We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Could you be diagnosed as schitzophrenic? Options

Ice House
#1 Posted : 1/10/2011 4:08:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

I dont know if The subject of this thread really gets at what I want to ask.
What I mean is -

Assuming you have experienced many breakthrough doses or had many aya/pharma experiences

do you think if you underwent phsycho therapy/diagnosis and you were totally honest with yourself and the evaluator about how you experience reality, could you be diagnosed with a mental disorder?

I was thinking about this today because, for some reason, hyperspace and salvia land have been bleeding through into my normal unalterd conciousness. Subtle perceptual changes things that are very different about how I experience life, so much more different now. There are perceptual changes that have happened to me, I believe if I explained them to someone trained, I would be considered mentally ..... ill? Maybe suffering from psychosis?

Have you ever scrutinized yourself and wondered?

How far off from the norm am I now? Maybe nothings normal in this random chaos we live in.

How far off baseline? Am I making sense?

lol
Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Ellis D'Empty
#2 Posted : 1/10/2011 4:33:07 AM

Snirfneblin

I think I would have been declared legally insane even before I started with my psychedelics....

That being said, I do believe in terms of "mental illness" that defines like 99% of the population? Heard that somewhere.... anyways, I think it would really all have to do with whom your being... "interviewed"? by?

As, I doubt I would think you were crazy, and you might even think I was, but I'm sure that any "institution" would say we have a brain disorder. (Probably to many hallucinogens Pleased Pleased )
01:13:08 ‹Ellis DEmpty› I met the people living in my head... I disturbed them while they were sitting down at the table.... They were as shocked as I was!

We were born too soon to explore the cosmos, and to late to explore the earth. Our frontier is the human mind; religion is the ocean we must cross.

corpus callosum
#3 Posted : 1/10/2011 4:55:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

I think if you were to chat to a psychiatrist with full frankness relating to your experiences they would probably label you as having some kind of personality disorder for taking psychedelics in the first place.

If you were able to function normally ie meet your responsibilities and not come across as disturbed then I doubt you would be diagnosed as psychotic;Im sure the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-a book which outlines the features of all the different categories of psychiatric illness/problems) has some categories that the esteemed head-shrink would slot you into, such as HPPD.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

actualfactual
#4 Posted : 1/10/2011 5:04:11 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Psychiatry is pseudoscience and I don't really care how they would choose to label me.

Mindlusion
#5 Posted : 1/10/2011 5:04:26 AM

Chairman of the Celestial Divison

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Nah your probably completely right, we are all outright psycho by our society's standards.

Ive been called crazy all my life, I don't have any diagnosable mental illness though.

Its ok to be a little crazy
Expect nothing, Receive everything.
"Experiment and extrapolation is the only means the organic chemists (humans) currrently have - in contrast to "God" (and possibly R. B. Woodward). "
He alone sees truly who sees the Absolute the same in every creature...seeing the same Absolute everywhere, he does not harm himself or others. - The Bhagavad Gita
"The most beautiful thing we can experience, is the mysterious. The source of all true art and science."

Tribal
#6 Posted : 1/10/2011 5:04:42 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I agree that probably 99% of people could probably be diagnosed with some kind of mental disorder/illness. It's interesting how many new pharmaceutical drugs pop up all the time to treat things that I didn't even know existed (and probably don't, but non-existent disorders don't sell pharms, do they?).

Just about everyone I've ever known is a little crazy in some way or another, myself included. I would rather call it "diversity" instead of "disorder." Call it a preference.

And, yes, psychedelics do tend to bleed into how you normally see things, but I attribute that to seeing things from a different angle rather than as some kind of disorder.

corpus callosum
#7 Posted : 1/10/2011 5:15:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

There are certainly elements of psychiatry which are pseudoscience but I think that conventional psychiatry definitely does help some people.Psychiatrists often dont know exactly how their inputs work but the benefits can be clearly and objectively observed in certain patients.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

proto-pax
#8 Posted : 1/10/2011 5:43:25 AM

bird-brain

Ice House wrote:
How far off from the norm am I now? Maybe nothings normal in this random chaos we live in.

Haha. Not trying to be proud for being a freak or anything, but yeah. I'm a complete "nutter".
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

corridors of my cells
#9 Posted : 1/10/2011 7:54:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Schizo ? who ? me ? nooo ... u are a schizo .. huh. =D

But seriously schizophrenia is not just the nut case u know... it is more about imaginary community you are a member of. More like you have a master, and all servants are around u.. u are one of those servants but only problem is u are alive and they are on the other side. Ur master commands and u should obey or the servant comunity will curse and hoot you. They will be sad and you would not like to see them sad.

So basically it is a way that ur brain produces an alternative after death theory for urself and help you out with your decisions by making your conversations with your own mind a little more louder.

I dunno tho this is what i experienced for a while.. if this is not the schizo case then I dunno what can be a schizo case Razz

endlessness
#10 Posted : 1/10/2011 9:43:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

In america I think they mainly use DSM IV but the international statistical classification of diseases is ICD-10, available online here:
http://apps.who.int/clas...ns/apps/icd/icd10online/
(schizophrenia and other mental disorders are F20-F29).

I think it depends on the psychiatrist to some extent, but I personally doubt most of us would be labelled as schizophrenic considering how functional we are and how we dont exhibit certain key features of schizophrenia (such as auditory hallucinations which comment one's actions, and insertion/ withdrawal of thoughts into/from one's mind).

Though I dont doubt some people would be seen as having delusional or acute psychotic disorders, and while often those would be wrong/biased diagnosis, I wouldnt say that in all cases they would be completely mistaken, as there have been some quite serious psychiatric issues displayed by some people IMHO... Or more likely some would be diagnosed wuth having some kind of "mental and behavioural disorders due to psychoactive substance use" (f10-f19)

Do note though, that they specifically say that schizophrenia should not be diagnosed in the state of drug intoxication or withdrawal, and that in acute psychotic disorders they say specifically that stressful situations a couple of weeks before should rule out this diagnosis

Also another important thing to say is that the statistical classifications are just that: classifications. I think the problem in bad practice is not necessarily related to the classification, but rather to how one would follow once they have a diagnosis. Do you think Rick Strassman or Charles Grob would treat a person the same way as would Dr Conservative Alopathic Prick ? Definitely not.. I have met good doctors and bad ones, and the way they treat a patient is completely different, even if the diagnosis is the same. For example one could give anti-psychotics forever and forget about it (or increase if symptoms dont go away), another could even give some medicine in accute cases but could also have complementary therapy, would support artistic expressions, would search for support of family and friends in the treatment, etc. Also this doctor would have mid-long term strategic plans and would ultimately try to reduce as much as possible the medication in a level that the patient can try to deal with his issues and yet be functional and not hurt himself or others, hopefully quitting medication altogether.

I am very critical of a lot of psychiatric practices too, make no mistake, but I dont have a naive view as many do... I know there is a lot of "killing of symptoms and not treating deep issues", but thats not with all of psychiatry and psychiatrists.

I think its easy to criticize psychiatry and calling it this or that, but have you ever had experience with different schizophrenic or people with other serious mental conditions? Psychiatric patients are not all just "shamans being medicated and losing their powers" or something of the sort. Of course there might be some instances where people are diagnosed as schizophrenic but they are actually going through some psycho-spiritual crisis that isnt necessarily pathological. But there's also people that are suffering greatly and are really having mental difficulties, hurting themselves and others, and psychiatric treatment might be the only way to give them a bit more tranquility to work on their issues and continue life. Im not a psychiatrist, im a psychologist in the educational area so I dont have much direct experience with this kind of mental health but I did do some internship in my studies in a psychiatric hospital and I saw first hand how complex it is.

I believe conservative Big-Pharma-backed mainstream psychiatry does need to go through a big paradigm change and that they have actually caused a lot of damage and numbed a lot of people instead of helping them, but I also think some psychiatrists have seriously saved many lives and were able to help lost souls finding a humane path and a happy(er..) existence.

Magicman
#11 Posted : 1/10/2011 11:27:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dont fully agree with him , but i think it has relevance .

But of food for thought.