We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Best way to filter powdered root bark - Vovin Tek Options

mataylor
#1 Posted : 2/2/2011 12:29:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi, so I have done extractions before and I am currently a fan of Vovin tek. Previously, I bought rough bark and ground it myself, but I recently came across some pre-ground, extremely fine root bark powder. I am used to using a Buchner filter apparatus with a hand pump on previous extractions, however, the powdered bark seems to instantly clog the filter and takes ~1 hour to pull like 10ml. I know not to add much liquid to the filter, and to use multiple filter papers, but it really seems like it instantly clogs.

Anyways what I'm wondering is, what is your favorite way to do the acid extractions and subsequent filtering with powdered bark? Laboratory vacuum pumps are crazy expensive, and I know theres got to be a better way. I already use pretty coarse filter paper, should I use a more porous substitute like coffee filters? Should I fridge decant between each acid extraction and just siphon off the top layer?

Thanks for the input

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

joedirt
#2 Posted : 2/2/2011 12:31:59 AM

Not I

mataylor wrote:
Hi, so I have done extractions before and I am currently a fan of Vovin tek. Previously, I bought rough bark and ground it myself, but I recently came across some pre-ground, extremely fine root bark powder. I am used to using a Buchner filter apparatus with a hand pump on previous extractions, however, the powdered bark seems to instantly clog the filter and takes ~1 hour to pull like 10ml. I know not to add much liquid to the filter, and to use multiple filter papers, but it really seems like it instantly clogs.

Anyways what I'm wondering is, what is your favorite way to do the acid extractions and subsequent filtering with powdered bark? Laboratory vacuum pumps are crazy expensive, and I know theres got to be a better way. I already use pretty coarse filter paper, should I use a more porous substitute like coffee filters? Should I fridge decant between each acid extraction and just siphon off the top layer?

Thanks for the input

Pillow case.
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

gibran2
#3 Posted : 2/2/2011 12:35:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

mataylor wrote:
...Should I fridge decant between each acid extraction and just siphon off the top layer?

Thanks for the input

Yes (no need to put in fridge). Powdered MHRB settles very quickly. This is a nice mess-free way to do it!
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

mataylor
#4 Posted : 2/2/2011 12:47:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

awesome, thanks for the tips. much appreciated

actualfactual
#5 Posted : 2/2/2011 4:53:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

anything cotton like an old t-shirt

Rivea
#6 Posted : 2/2/2011 8:23:04 PM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

I cut out a round disk of white cotton and put it in my Buchner funnel. It works like a champ.
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

justine
#7 Posted : 2/2/2011 8:27:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
mataylor wrote:
...Should I fridge decant between each acid extraction and just siphon off the top layer?

Thanks for the input

Yes (no need to put in fridge). Powdered MHRB settles very quickly. This is a nice mess-free way to do it!

I agree, I always decant and pour rather than filter and it works great Smile
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

Trickster
#8 Posted : 2/9/2011 2:58:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expert

I've noticed that the final product quality depends on how well the acidic solution is filtered prior to basification.

justine wrote:
I agree, I always decant and pour rather than filter and it works great Smile

It does, indeed, although it takes ~12 hours for the solution to clear and settle completely.

gibran2 wrote:
Powdered MHRB settles very quickly. This is a nice mess-free way to do it!

I experimented a few times by decanting the solution after an hour first and leaving it to settle for another 8 hours. Always there was more sediment, almost as much as after the first decanting, only finer.

If I am in a hurry I use vacuum filtering. What works for me, is progressive filtering. First I use a cotton ball, then a coffee filter and then a couple of lab filter discs of varying density. With some experience it takes ~30 min to filter 0.5l of acidic solution to complete clarity.

mataylor wrote:
Laboratory vacuum pumps are crazy expensive

A basic water aspirator is sufficient and it costs a few dozen dollars only.
Do not seek the truth, just drop your opinions.