We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Does coca traditionally grow on islands? Options

Entropymancer
#1 Posted : 1/15/2011 3:26:50 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Among the articles I've read discussing the regions of South America where coca was grown when the Spanish started exploring the New World, I haven't found any that mention it being grown on islands off the coast. I know that some drug plants are grown on islands as well as the mainland (like Anadenanthera species), but I don't know if this is the case with coca.

The reason I'm curious is because of a particular account that's often cited as the first written mention of coca chewing (it's also sometimes mentioned as an early account of tobacco... but of course it's hard to be sure since the plant itself isn't described). It comes from Amerigo Vespucci (the guy that America is named after), and it describes a group of Indians that chewed green leaves constantly, to which they applied lime by the means of a stick moistened in the mouth. But when I went back and read the actual letters written by Vespucci, he mentions that this observation occurred on an island off the coast of South America, not on the mainland. That sent up red flags, since coca isn't generally cultivated at sea level (it is occasionally, but mountainous regions are much more common habitats). Between that and the fact that it occurred on an island, and I haven't encountered any other accounts of traditional use on islands, I suspect the green leaf was in fact not coca.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

corpus callosum
#2 Posted : 1/15/2011 3:33:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

If Im not mistaken, I remember reading that Erythroxylum Coca does grow wild in small quantities in Sri Lanka.Portugal (and ??Spain) had influence there many moons ago.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

Entropymancer
#3 Posted : 1/15/2011 3:47:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Yeah, I know it was introduced to various European island colonies, particularly off the coast of the Indian subcontinent. As I recall, the crop on Sri Lanka was planted in the second half of the 19th century so the European powers could get coca leaf for cocaine extraction without having to buy it from Peru.

polytrip
#4 Posted : 1/15/2011 7:28:14 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Why couldn't indians have brought it to those islands, before the europeans came?
Also, climatological conditions can easily have changed in a few hundred years time so that plants could have grown there naturally first, before the people started cultivating them.
Archeological finds have shown that the vikings grew grapes on greenland.