We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Veggie Oil Extraction Log Options

amor_fati
#41 Posted : 4/19/2011 8:56:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Harmalosa wrote:
but i added water and sodium carb, and spread it out into a paste, dried it, then added just a few drops of water, and swirled them around a bit then poured the drops onto a glass tray just incase you know..

A few drops? Really?

Quote:
So after it dried i scaped it up and it basically turned my resin ball into some dry brown flakes, and it seemed to have gained some mass,
but when i checked the drops of water i poured off afer they had evaped, There were some mostly white semi yellow chrystals completely separate from/ on top of, what looked like exess sodium carb/yellow gunk, They were definetly nice xtals!!

Sounds like there wasn't enough washing if mass was gained, as that would be leftover sodium-carb. Be careful in the wash, as you may end up with freebase droplets floating around, and these need to be made to stick together and adhere to the dish if that happens. Furthermore, what sort of acid was used? Vinegar may not work well with these sorts of freebasing techniques, as too much freebase may end up in suspension and will be washed away.

Quote:
how could we perhaps use it to get x-tals from this tech??

The only way to get proper freebase crystals from any tek is with slow crystallization and/or heptane. Manual crystallization will yield waxy, clay-like chunks.

Quote:
P.S i ended up acetone washing the flakes, and that yielded a resin ball just like the others..??

Resin in the sense of hash-like? Hard to say without pictures. Acetone typically yields waxy flakes but can be made to yield chunks through manual methods.

SWIM's decided to elaborate on the impurities he's finding when evaping vinegar:

The first photo is of the precipitates after evaping vinegar used in salting, diluted at ~1:2 with water. This after an IPA wash to remove residual oil and a bit air-drying. The precipitates are bone dry in this photo.

The second photo is of the precipitates having been scraped up. The consistency is waxy but doesn't adhere easily to itself, as it's quite flaky and could probably only be compressed into a resin to achieve a solid chunk.

The third is the remnants of vaporization. It's a dry powder and gives the vapor a sweet taste, as if caramelizing (as has been mentioned previously). Apart from throwing off the weight of the product, this powder will clog air passage if allowed to accumulate in a smoking device. SWIM still isn't sure whether this impurity originates in the vinegar or is carried over from oil and limonene, but he doesn't think it's anything that could dissolve in oil of any kind. Again, he's only seen this substance after evaping vinegar no matter what he's used it to salt from.
amor_fati attached the following image(s):
P1060313.JPG (1,448kb) downloaded 898 time(s).
P1060319.JPG (1,666kb) downloaded 904 time(s).
P1060320.JPG (1,802kb) downloaded 905 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

BecometheOther
#42 Posted : 4/19/2011 11:48:05 PM

metamorhpasizer

Hey thanks for the reply

Yes I used vinegar for th acid, and seeing what you have left there after evapping the vinegar makes me glad I did the acetone wash, I don't thin the impurities
Made it through that, it lost a lot of weight and closely resembles my growing collection of other acetone washed resin balls. Just so were clear Is that only vinegar evaporated there or are there goodies i n there?

As far as resembling hash, yes somewhat but id say a little dryer its not gooey at all they are pretty hard and dry, they range from a gray color to a light tan color
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

BecometheOther
#43 Posted : 4/19/2011 11:48:45 PM

metamorhpasizer

Ill put a pic up of the veggie balls later
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

amor_fati
#44 Posted : 4/21/2011 5:34:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmalosa wrote:
Just so were clear Is that only vinegar evaporated there or are there goodies i n there?

Yep, that's from salting. SWIM just kept vaporizing and cashing, and the third picture is the result. There's probably still a little in those larger chunks, as there is a faint odor--mostly impurities though.

Quote:
As far as resembling hash, yes somewhat but id say a little dryer its not gooey at all they are pretty hard and dry, they range from a gray color to a light tan color

Sounds like SWIM's chunks. Semantics, I suppose.

At the very least, SWIM's managed to vaporize his product without even the slightest taste of acetic acid, so far, and if not for this impurity, this would definitely be an effective and simple means of achieving a smokable product. His other concern is whether, in the absence of these impurities, a solid product would be achievable. In any case, he's evaporating a different brand of vinegar to test whether the same impurities would be present.

amor_fati
#45 Posted : 4/21/2011 3:51:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well, no luck with Heinz distilled white vinegar. The photo is what it looks like when one evaporates it straight from the store. This has not been used in any part of an extraction.

For SWIM, that largely puts to rest the possibility of utilizing acetate's beneficial properties. He is, however, experimenting with IPA and vinegar, so we'll see where that goes.
amor_fati attached the following image(s):
P1060322.JPG (1,695kb) downloaded 871 time(s).

BecometheOther
#46 Posted : 4/21/2011 8:30:36 PM

metamorhpasizer

But once you wash with acetone, would those imputities make it through?? Thx for your work on this

amor_fati
#47 Posted : 4/21/2011 8:55:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmalosa wrote:
But once you wash with acetone, would those imputities make it through?? Thx for your work on this

Wouldn't think so, but SWIM will report when he does. His smoking device is such that he will be able to confirm this one way or another.

BecometheOther
#48 Posted : 4/21/2011 9:20:43 PM

metamorhpasizer

Again thx a bunch amor, this is worth figuring out lol!
Ill continue experimenting with these methods and reporting my findings as well, I have achieved a much more smokable product than the first time I did it which was slightly oily and just did not want to burn well for me, and there is still room for improvement, but it does the trick nicely for now

amor_fati
#49 Posted : 5/13/2011 12:55:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah, great to be back. Thanks a bunch to Traveler for all his cunning, genius, and vigor.

SWIM's about ready to throw in the towel on vinegar as a salting reagent. He just hasn't been able to get near as decent a product as he has with fumaric acid. A simple drytek with IPA didn't work for SWIM in purifying the product, as it still had that awful smell and was far too hydroscopic for the typical freebase SWIM's come to appreciate. The teks will be updated accordingly.

Oddly, I can't imagine how the impurities would make it through distillation, since they're apparently not volatile--must be added after the fact, but why? Simple home distillation may be the only way to feasibly rectify this (for most).

I'd modify this technique with a double boiler:

BecometheOther
#50 Posted : 5/18/2011 7:49:18 AM

metamorhpasizer

hi amor,
are you saying that the impurities in the vinegar make it through your IPA wash? So likely some also make it through acetone washes that I do at the end?
Maybe i should just get some fumaric acid already lol.

thanks

amor_fati
#51 Posted : 5/20/2011 12:10:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Harmalosa wrote:
hi amor,
are you saying that the impurities in the vinegar make it through your IPA wash? So likely some also make it through acetone washes that I do at the end?
Maybe i should just get some fumaric acid already lol.

thanks

Could be that the filtration was slightly inadequate, but it works well in every other case but this one (with conversion from acetates), it's really not worthwhile to SWIM. Fumaric acid is really cheap, but it'd be not nice not to have to order. SWIM'll just press on with fumaric for the time-being, but he'll try a simple distillation of vinegar if he ever gets around to it.

amor_fati
#52 Posted : 8/25/2011 6:06:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM's been working with glacial acetic acid, lately. He's salted with water and a bit of acetic acid, evaped at about 150F after separating from the oil, achieving a product with no detectable hint of residual acetic acid but a very nice and familiar odor. He may have been able to solidify the product had he applied a bit of technique to do so, but instead, he had fashioned a sort of cone with stainless steel pipe screen and used that to scoop up a bit of goo and load it into the piece as it was (screen and all)--really a cinch, as far as the method goes (detailing this later on down the road).

He achieved some of the best visuals he's yet had and one the most satisfying sessions he's had in a while (the disappointment of the old vinegar trials weighed fairly heavy on him for some time).

q21q21's instincts on the matter of the acetate approach are definitely correct, though beware of vinegar and go for glacial acetic acid if you can get it. This is the quickest way of achieving a smoke-able product straight from an extraction. He'll forgo the usual fumaric approach for acetic in coming trials.

PREV123