We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Recrystallisation with acetone Options

Viracocha
#1 Posted : 7/27/2008 12:24:41 PM

..still lc..

The freebase is freely soluble in acetone, however it seems that the acetone will not dissolve an non polar oils. I could be wrong as this is only going on preliminary observation, but nonetheless I am curious

Has anyone tried this?

It may be quite beneficial over rex with shellite / naptha as when either of these solvent are heated, the will pickup some of the oil again.

Due to the freeze precipitate properties of shellite / naptha, they may still be the preferred solvent for rex, but perhaps for crystal growing acetone may be perfect due to it's high evaporation rate without needing any help

Also,
http://en.wikipedia.org/...table_of_common_solvents
Could someone shed some light on how the properties of solvents (i'm guessing the dielectric constant value has the most impact) varies the solubility of a given solute?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 7/27/2008 4:30:40 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Freebase is indeed very soluble in acetone . SWIM has tried your suggestion but has not been amazed - neither has reached any greater levels of purity with it. SWIM also thinks that acetone can dissolve non-polar oils as good as spice.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Viracocha
#3 Posted : 7/28/2008 1:42:22 AM

..still lc..

hmm bummer..

what about for crystal growing?
maybe evaporation is too fast... perhaps shellite is perfect
bah, if it ain't broken don't fix it i always say..
well, it was worth a thought at least

Any comment on the dielectric constant?

69ron
#4 Posted : 7/31/2008 8:58:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM has crystallized DMT in acetone before. It works, but not as well as heptane. Sometimes crystals don't form in acetone, especially if a fan is used because it evaporates too fast for crystals to form. When crystallizing with acetone don’t use a fan or any heat.

You can probably crystallize DMT citrate better in acetone than freebase DMT.

Acetone dissolves a lot of non-polar stuff: oils and fats, freebase alkaloids, etc. But it also dissolves some polar stuff too. But it is very selective in what it dissolves at both ends.

Acetone can dissolve freebase bufotenine which is slightly non-polar. It can also dissolve citric acid which is very polar. If you dissolve freebase bufotenine in acetone and add citric acid, it precipitates bufotenine citrate which is also very polar. Acetone is unusual in this way. This same trick also works for some other alkaloids, but it doesn’t work for DMT. Freebase DMT and DMT citrate are both soluble in acetone.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

burnt
#5 Posted : 7/31/2008 2:20:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

the more soluble DMT is in a solvent the harder is will be to get it to recrystallize. yea as ron pointed out the salts may recrystallize easier but it all depends on the solubility. freebase stick with straight chain hydrocarbons like hexane and heptane.