We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
salvia! Options

lewinii
#1 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:17:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ordered a salvia plant online from what i assuming is a trusted site. i wont name it on this post.

when it comes, placing it in water vase is the first step. grow it inside a dome and gradually acclimatize making sure that the soil is always moist. dont require insane amount of sun, should be fun to grow. i will have to grow it inside thou untill spring thou

oh and i think this is just great work here. its by daniel siebert, shown on wiki.pedia
"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

gibran2
#2 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:22:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expertSenior Member

Great!

I’ve been growing my own salvia for years. It’s very rewarding.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Also, many salvia sites/forums recommend lots of humidity – humidity tents, frequent misting, etc. Salvia grows just fine without all of that extra and unnecessary treatment. In fact, the excess humidity encourages rot.
gibran2 attached the following image(s):
43inches.jpg (64kb) downloaded 127 time(s).
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Swarupa
#3 Posted : 1/12/2011 11:33:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Beautiful plant gibran

Global
#4 Posted : 1/13/2011 12:05:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

I used to have that picture as my desktop wall paper...and no, not gibran's plant Wink
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

Limeni
#5 Posted : 1/13/2011 12:16:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran - do you ever get little brown spots appearing on the leaves?...and if so, have you worked out what causes it?

Thanks Cool

Lim

lewinii
#6 Posted : 1/13/2011 1:40:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

great specimen i love it. the green is imprinting my mind its so cool loooking. should i worry about the ph of the soil? i have no read much information relating to ph.
"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

gibran2
#7 Posted : 1/13/2011 3:52:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Limeni wrote:
gibran - do you ever get little brown spots appearing on the leaves?...and if so, have you worked out what causes it?

Thanks Cool

Lim

I once had a gnat infestation – they left brown spots.

Here’s a general rule for salvia – less is more. Put your plants in a place where they’ll get bright indirect sunlight, use a good quality potting medium (I use Miracle Grow Moisture Control mix), keep the soil moist but not saturated, and generally leave them alone. (They know what to do. Smile )

@ Lewinii – I’ve never tested nor adjusted pH.
gibran2 is a fictional character. Any resemblance to anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Metanoia
#8 Posted : 1/15/2011 3:27:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lewinii wrote:

oh and i think this is just great work here. its by daniel siebert, shown on wiki.pedia

That painting is by Mark P. Maxwell

He's also on deviantart as shufflelot

Awesome salvia-inspired art.

rOm
#9 Posted : 1/15/2011 6:09:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This plant you show is amazing Gibran.
A question do you use artificial light for the winter ?
Smell like tea n,n spirit !

Toke the toke, and walk the walk !

gibran2
#10 Posted : 1/15/2011 6:45:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rOm wrote:
This plant you show is amazing Gibran.
A question do you use artificial light for the winter ?

I only use natural light. I grow 3 indoor “crops” of about 3-4 plants each year. A spring crop, planted usually in April, a Summer/Autumn crop planted in August, and a winter crop planted in late November or early December. I harvest each crop after about 4 months, take cuttings and begin again.

The December crop doesn’t get much light during the winter and always has the lowest yield. The Spring crop grows like crazy. The photo is a Spring crop plant.

Using this method, I get a yield of 300-400g of dried leaf per year. Considering that I only smoke the equivalent of about 10g per year at most, I’m accumulating a bit of a surplus. I’ve been growing salvia this way for over 3 years now – it all started with one mail-order plant.

Mister_Niles
#11 Posted : 1/15/2011 9:04:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

@gibran2 - I have been considering buying a salvia plant, but I'm hesitant to have a live plant shipped during the winter. Do you have any input on this? I've never really grown anything.... without eventually killing it, but I really want to try again. Actually, now that I think about it, I've grown herbs for cooking.. but their survival most likely had something to do with my wife.
Is salvia divinorum as hearty as Salvia officinalis? I recall digging through the snow to get some regular sage for meals.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

gibran2
#12 Posted : 1/15/2011 9:15:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
@gibran2 - I have been considering buying a salvia plant, but I'm hesitant to have a live plant shipped during the winter. Do you have any input on this? I've never really grown anything.... without eventually killing it, but I really want to try again. Actually, now that I think about it, I've grown herbs for cooking.. but their survival most likely had something to do with my wife.
Is salvia divinorum as hearty as Salvia officinalis? I recall digging through the snow to get some regular sage for meals.

Salvia is very sensitive to cold and to extreme heat. Depending on where you live and where you’re ordering from, it’s probably best to wait until spring. I ordered my plant in early November 2007 – after the summer heat and before the winter cold.

Salvia grows best in bright indirect sunlight. It adapts well to a wide range of humidity. Under ideal conditions (good light, rich potting medium kept moist but never saturated) I’ve had plants grow about 1/2 inch per day!

I’ve grown it outside, but found that bugs really love it and too much heat slows its growth. Indoors seems to work best.

lewinii
#13 Posted : 1/16/2011 9:09:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ive ordered a additional two plants from a friend at another forum. one is multi-headed i cant wait to get them here. lets hope they make it over.

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

Mister_Niles
#14 Posted : 1/17/2011 12:18:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gibran2 wrote:
Mister_Niles wrote:

Salvia is very sensitive to cold and to extreme heat. Depending on where you live and where you’re ordering from, it’s probably best to wait until spring. I ordered my plant in early November 2007 – after the summer heat and before the winter cold.

Salvia grows best in bright indirect sunlight. It adapts well to a wide range of humidity. Under ideal conditions (good light, rich potting medium kept moist but never saturated) I’ve had plants grow about 1/2 inch per day!

I’ve grown it outside, but found that bugs really love it and too much heat slows its growth. Indoors seems to work best.

Thanks, I'll wait until spring. I am looking forward to growing a salvia plant. I've only used salvia a few times, so I need to do more work with it. I think being involved in the whole process of growing, harvesting, making tinctures etc. will be a nice experience.

Another question: Are cats interested in these plants? I have 4 cats and I don't want them to take a nibble and get a nasty surprise. Anyone have experience with this?
I guess I could also grow some plants that the cats would be FAR more interested in, like catnip. I don't want to take any chances though.
Thanks.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

lewinii
#15 Posted : 2/26/2011 2:49:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

forgot that i have this thread! must update right now.

Swim has recieved a plant from a friend, could not find any sellers that send to canada.
its been growing well, but ran into a bug problem, dont know what to do next!

heres its life over about 3-4 weeks.

when it arrived it was basically dead.

life again. 'zombie plant'

now.

BUGZ I NEED TO GET RID OF FAST!~

please help me find a organic/safe way to remove these PESTS without damage to salvia..

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

neZ
#16 Posted : 2/27/2011 4:23:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What exactly am I looking at here? Looks like the plant was DOA, then you planted that underground and the green leafs sprouted?

I don't think the pictures are clear enough to be able to identify the bugs.

Is re-potting an option?