We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Anyone care to confirm my reishi harvest? Options

Lavos
#1 Posted : 1/28/2011 6:36:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've wanted to hunt mushrooms for a long time. I'm just now starting to enjoy myself and follow my whims, and so I've been poking around in more woods for longer times lately. Mushrooms have really struck my fancy now. I've only pulled about a total of 20 fruits off of trees over the last few months that I've been doing this more. 5 here, 6 there, etc.

Saw these the other day after reading about Reishi mushrooms. Let me know what you think. I've torn one little one down, cut out some of the mold, it's quite soft inside actually, gives a bit, like tiny slices of packed styrofoam or cardboard.

...*Ahem* Uhh, I'm clueless as to how I attach an image from my pc. Can I only link an img from a url?

edit: I'm surprised by my fortune, they appear to be authentic reishi, albeit a bit old, still moist inside.
Lavos attached the following image(s):
finds1.jpg (151kb) downloaded 168 time(s).
finds2.jpg (77kb) downloaded 166 time(s).
finds3.jpg (75kb) downloaded 166 time(s).
finds4.jpg (164kb) downloaded 168 time(s).
My ego is insane, but I'm alright

The path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom. -William Blake

Lavos is a fictional character, a dream inside a dream. Don't take what he says to be true or representational of reality in any known form. He is inspired by pure fantasy.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

endlessness
#2 Posted : 1/28/2011 9:41:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yes link or just next to the "edit" / "quote" buttons on the top of your message there should be an attach button

Lavos
#3 Posted : 1/28/2011 12:39:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ah, thank you. Apologize for the rough img, best I can produce for now.

Lavos is a fictional character, a dream inside a dream. Don't take what he says to be true or representational of reality in any known form. He is inspired by pure fantasy.

Lavos
#4 Posted : 1/29/2011 12:57:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

These things are drying up, I want to use them fresh if possible. Anyone who can say that this could be something other than ganoderma lucidum?

Astralking
#5 Posted : 1/29/2011 12:59:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, don't think they're psychoactive. Dunno though.

You should post at shroomery or mycotopia. You can prolly get a positive ID there.
No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

۩
#6 Posted : 1/29/2011 1:24:31 AM

Please learn to ID properly before ingesting any fungus.

There are many books on this. You can also post pictures on the shroomery identification forum for expert advise.

That looks different from reishi to me, but I'm not an expert.

DMTripper
#7 Posted : 1/29/2011 2:26:49 AM

John Murdoch IV

Don't eat any shrooms unless you are absolutely sure what it is.
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

Lavos
#8 Posted : 1/29/2011 2:28:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Right, I'm such a noob man. I've read that there is nothing poisonous closely related or that looks similar. I was trying to go with that.

I won't rush to ingest anything I've found. I didn't go all that deep, could surely find more.

I need the Mushroom Cultivator and a field guide. Ah, no fan of to do lists. I'll post more if I find out anything.

edit: I guess I understand people do that stupid shit, eating fungus they are not knowledgeable about, but my intelligence is insulted. Everyone around my house has been saying the same thing and I've been giving them shit for it. Maybe I gave off the wrong tone at the start of things. There is no way I'm going to eat something unless it is quite certain it is okay, or at least that there is nothing toxic that , shit, whatever, thanks for the warning.

I'll be as certain as I possibly can. I've already picked about 8 or 9 varieties and haven't thought of consuming any until I got this marbled red discs that look much like reishi.

elphologist1
#9 Posted : 1/29/2011 3:33:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm not an expert, but I'm fairly familiar with what various psychoactive mushrooms look like. I've never seen anything that looks like that among psychedelic mushrooms.

I definitely would not ingest those. As Astralking mentioned, I would recommend you post the same pics at shroomery.org if you are curious as to what the mushrooms actually are.

elphologist

cker
#10 Posted : 1/29/2011 4:32:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It's worth reading a little about mushroom poisoning. It should convince you to be certain before eating unknowns. bad_mushies]

Lavos
#11 Posted : 1/29/2011 4:58:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The caps were quite shiny initially. After I brushed the mud off anyway. Was growing on what looked like dead oak, within 10 feet of a nice wide creek. No little 'E.T.' like fingers, I noticed that about the lucidum, they all seem to sprout from long stems, which seems uncommon on dead trees. Hmm, yeah, no orange and white colors on the young ones.

Best bet is to look again after some rains I think. I just hate to let such a powerful medicine go to any waste, already two are dry as rock. Now I feel bad. Confused I'll post some other pics.

I've read about a handful of poisonous mushrooms. As far as reading goes though, I read on one site that there were no poisonous poly pores,and nothing resembling the reishi that is toxic. Just what I read last 2 or 3 days.

edit: no spore dust, umm, the gills inside are brownish, the spore 'pad' ? is golden brown, with a lighter yellow or white ring near the stem.

Lavos
#12 Posted : 1/29/2011 5:03:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Wow, nice post elru, useful. I'll have to go over this.
Lavos attached the following image(s):
1.JPG (94kb) downloaded 102 time(s).
2.JPG (53kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
3.JPG (143kb) downloaded 99 time(s).
4.JPG (157kb) downloaded 99 time(s).

Lavos
#13 Posted : 1/29/2011 5:10:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I couldn't help but add my other finds, it was fun, I found a little bucket down there and all.

Thanks elru, maybe I can take them to a local university? I know that would satisfy the relatives, Laughing

Yeah, I see a lot of too perfect specimen when image searching fungus.

edit: habitat for the white one was on dead oak also I believe, in a more moist environment, creek not carrying water. Sometimes also seen at the bottom of trees.

Lavos
#14 Posted : 1/29/2011 5:17:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Latex coming from the gills? I don't think so, they are not odd to caryy, though the last few times I've found these big guys they've all been a little over saturated, a little fallen and soggy like. I hadn't a clue that they looked like oysters until someone else said so. Between 2 places I know, I'm seeing about 9-11 varities of mushroom. Got another place I wanna check out soon. Just to see what I can find. Not in a big rush to find something of worth, just to learn how they work.

This being only the second or third time I've picked more than fits in my hand, I would be very greatful to run into something as good as oysters or reishi. If not, happy hunting anyway.

Lavos
#15 Posted : 1/29/2011 5:22:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Habitat for the large white mushrooms was very similar, growing on a fallen dead oak. In a very moist area, near a creek, which does not carry water often. Sometimes also at the base of large hardwoods.

۩
#16 Posted : 1/29/2011 5:41:46 AM

Lavos
#17 Posted : 1/29/2011 5:45:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree house, but they are rejecting my connection. So, I'll have to make a login there another time.

idtravlr
#18 Posted : 1/29/2011 6:20:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like a Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor) to me, which is a quality edible fungus (but don't take my word for it!!!) It could also be a Reishi. If you want a quick answer, just forward your pics up to Paul Stamets at Fungi Perfecti up in Seattle. He's a pretty accessible guy, and as long as you're not pinging him on psychedelics he should be very open to helping you identify.

EDIT: After closer review, I agree with the others. Those look more like Reishi than Turkey Tails.

Good luck, and I'd love to see a post back once clearly identified.

Peace,
-idt
I am not a drug addict seeking escape from reality. I am an explorer of consciousness challenging consensus reality.

…is DMT dangerous? The answer is only if you fear death by astonishment… [crowd laughter]… Remember how you laughed when this possibility was raised… a moment will come that will wipe the smile right off your face.
-Terence McKenna

Lavos
#19 Posted : 1/29/2011 7:07:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It appears to be quite common for fingers to be lacking in North American specimen, especially in the south. They are also prone to turn more brown on both the tops and bottoms with age or drying.

So again, these were found on dead oak, laying down near moss and the like. I almost completely missed them. They were small and even with a layer of mud, shiny. Quite woody breaking off. A little juicy on the underside. Moist inside as being broke up 2 days later. Underside colored various shades of brown, with a light yellow or white ring at the center around the stump. They measured about 1-2cm thick, tapering off around the edges, and 2-6in diameter. The spores do seem to number more than 5 but less than 10 per mm.

I'm cutting it up now, and will, as long as my battery allows me, take some more pics as I go.

I'm just making ritual as of now, won't ingest until I hear back from Mr. Stamets

Thanks guys

edit: to add, spore dust is also red brown.

Lavos
#20 Posted : 1/29/2011 8:33:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I forgot I had an account over at Shroomery. Anyways. Ganoderma lucidum. It smalles nice when breaking up and boiling. I'll post some pics as I got a couple.

12NEXT