has neither the resources neither the time to do experiments.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

69ron
#260 Posted : 2/18/2009 12:40:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ditto that

SWIM would like d-limonene instead, but doesn't have the time to test it right now Sad

SWIM would like to use d-limonene in all the techs requiring non-polar solvents. A mix of acetone and d-limonene is not that so bad. You can get food grade d-limonene and the acetone sold for doing your nails is USP grade (because it can get into cuts in your skin so it needs to be USP grade by law as far as I understand it).

I'm willing to bet that d-limonene will work in place of xylene. Even though it's more non-polar, it's chemical shape is very similar to xylene and it's boiling point is high enough that it would cause the bufotenine to melt, and that's the key to getting bufotenine soluble in xylene. If bufotenine is not melted, it's insoluble in xylene, only when it melts does it become soluble in it. I’ll bet the same is true for d-limonene, but the solubility is probably a little less. This test is high on SWIM's "things to do list" with his pure bufotenine when he has some free time.

«PREV1112131415NEXT»