We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
cleaning a heavily tar-stained glass bong Options

corpus callosum
#1 Posted : 1/16/2011 8:53:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

Good evening to one and all!

Im sure many here have had this issue to deal with and I guess there will be a number of methods employed to do the job.

The quickest and most effective way I have come across simply involves sticking the mucky glass bubbler in some hot water to get the glass to warm up, then filling it with IPA (clearly how full you make the bong with IPA would depend on the size of the bong;for a tool about 6-8 inches tall I would fill it to almost the half-way mark).

Next I add some ROCK salt (a tablespoon or so for the bong size mentioned above), ensure any holes in the glass bong (ie carb, or end of mouthpiece) are closed and simply shake vigorously.The bong will be fully rejuvenated surprisingly fast, in less than 1 minute.The IPA acts as the solvent for the tarry residue with the rocks of salt acting as an abrasive scrubber.

There is really no reason to have to use a heavily contaminated bong at all.Any Nexians have other methods to achieve this?
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Eden
#2 Posted : 1/16/2011 9:16:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I use the same method.

For bowls, I have a tupperware container filled with with IPA and salt. Just plop it in and shake.
I haven't cleaned the thing out in months and it positively reeks of DMT, though I'm not exactly tempted to collect any leftovers. Smile

SnozzleBerry
#3 Posted : 1/16/2011 9:19:31 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Assuming your tubes/bubblers/bowls and other smoking accoutrement are borosilicate glass and not the cheaper, soft-glass types, the easiest method I've found is to use oxy-clean and boiling-water.

I boil a bunch of water in the microwave or tea kettle,
I place a partial scoop of oxy-clean in each tube and use tin-foil to seal off the slide-hole (the slides are removed and placed in the same tupperware as the pipes),
place all of my pipes in a wide square tupperware container and add oxy-clean to each bowl as well as into the container, for my bubblers I do the same thing.

Then, I place all of my pieces/containers in the sink and add small amounts of boiling water to each of them, the oxy-clean foams up significantly, so you don't want to use too much water or you waste a lot of oxy-clean and it becomes pretty inefficient.

At this point I just allow them to sit and cool, once they're cool I rinse them out thoroughly, leaving them looking sparkly and new...

I'm actually going to clean my pieces tonight and would be more than happy to do a before/after picture...and although none of mine are too dirty, this method will clean the filthiest, nastiest pieces with practically no effort
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Red Eclipse
#4 Posted : 1/17/2011 2:05:00 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Eden wrote:
I use the same method.

For bowls, I have a tupperware container filled with with IPA and salt. Just plop it in and shake.
I haven't cleaned the thing out in months and it positively reeks of DMT, though I'm not exactly tempted to collect any leftovers. Smile

I second this. All I have ever used for cleaning glass is salt and rubbing alcohol (IPA).

For cleaning smaller bowls, downstems, etc... try boiling water, removing from heat, soak glass, then continue to salt/IPA shakefest.

Touche Guevara
#5 Posted : 1/17/2011 2:33:53 AM
DMT-Nexus member

IPA and salt (coarse grain if available) is all you need. I'd never boil water to clean a pipe; once saw a friend's $300 bubbler sitting on a shelf suddenly crack in half as it cooled to room temperature.

Metanoia
#6 Posted : 1/17/2011 3:02:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Touche Guevara wrote:
IPA and salt (coarse grain if available) is all you need. I'd never boil water to clean a pipe; once saw a friend's $300 bubbler sitting on a shelf suddenly crack in half as it cooled to room temperature.

I've witnessed such atrocities as well. Not from cleaning, but after a session my friend put his $400 bubbler on his desk beside the stereo system. The vibration from the stereo must have made it crack because it was just sitting there and it split in half. We both just sat there staring, in awe.

IPA + rock salt is all I've ever used. Too afraid of cracking glass from temp. changes Very happy

hummus
#7 Posted : 1/17/2011 7:36:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If it's only dmt residue on it, I find at least with pipes squirting lemon juice in it makes it disappear surprisingly quickly.

DiMiTriX
#8 Posted : 1/17/2011 9:38:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

alcool and than wash it imo
Tz'is aná

rumplestiltskin
#9 Posted : 1/20/2011 10:41:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Acetone owns IPA + salt, IMO. IF you're like SWIM there's gonna be chunks of resin at the bottom that only acetone can handle. Remove grommet if it's not glass on glass and rinse very well after of course. Nothin' like clean glass though.
Good morning.... good afternoon.... goodnight,
what have you done with your life?
Everybody's time come to be embraced by the light,
you're only scared to die when you're not living right.

SnozzleBerry
#10 Posted : 1/21/2011 2:55:40 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

If your pieces are borosillicate (i.e. labglass, such as roors, toros, or other name brands and some local blown stuff as well) you have no need to fear boiling water anymore than if you were pouring it into a pyrex erlenmeyer flask.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

CosmicFool
#11 Posted : 1/21/2011 4:32:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I bought some of this:
Schmand Weg, Bong Cleaner

Works like magic! just mix a tablespoon of that stuff in a liter of hot water, pour it in the bong and shake a little and your bong will be clean as a whistle in no time.

Im not sure what that stuff contains but it really feels a lot like your regular washing detergent.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

SHroomtroll
#12 Posted : 1/25/2011 1:46:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I just put my glassware in the dishwasher, works fine and gives my dishes a nice dmt smell

RobMarley
#13 Posted : 1/25/2011 4:41:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rumplestiltskin wrote:
Acetone owns IPA + salt, IMO.

I agree. Acetone rips right through that resin with no problem.

You don't even need to use salt with acetone because its such a strong solvent.
Transcend The Limitations of Physical Reality.

ohayoco
#14 Posted : 2/6/2011 4:12:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Second dishwasher!
Everything I write is fictional roleplay. Obviously! End tribal genocide: www.survival-international.org Quick petitions for meaningful change: www.avaaz.org/en/
End prohibition: www.leap.cc www.tdpf.org.uk And "Feeling Good" by David D.Burns MD is a very useful book.

Phlux-
#15 Posted : 2/6/2011 6:13:37 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

Acetone + salt ftw
bong smokers - do u still smoke spliffs ?
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

RobMarley
#16 Posted : 2/6/2011 7:33:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Phlux- wrote:
bong smokers - do u still smoke spliffs ?

Only at concerts or music festivals. Or if I'm on the go.

Never at the house.
Transcend The Limitations of Physical Reality.

Observant
#17 Posted : 2/6/2011 10:40:34 AM

Nothing Stops The Void

So what do you do with all these solvents after cleaning ?
How do you get rid of it, just toss it into the sink?

I think schmand weg is just a more expensive form of oxy clean
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

camakazi
#18 Posted : 2/6/2011 12:23:29 PM

RUN DMT

I use MEK for these jobs. All the bongs and stuff I use for green have a vaporisor attached so dont get too tarred up.. its mosty just cooled THC that builds up over time, so I want to collect this and rework it. A tiny puddle of mek will dissolve the resedue instantly, even the fumes will melt any build up round the sides without the actual liquid touching it. The glass is left looking brand new and once evaporated the mek leaves behind some nice honey oil as clean as any done with butane.

For all my DMT and Changa devices I used to just spend some time at the sink with hot soapy wated then rinse until clean, now I'll just do the same thing with the mek (not so much with changa pipes) and collect and recrystalise leaving DMT as good as the day I first made it. "waste not want not"
"accept the possibility that you may never come back, then your mind is truly open."
____________________________________________________________________________________

The playful ballad of the sacred salad.

welsh trip head
#19 Posted : 2/9/2011 5:02:31 PM

martin

nice one for the advise Smile
True strength isn’t muscle, it's the mind it's limitless, it’s the heart it won't ever stop loving, it’s the spirit it can’t be crushed, it’s the soul it’s inextinguishable.

heavenlypursuit
#20 Posted : 2/12/2011 6:55:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rumplestiltskin wrote:
Acetone owns IPA + salt, IMO. IF you're like SWIM there's gonna be chunks of resin at the bottom that only acetone can handle. Remove grommet if it's not glass on glass and rinse very well after of course. Nothin' like clean glass though.

^^^^ Two thumbs up to that one. Acetone makes the dirtiest glass bong look brand spanking new in miutes. Then rinse through with hot water for a minute or two and you're good to go. I laugh at people that spend 10 bucks on that Agent Orange crap or other resin cleaning products. What a waste of money.

12NEXT