We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
-physicist-explains-why-parallel-universe may exist Options

Felnik
#1 Posted : 1/25/2011 3:48:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting interview with physicist Brian Greene

http://m.npr.org/story/1...llel-universes-may-exist
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

gibran2
#2 Posted : 1/25/2011 4:13:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Hugh Everett was another physicist who proposed parallel universes, but for different reasons. He had a “many-worlds” interpretation of quantum physics. It is actually much more elegant than current interpretations originating from Niels Bohr. One reason his ideas didn’t catch on is because (I speculate) the huge ego and power that Niels Bohr wielded in the physics community at the time.

The “many-worlds” interpretation doesn’t require us to “believe” many of the strange things that current interpretations do (such as observation influencing outcomes of experiments, etc.) and this makes the interpretation much less mysterious. Of course, it requires us to accept that there are infinitely many parallel universes, and that’s a hard pill to swallow for some.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

clouds
#3 Posted : 1/25/2011 5:01:00 PM

Human

Michio Kaku says the same

Virola78
#4 Posted : 1/29/2011 8:29:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
...The “many-worlds” interpretation doesn’t require us to “believe” many of the strange things that current interpretations do (such as observation influencing outcomes of experiments, etc.) and this makes the interpretation much less mysterious. Of course, it requires us to accept that there are infinitely many parallel universes, and that’s a hard pill to swallow for some.

We all have our own hard to swallow pills, dont we?

Anyway, interesting guy that you bring to the table. I see in the link you posted some reference to different interpretations of the many worlds. Unfortunately no referenc or details about the double slit, about how that experiment could be interpretated otherwise, like without "observation influencing the outcomes of experiments."

But i will find it if it is there.

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

talking monkey
#5 Posted : 1/29/2011 2:22:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Will watch video. I just bought his book on Thursday. "The Hidden Reality" was looking for something else and it jumped out at me. Will start it tonight or tomorrow.